BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: BC libs wont let Coulson work the fires

Post by lasnomadas »

That was the finest comment on this topic, Oldislander. And I suppose you're right about letting the Mars go, but it's hard to do. It's sort of like saying goodbye to a trusted old friend.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

For goodness sakes, the title of this thread is about Coulson air services in general, not about the pros and cons of the Mars bomber..
Last Saturday morning Wayne Coulson approached the BC government and offered to put some of his other newer and smaller water bombers and a few choppers on standby, ready to be used at a moments notice.. The BC government did not reply to his offer..Coulson has now sent those aircraft to the big fires in the U.S..........We now have aircraft from Saskatchewan working our fires.

Right now as I'm writing this rant, I'm on evacuation alert. The fires have really gone crazy today because of the wind...I don't give a flying :cuss: if Coulso is the enemy of the BC Liberals, I'd dearly love to see his aircraft in the sky over my house right now....despite what Horgan is saying about the good efforts of the fire fighters, he's just being politically correct. I have it on good authority Horgan is well aware of the complete gong show that led to the extreme fire situation I'm experiencing right now. He wasn't very happy to learn that crews weren't on fires that started on Friday until the following Tuesday, because of that its now going to be nearly impossible to control these fires.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ As far back as I can remember, without exception, there have always been those who think that the firefighting efforts are seriously lacking. However, there's always room for improvement I'm sure. If what's going on now is truly a "gong show," and Horgan is saying as much privately, one can expect swift and dramatic changes come next week. We'll all be watching.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well yes we will see . now that fires are expanding and the fight is being lost we shall see what people in bc affected have to say onbc fire readiness also . their voice will mean more than horgan or clarks
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nothing new ...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/3695429 ... obile=true

... Coulson just trying to garner attention like they do every year. They seem to be struggling to get Canadian contracts for some reason, must be something they're not telling us.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:^^ As far back as I can remember, without exception, there have always been those who think that the firefighting efforts are seriously lacking. However, there's always room for improvement I'm sure. If what's going on now is truly a "gong show," and Horgan is saying as much privately, one can expect swift and dramatic changes come next week. We'll all be watching.

Well I've been watching no less than 11 aircraft attack this OK Centre fire, plus a couple of what looks like spotter aircraft, and frankly it's amazing to watch the pilot skills. I can't see how they'd manage with any more stuff flying around.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Old Techie wrote:Well I've been watching no less than 11 aircraft attack this OK Centre fire, plus a couple of what looks like spotter aircraft, and frankly it's amazing to watch the pilot skills. I can't see how they'd manage with any more stuff flying around.
I'm sure there comes a point when x number of aircraft make it dangerous for all concerned. As of now no one has been killed as a result of the fires this season and let's all hope it stays that way. Saving property is important but saving lives is even more important.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Nothing new ...

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/3695429 ... obile=true

... Coulson just trying to garner attention like they do every year. They seem to be struggling to get Canadian contracts for some reason, must be something they're not telling us.

they are the most advanced firefighting tankers in world . the us military hires them .these smaller plane companies are cheaper . it comes down to money thats it . period . you want best you pay for it .

wayne saved countless lives in alaska california australia and indonsia . hes the creme of the crop . we should be proud . not trying knock him down . thats shamefull
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

After watching, listening to, and reading the coverage of all these fires, I can only hope that when John Horgan takes over on Tuesday he will start kicking some serious a$$. I don't care what the talking points tell me, there was much more that could have been done much sooner, and when the smoke clears (pun intended) we're going to find out the ugly truth about the BC Wildfire Service's incompetence.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

From a FB article yesterday;

"For everyone who is sharing and commenting on the Media article about the Martin Mars Please stop!!!

I am just one of hundreds flying on these fires and fighting them for a living. The reason why the Mars is not on the fires is because we have equipment that does a faster more efficient job from smaller lakes which can put more water on a fire per hour. Water doesn’t put out a fire the crews do.

Large aircraft such as what you have read about take crews off the fire lines, sit helicopters on the ground for hours and stop precious production and critical gains. Their water comes out at a force which sends embers out and start spot fires it loosens ground, blows over trees creating hazards and ruins guards put in by crews.

For everyone out there please get these ideas out of your heads and realize there is a reason why we don’t use these planes. As for the night ops, this is a great idea in California or in the desert where at night you have long string drops and easy terrain but in BC it doesn’t work that way. There are night crews working and they don’t need any more dangers.

Lastly it is an insult to all of us who are working 18 hours days with no food and no place to sleep while we try to save people’s houses and animals and you sit at home telling us what is best. There is so much more to it then just putting water on a fire otherwise don’t you think we would do just that!!

Please educate yourselves before posting about this topic and or sharing with others as it is not needed. Look at the photo, no plane can fly in that smoke and heat and no water will put out a kilometer wide, 200 foot wall of fire."
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

lasnomadas wrote:After watching, listening to, and reading the coverage of all these fires, I can only hope that when John Horgan takes over on Tuesday he will start kicking some serious a$$. I don't care what the talking points tell me, there was much more that could have been done much sooner, and when the smoke clears (pun intended) we're going to find out the ugly truth about the BC Wildfire Service's incompetence.

You sure are in left field, even horgan can not put out the fires, just like clark did not start them. Coulson is in businessand his type does not work in bc, so lump it. :smt045
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:After watching, listening to, and reading the coverage of all these fires, I can only hope that when John Horgan takes over on Tuesday he will start kicking some serious a$$. I don't care what the talking points tell me, there was much more that could have been done much sooner, and when the smoke clears (pun intended) we're going to find out the ugly truth about the BC Wildfire Service's incompetence.

*removed*

I'm watching and seeing first hand, the effort going into fighting the OK Centre fire, and what it tells me is you are full of it, and should just shut up.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stop making this personal!
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

*removed* I've lived in B.C. long enough to remember every government since WAC Bennett and have lived through more wildfires than I care to count. Of one thing I'm certain, and that is B.C. wildfires have been getting progressively more devastating for these reasons:
1. Lack of funds to provide crews to clear underbrush and build fire guards before fire season.
2. Pine Beetle infestation caused by climate change, and governments' refusal to address it.
3. Lack of fire-fighting funds available when necessary.
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:*removed* I've lived in B.C. long enough to remember every government since WAC Bennett and have lived through more wildfires than I care to count. Of one thing I'm certain, and that is B.C. wildfires have been getting progressively more devastating for these reasons:
1. Lack of funds to provide crews to clear underbrush and build fire guards before fire season.
2. Pine Beetle infestation caused by climate change, and governments' refusal to address it.
3. Lack of fire-fighting funds available when necessary.

*removed*

*removed* I'm grateful for the things that we do have, and do not take every opportunity possible to trash government for things that mother nature does.

The fire I'm in the midst of has nothing to do with any of your assertions, given the majority of the land is privately owned, hence clearing underbrush is not applicable, since it's not a provincial government responsibility.

As for the fighting efforts they are progressing very well given the wind circumstances, so as far as I'm concerned, you and your rants, are disrespectful to those putting their lives on the line to protect us and our possessions.

As for the pine beetle infestation, that went out of control during your precious NDP's watch, so perhaps you should start a thread trashing them, for not addressing the issue when it began in a park back in the 90's, and when urged to do something about it, they opted not to. Direct some of your vitriol toward the correct target for a change!
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2017, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm sure that this is the BCLibs doing as well ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/debate-o ... 35190.html

:laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”