Dude, where's our premier?

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Dude, where's our premier?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Queen K wrote:And where is Premier Horgan today? Doing his damn job and not getting in the way and draining resources. :up:

He's head of the NDP, whose very mission as a political party is to drain resources.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The Green Barbarian wrote:He's head of the NDP, whose very mission as a political party is to drain resources.

For all of our sakes GB, I hope Horgan proves you wrong.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Merry wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:He's head of the NDP, whose very mission as a political party is to drain resources.

For all of our sakes GB, I hope Horgan proves you wrong.

Unfortunately history suggests otherwise.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Merry wrote:I have always been of the opinion that politicians should stay away from disaster areas until after things calm down a bit. But I do acknowledge that in recent years public opinion has not always shared my view .

I think that is partly because the MSM has frequently pilloried politicians who don't visit and have their photos taken with "victims", despite the fact the MSM's opinion is likely influenced by it's need of such images for their own purposes.

Right now Premier Horgan's hands are probably "full" with all the work he has to do to get his new Government "up and running", including dealing with the issues surrounding the fires and fire victims. He does not have time to go running around satisfying the MSM's need for "photo ops". Those who are unhappy to see him in power are going to be unhappy no matter WHAT he does, so he may as well "do the right thing" which is do his job.

I have family members who are currently evacuees based in Prince George, and I don't think they give a flying fig whether Horgan visits them or not. They're too busy worrying about their homes and what's going to happen to them. After things calm down a bit will be the time for the Premier to make a personal visit; not right now.
The NDP elected hardly any members in the areas where there are fires and there may be some truth to the idea that people in those areas don't want to see Horgan. However, premiers or prime ministers visit natural disaster scenes to get a first hand look, to thank volunteers, to comfort victims, to lend moral support, and in general to let everyone know that "we're all in this together." Remember as well that the OP kicked off this thread with an editorial from the Prince George Citizen which criticized Horgan for his absence. Leaders have been roundly criticized in the past as well for not arriving on the scene soon enough and I can understand why.

No one is suggesting that Horgan should be actually picking up a hose and fighting the fire and no one is suggesting that he should get in the way. Rachel Notley made it clear when she visited the Ft. McMurray fire that she would make sure she would not get in the way and from all accounts she succeeded. This issue is minor in comparison to the issue of the secretariat that Horgan has set up and we've yet to here much if anything from NDP'ers on that. If Horgan is sitting in Victoria having second thoughts about that decision rather than going to the fires then at least something positive would come from him remaining there.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Merry wrote:
I have family members who are currently evacuees based in Prince George, and I don't think they give a flying fig whether Horgan visits them or not. They're too busy worrying about their homes and what's going to happen to them. After things calm down a bit will be the time for the Premier to make a personal visit; not right now.

Exactly. The only faces I would want to see are firefighters and support services. I'm more inclined to punch a politician for, well, being a politician than shake his/her hand for being status quo photo op.

When the people have had it
So good, they rail against those serving them.

My new tag line. ^^
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Duplicate post**
Last edited by What_the on Jul 24th, 2017, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:If Horgan is sitting in Victoria having second thoughts about that decision rather than going to the fires then at least something positive would come from him remaining there.

That would imply he has a conscience, something I wouldn't bet much money on. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Urbane, gotta call you. For five pages now you've said the same thing. I hear you, thoughts/arguments, and personally, I've acknowledged that. You're beating a dead horse here. I don't agree with your vehementsy, I've said why. (maybe I'm foe'd?). You're not convincing anyone going on. And this thread is just repeating it self.

I'm not trying to censor you, hell by all means carry on. :) like I do.

I'll, for the sake, name myself first. flaming fingers, jlives.. dammit, we all know who I'm referring.... regulars. (No slight, both, only names I could RAM at the moment)
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I would be absolutely peed off if a fire was threatening my home.
Unless My Premier, Whom Ever They Are learned how to do a Rain Dance!
Then performed one right beside my house :-X

With all the fires in the province how can anyone honestly expect the premier to show up the moment their region is endangered.
That's where your city council, MP's and MLA's come in. It's their jobs to inspect the situation ( if possible ) assess it, report it to those who can do something about it.
Unless Horgan really can do a rain dance he really is doing the right thing and would be useless in person there.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I am actually very surprised that Ms. Clark hasn't made the trip yet. Good opportunity for her to get her picture taken in a high viz and hard hat to show how much me caring she is, you know? For that election coming this fall.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mr.bandaid wrote:I am actually very surprised that Ms. Clark hasn't made the trip yet. Good opportunity for her to get her picture taken in a high viz and hard hat to show how much me caring she is, you know? For that election coming this fall.

She has.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

What_the wrote:Urbane, gotta call you. For five pages now you've said the same thing. I hear you, thoughts/arguments, and personally, I've acknowledged that. You're beating a dead horse here. I don't agree with your vehementsy, I've said why. (maybe I'm foe'd?). You're not convincing anyone going on. And this thread is just repeating it self.

I'm not trying to censor you, hell by all means carry on. :) like I do.

I'll, for the sake, name myself first. flaming fingers, jlives.. dammit, we all know who I'm referring.... regulars. (No slight, both, only names I could RAM at the moment)
Yes, opinions are set. How about this though: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=73578&p=2216184#p2216184
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:And where is Premier Horgan today?

Packing his bags for a tour of US talk shows, under the guise of a "trade mission" to Washington. He's meeting with Trudeau first for some pointers on how to woo the Americans.

https://energeticcity.ca/2017/07/horgan ... of-issues/

Hope he brings lots of socks. Americans get giddy over socks, says Trudeau. The budget will balance itself if you have cool socks.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Why are you seemingly obsessed with politicians' socks?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

FreeRights wrote:Why are you seemingly obsessed with politicians' socks?

I think that they call it a Fetish, and I truely believe that we all have our own version.
Justin was wearing nice socks in the photo, and displaying his Canadian Pride at the same time.

Return to “B.C.”