Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

What_the
Übergod

Re: Driving Ban for Leadfoot....

Post by What_the »

my5cents wrote:
What_the wrote:Parallel parking was a component of my drivers test.
Why bother anymore with cars that do it themselves.

People picking up what I'm throwing down?

Why bother ???? They don't, haven't for years. I think they still have the component in the driving test, but failing it doesn't mean a fail on your test.

I think it's great that so many can't parallel park, leaves lots of parking spaces for those of us who can.

How did this Forum change from the "Driving Ban for lead foot" to parallel parking ?

You didn't pick up what I was throwing down :)

I was simply throwing "my 5 cents" in. The dude in the car? Stopped really caring about that stuff long ago. 500 hp in the hands of a testosterone filled youngster... what does one think is gonna happen?
I expect that, and I don't expect people to live to my expectations. That is just a set up for disappointment.

I was only commenting on what a few others were saying, derail the thread I may have.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Smurf wrote:The problem being as has already been proven by accidents, self driving /self parking, whatever, cars can have a problem and ask you to take control. Meaning you had better know how to do whatever the car is doing and do it quickly. I have seen too many machines, especially computers fail to do something properly. Those are the same as computers that are in cars, which can also fail. I know it is coming but I believe there are also lots of problems coming. Airplanes for example have to be taken off auto pilot for certain things and frequently have to turn over control during flights.

As far as electronic devices if it is getting so great why is distracted driving one of the top problems and top police priorities on our roads today. Remember I am not talking about 10 years down the road, I am talking about now. Just yesterday we drove down the street beside a young lady who couldn't keep her head up. At three intersections she was late leaving when the light turned green and then stomped to catch up to traffic and hit the brakes at the next light. Do you believe that is safe driving or a problem. We see it all the time on our roads it is not an infrequent happening as I'm sure many others can confirm.

Here is just one bit of information out there about "hands free", there is lots more out there.

And then something happened that changed my mind. For the first time, researchers finally compared hands-free texting with hands-on texting.
The Texas A&M Transportation Institute studied people driving a closed course under three conditions: while texting by hand, while texting by voice (using Siri for iPhone and Vlingo for Android), and without texting at all.
The results surprised me—and troubled me. Turns out it makes absolutely no difference whether you text hands-free or by voice. “Response times were significantly delayed no matter which texting method was used,” the study says. In each case, drivers who were texting took about twice as long to react as they did otherwise. Incredibly, they also spent less time watching the road, even when they were texting by voice.
It doesn't make intuitive sense. It seems as though texting by voice should be safer than looking at your phone. And to be sure, this was only a single study, involving only 43 subjects.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... e-driving/

Why are phones so distracting?2

phone icon Talking and texting on a phone are driving distractions. Texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distractions. Hands-free phones are not necessarily safer than hand-held devices. Your brain has limited ability to perform two tasks at the same time. When driving becomes secondary, you pay less attention to possible dangers on the road. A worker who is driving a motor vehicle while negotiating a complex or contentious business deal over the phone at the same time is at greater risk of being in a crash. In this situation, neither task – driving a vehicle or doing business – gets the attention it deserves.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/distra ... fault.html

I agree it is possibly no worse than talking to the person beside you but it is distracted driving, your mind is not on the road. Do we honestly need more distractions when we are driving. I will guarantee you from what I see on the street every day most of us do not.

I don't disagree with Any of what you have stated.
My question is in this regard- If it's so dangerous, why are cars being manufactured with these components? Why aren't there governing systems?
I actually argued your point almost a decade ago understanding that hands free and hands held are virtually the same. But here we are, hands free being factory installed 19 after the first distracted driving laws were placed in NY.

So again, we've done nothing for this "scourge" except enact a fine then double it 17 years after precedent.

Reactive much?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

And oh, I suggested computer glitches in the carwash mayhem thread but was met with indignance.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What_the wrote:You didn't pick up what I was throwing down :)

I was simply throwing "my 5 cents" in. The dude in the car? Stopped really caring about that stuff long ago. 500 hp in the hands of a testosterone filled youngster... what does one think is gonna happen?
I expect that, and I don't expect people to live to my expectations. That is just a set up for disappointment.

I was only commenting on what a few others were saying, derail the thread I may have.

It was my poor punctuation...

As I understood it, you were saying "why (even) bother testing the applicants ability to parallel park"

My reply is that they test but it doesn't factor the ability in passing or failing the test.

Everyone knows a driver only needs to know how to steer and push the gas pedal (it's the one on the right). Things like the coefficient of friction (big words for "traction" between tires and the road surface), don't mean a thing,,,, well at least until it's too late.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What_the you have never head any disagreement from me on any of that. I think our biggest problem here is "you can't fix stupid". "Alcohol doesn't affect me, I drive better after half a dozen drinks". "Marijuana does not affect your driving". " I am such a great driver and I have such a fantastic car I can safely drive any speed I want". "I can drive in the left lane as long as I drive the speed limit". "I don't have to follow the laws because they are stupid", sorry it's not the laws that are stupid. I think you get my gist.

I can definitely agree with what you say about this equipment in the car but I guess at this point it is the best we have, but it is not the solution. Start with a good fine and take their phone away. Loss of their phone and everything on it will be like a knife in the heart for most of them. Move on quickly to a driver suspension, people might understand that. People have to get it through their head that we can survive without being attached to our phone or electronic device. I truly can't understand why people can't get it through their heads how dangerous distracted driving is.

Things like this get me mad.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... in-langley

Maybe we should go back to the old days when you got to watch some film if you were caught doing certain things. Show them lots of pictures of serious accident scenes where people were killed doing what they were doing. I know a couple of fellows who went through that as young men. One of them actually got physically sick. They both say they changed their driving habits immediately. I do not have the solution but we have to smarten up with our roads getting busier and busier every day.

Sorry if I am off topic but it seems to me that this is all related. Stupid is stupid.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Leave the car out this - it did nothing wrong - it's the driver that has the problem. Talking about crushing a Ferrari is ludicrous.

As for the comments about vehicles not being governed - they already are. Just about every vehicle on the road has its speed governed - although there is no legislation that I know of requiring it. My cars speedo goes up to 320 but is governed to about 220kmh IIRC.

Hitting speeds like the driver of this Ferrari did is possible in any car - I get the argument that it's easier to get pressured into driving that fast because of being behind the wheel of such a car but in all honesty, there are other car segments that are much more of a danger on the roads then a handful of super cars will ever be. The hot hatch movement is in full force with the likes of the Golf GTI, Golf R, Focus ST, Focus RS and now the Civic Type R - all of which are extremely fast cars off the showroom floor but once tuned, they can easily hold their own against a super car.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

That doesn't mean they should ever be driven that way. All it really means is there are probably a lot more idiots out there capable of doing something stupid. I have always thought they should never be allowed to build cars that will go that fast and I have never figured out a good reason for it. Cars with that power should never be licensed to drive on public roads, period. Give me just one good reason why they should.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Smurf wrote:That doesn't mean they should ever be driven that way.

If theres a risk to the public, I agree - but there are times and places where I have no problem where high performance cars can have a bit of room to play.
Smurf wrote:All it really means is there are probably a lot more idiots out there capable of doing something stupid.

Idiots doing stupid things drive vehicles all across the board, and to be honest, theres a lot more of those idiots with poorly tuned Civics with cheap mods (cut springs instead of a proper suspension kit, tires too small or large with stretched tires) then there are high performance, high caliber vehicles. I'd be willing to wager that the responsible high performance vehicle drivers out weigh the irresponsible ones, and that by a long shot. The only reason they mentioned it being a Ferrari is strictly headline sensationalism.
Smurf wrote:I have always thought they should never be allowed to build cars that will go that fast and I have never figured out a good reason for it. Cars with that power should never be licensed to drive on public roads, period. Give me just one good reason why they should.

So, how much power do you feel a vehicle should be allowed to make for public roads? Would you then also feel that after market tunes be completely illegal as well? How far do you want to take the regulations? How do you want to enforce it? What about trucks? If you cap the power on vehicles, does that include pick up trucks? If so then how will people be able to haul their toys around? If not, then how can you justify regulating one vehicle type and not another?

Sorry, but I completely disagree with that part of your post - but thats just me. I feel there are more serious driving related issues that need to be addressed then a small segment of the automotive world.

I also disagree with your earlier post about people loosing their license if they go 15kmh over or under the limit - 50kmh I can see your point but 15km/h is ridiculous - no offence.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Can that car even go 60. lol
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I see where you're coming from Dizzy but I would have to question whether or not people owning these cars are often idiots. As you say there are few of them on the road and yet they seem to be in the news quite regularly and often for accidents. Again those accidents also seem to be serious. in my mind there are as many if not more of them in trouble on a percentage basis. Could be wrong.

As far as trucks etc there are ways for them to have power without being able to go 250 KM's an hour. Also I don't believe on our roads there is any need for a car to be able to go over 150 km's per hour. Can you give me a reason. Having said that I admit I have a 1965 Pontiac with a 327, fuel injection, electronic ignition, camel hump high compression heads etc that will easily go over the limit I stated. I guess no one is perfect.

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree 15 km's is a bit ridiculous but it would get peoples attention and slow a lot of them down. There are away to many people out there who have to get a grip when they are driving. We have away too many tourists, gawker's in BC to have a bunch people speeding all of the time, although I do realize that many of the speeders do have Alberta plates.

I would just like to see people smarten up, drive "legally" and a lot of lives would be saved. By legally I mean simple things like stay in the right land and don't speed. Away too many people feel privileged in that they have the right to do as they please and everyone should work around them.

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

A perfect example of what I am talking about and apparently the trucker was over the legal limit, no need to be so stupid.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--3-.htm

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/204738 ... ot-charged

Charged and named now. Search on the CSO site shows the charge

"MVA - 144(1)(c) Excessive speeding relative to conditions"
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

In Nova Scotia, the Provincial Motor Vehicle Act has an offence called "Stunting". The fine for stunting is $2422,50. Driver License suspended automatically for 7 days and the vehicle is placed under seizure. Recently a 32 year old woman driving 167 km/h in a 110 was charged for stunting and will be penalized with the fine, suspension and vehicle seizure.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Treblehook wrote:In Nova Scotia, the Provincial Motor Vehicle Act has an offence called "Stunting". The fine for stunting is $2422,50. Driver License suspended automatically for 7 days and the vehicle is placed under seizure. Recently a 32 year old woman driving 167 km/h in a 110 was charged for stunting and will be penalized with the fine, suspension and vehicle seizure.

They had it for a while, they don't mess around. Here's a couple from a few days ago.

"Stunting can include driving 50 kilometres-per-hour over the limit, driving without due car or attention, and attempting to spin a vehicle. The fine in Nova Scotia for stunting is $2,422.50, as well as a licence suspension for seven days."

http://www.trurodaily.com/news/local/20 ... ield.html#
http://globalnews.ca/news/3680961/burno ... eal-tires/

Return to “B.C.”