ICBC rates could go up 30%

jimmy4321
Guru

Re: ICBC rates could go up 30%

Post by jimmy4321 »

Sorry i guess my general feeling of things is the government should provide education and health care, social services, labour rights , transportation etc. (Sure i missed a few)
I think things would be fine if they stayed out of booze and insurance and and postal if they could ( but thats the feds)- just collected taxes
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

flamingfingers wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:If it happened before it will happen again.
I buy my liquor where the price is right, even from overpaid government workers if need be.

The more a worker gets paid, the more taxes they pay and the more money they spend to support small business, spending discretionary income to keep the economy chugging along.

Or do you want to spend your tax dollars on more welfare, see longer lines at the food banks and etc with people unable to pay MSP, car insurance, Hydro (which means the costs to YOU increase to make up for it)???

Most economic theory won't quite agree with what you are saying. The multiplier is usually well less than 1, which means in this case that the more you pay your government paid worker, the less the increase in benefit to the economy. Therefore, if they were paid a competitive wage (basically what they would get with a private employer), the cost to the economy would be minimised and we could get greater utility in general by using the money for other more economically efficient purposes. That said, there are lots of factors at play here, and with primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. effects. As far as I am aware, the general economic consensus is that so long as we are not paying for inefficient systems (income assistance, food banks, etc.) for a public employee, there is no benefit to paying above a competitive wage.

By the way, I am not arguing that we should put downward pressure on pay, but just that historically economists tend to take the view that the market knows best what people want and are willing to pay and that artificially driving up wages or costs just creates a less efficient system.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

jimmy4321 wrote:Sorry i guess my general feeling of things is the government should provide education and health care, social services, labour rights , transportation etc. (Sure i missed a few)
I think things would be fine if they stayed out of booze and insurance and and postal if they could ( but thats the feds)- just collected taxes

Personally, I think that the government should allow competition in all market places, and also compete in many. ICBC should compete with other insurance companies, BC Liquor Stores should compete too. Any service or product where standards are important to maintain, and monopolies are a possibility, should have a government run business competing with the intention of keeping the margins reasonable and preventing the consumer from being gouged.
I've lived elsewhere and the biggest problem I find with Canada is that we have very poor competition. Basically, we accept monopolies or semi-monopolies all over the place, and are rather price-inelastic about lots of stuff. We live in a capitalist society which seems to favour the producers over the consumers and this is the wrong way around.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I buy my liquor where the price is right, even from overpaid government workers if need be.

I worked at a government liquor store. It takes years to get full time work, no benefits and no loyalty.,probably the worst government job.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

.they can getntips, government employee can't.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

mr.bandaid wrote:It takes years to get full time work, no benefits and no loyalty.,probably the worst government job.

Oh crikey, you could start another thread on that.... how about animal control, no one loves you, or by-law no one including the city loves you.... Life guard? one gets the full time job the rest ok wages for the responsibility and training they have but 20-30 hours a week..+14% in lieu.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

seewood wrote:
mr.bandaid wrote:It takes years to get full time work, no benefits and no loyalty.,probably the worst government job.

Oh crikey, you could start another thread on that.... how about animal control, no one loves you, or by-law no one including the city loves you.... Life guard? one gets the full time job the rest ok wages for the responsibility and training they have but 20-30 hours a week..+14% in lieu.

I deleted that post but I hear you. Everyone thinks that a government job is a fast track to a gravy train. If only the had any idea.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Why work there then, should've applied to a private shop?I've had a family member work at the liquor store a few years ago, I know getting hours is a pain.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

jimmy4321 wrote:Why work there then, should've applied to a private shop?I've had a family member work at the liquor store a few years ago, I know getting hours is a pain.

As a favor to a friend. I was never interested in a full time job there and I would never recommend it to any young person who is looking for a good job. The BCLCB sucks.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Funny, one group of workers work at or near the minimum wage the other group get a living wage, and it's not fair wage and under paid it's fair wage and over paid ?

So everyone except you should get minimum wage ?

The prices at both are about the same, usually the government stores are less. So the lower wages at the private stores don't equal lower prices.

So where's the money going ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't cry to me.
My tax dollars should not go to a "make work" project at a government liquor store, which basically adds up to another social program.
Go work at the Dollar Store , Wal-Mart etc. I have far far more respect for them .
If these people are so desperate that they will go for years without proper hours just to work at a government liquor store, get retrained in ANYTHING - I'd GLADLY pay for that.

Go on! tell me that doesn't reek of something
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

jimmy4321 wrote:Don't cry to me.
My tax dollars should not go to a "make work" project at a government liquor store, which basically adds up to another social program.
Go work at the Dollar Store , Wal-Mart etc. I have far far more respect for them .
If these people are so desperate that they will to go years without proper hours just to work at a government liquor store, get retrained in ANYTHING - I'd GLADLY pay for that.

Don't tell me there's nothing to see in the house of nepotism lol

correct me if iam wrong but I could swear this thread was about ICBC and their Crappy rates etc??
not your cousins part time job at a BC LS
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

True, it kind of morphed into why the province is in these businesses in the first place
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
Unless you transfer the policy and plates to the other vehicle, if you cancel the policy you MUST turn over the plates, or swear a declaration that the plates are lost and if you do that they can never be used again.

According to ICBC, perhaps - but brokers really could care less. You wanna cancel the policy and keep the plates? No problem, keep 'em.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:According to ICBC, perhaps - but brokers really could care less. You wanna cancel the policy and keep the plates? No problem, keep 'em.

Where do you get these ideas ?

The forms indicates what happened to the plates, either it is indicated that they have been turned in or the insured MUST complete a declaration that they were lost.

Once they have been turned in or declared lost, they are branded. They can't be used again. So even if an agent did so (let you keep 'em), which they would never do, they need their contract with ICBC and are audited and monitored carefully, the plates wouldn't do anyone any good.

Allowing a customer to keep a number plate that is showing a decal that has not yet expired would be a serious problem.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”