BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

LordEd
Guru

Re: BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

Post by LordEd »

lasnomadas wrote:It would mean that central B.C. was inundated with a 3-day downpour of rain in the meantime.

So the only conceivable reason for no new contract is rain?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Sounds like horgan is god he will make it rain when he gets sworn in. Contracts have a reason, you have to be fairly dumb to yak about coulson when you have not read the why nots etc. :biggrin:
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Right back atcha, Al. Let's read your 'why nots'. Christy didn't have any 'why nots' when she refused to show up at her constituency office to accept the thousands of signatures on a hand-delivered petition, did she? If she'd had an explanation she would have been there. It's the only time in her history as Premier that she didn't show up for a photo-op.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:Right back atcha, Al. Let's read your 'why nots'. Christy didn't have any 'why nots' when she refused to show up at her constituency office to accept the thousands of signatures on a hand-delivered petition, did she? If she'd had an explanation she would have been there. It's the only time in her history as Premier that she didn't show up for a photo-op.

What petition?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I was listening to the Minister of Forests, John Rustad, on the radio earlier and he said that the night vision helicopters that people have mentioned on here are not being used because they haven't been approved by Transport Canada for use in fighting fires. We have NDP'ers on here blaming the government for not using those helicopters but they should take their complaints to the federal government.

As for the Martin Mars bomber, the minister said that it's not being used because it's being repaired. When the repairs are done it will be up to the new government to make a decision. We've had complaints on here from NDP'ers from the beginning, but not from John Horgan (which is to his credit), and each time there has been a logical explanation to address those complaints.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

The Green Barbarian wrote:What petition?
Who knows. If it was important there'd be a link.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:I was listening to the Minister of Forests, John Rustad, on the radio earlier and he said that the night vision helicopters that people have mentioned on here are not being used because they haven't been approved by Transport Canada for use in fighting fires. We have NDP'ers on here blaming the government for not using those helicopters but they should take their complaints to the federal government.

As for the Martin Mars bomber, the minister said that it's not being used because it's being repaired. When the repairs are done it will be up to the new government to make a decision. We've had complaints on here from NDP'ers from the beginning, but not from John Horgan (which is to his credit), and each time there has been a logical explanation to address those complaints.

Pathetic that the NDP tooters still feel the need to stir up controversy, when they don't even have just cause.

Then again they haven't had just cause for a lot of their whining, so I guess it's just business as usual.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Old Techie wrote:
    Pathetic that the NDP tooters still feel the need to stir up controversy, when they don't even have just cause.

Then again they haven't had just cause for a lot of their whining, so I guess it's just business as usual.
Trying to score political points, with bogus information, during a provincial emergency is shameful.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So..

The question remains..

Why haven't night, firefighting aircraft been approved long before this.

And the Martin Mars repaired long ago.

What has the govt. done to encourage this?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:So..

The question remains..

Why haven't night, firefighting aircraft been approved long before this.

And the Martin Mars repaired long ago.

What has the govt. done to encourage this?
According to Coulson, there was a mishap in Oshkosh and the bomber hit the bottom of a lake. Repairs have been ongoing and should be completed by late August.

The two helicopters that Coulson has that are equipped to fight fires at night haven't been approved by Transport Canada for that purpose.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

but under nafta they can . its how canadian craft work there . doesnt matter other countries have already hired the hightech craft . hopefully new govt will takem onboard for following years to come . california is in worse than us because the density of people and besides australia his best craft is saving lives there
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane wrote:

The two helicopters that Coulson has that are equipped to fight fires at night haven't been approved by Transport Canada for that purpose.

Coulson:
"We have offered two Sikorsky S-61 heavy-lift helicopters, each with a 4000 litre capacity and one S-76 command and control helicopter that was in Australia this Spring and is approved to fight fire at night with our Night Vision Goggle capability," Coulson said. He noted that the company is the only commercial operator approved for nighttime firefighting in B.C.

So Urb, what proof do you have that Coulson was not telling the truth, eh?
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    So Urb, what proof do you have that Coulson was not telling the truth, eh?
John Rustad, who I was quoting, said that the aircraft are not approved by Transport Canada to fight fires at night. That's what he said. I have no proof that Rustad is telling the truth or lying. Ditto for Coulson. I also know that John Horgan, who's totally in the loop, has said he has total confidence in Minister Rustad and that everything that can be done is being done. Do you think Horgan is lying?

I do know, from a bit of reading, that night flying to fight fires is challenging and potentially dangerous. And if the aircraft are there to assist ground forces that's not much help at night if there are no ground forces. Anyway, why don't you contact both Rustad and Coulson tomorrow and report back to us?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

its what they live for though urb . with nightvision they can see the ground workers and not dump on them . you should read up on coulson working australia and indonesia . brings me pride that canadians are saving people around the world with hightech firefighting and tankers .

the us military gave them c130 to out fit and fly . the us military doesnt do that for just anyone
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:but under nafta they can . its how canadian craft work there . doesnt matter other countries have already hired the hightech craft . hopefully new govt will takem onboard for following years to come . california is in worse than us because the density of people and besides australia his best craft is saving lives there

Yeah, and now is a really good time to pull crews of a fire or two so we do some experimentation with a new system. Heck, we got craploads of extra firefighters and fire management teams that would love to try this night fighting system out. Tremendous.......they have two, count'em two, 64's with night capabilities, not sure how many crews. If Coulson wants to get a contract with the BC Government they would have to bid it on the Government's terms. ie: if the government wants a bid on S-64 siphon tanker, that's what you bid on, not a night equipped laser targeted specialty rotorcraft. You must have been a godsend for the vacuum cleaner salesman !

The concept has potential, I can see us perhaps moving in this direction in the future, a safe learning curve is a long learning curve.

And frankly, no-one has said if Coulson even bid for a contract !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

Return to “B.C.”