ICBC rates could go up 30%

dle
Lord of the Board

ICBC rates could go up 30%

Post by dle »

say what??

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202574

:spitcoffee: Can they honestly sit there and toss this out with a straight face while still paying their top brass what they do? They must think we are morons and don't know where the money in this corporation goes.....
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: ICBC rates could go up 30%

Post by bob vernon »

Blame the NDP/Green unholy alliance. All bad news is their fault. Any good news is just a holdover from Christy.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

dle wrote:say what??

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202574

:spitcoffee: Can they honestly sit there and toss this out with a straight face while still paying their top brass what they do? They must think we are morons and don't know where the money in this corporation goes.....

There's a strong possibility that this has been discussed.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
AdaTol

Post by AdaTol »

Without prejudice.
Go figure; as right now we don’t have a police force to uphold the driving law.
Daily I see vehicles running lights, almost running over pedestrians, no turn signals – this includes police cars and ambulances. Speeding drivers not adhering to the speed limit, drivers not stopping at yellow lights and driving through the intersection. We should also do away with STOP Signs as most drivers drive through without stopping.
No front vehicle plate displayed on several vehicles. This is British Columbia not Alberta. Either make it the law or get rid of the front licence plate. Then there is the transparent plastic license plate cover-shield which obscures the plate number so you won’t get a speeding ticket fine.
When passing someone on the highway the vehicle that just past you is now 6-feet ahead of you. The vehicle has cut in way to quickly and closely.
And we are wondering why ICBC is increasing rates? The drivers just don’t care how they drive. This recklessness causes so many accidents.
Also is the RCMP Police doing their job? Do we need to hire more Police Officers for traffic controls and regulations? From my point of view; the drivers of British Columbia need to start paying attention it’s too easy to get away with driving without the law.
Do we completely rewrite this Vehicle Act: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC ... e%20Act%20[RSBC%201996]%20c.%20318/00_Act/96318_00.htm

My question is this: Is it the drivers or lack of RCMP that's causing rates to go higher?
This article has only touched a small bit of driving infractions and hopefully you get the message.
kdotnet

Post by kdotnet »

They need to get rid of the ICBC monopoly and allow free enterprise to provide cheaper options. It's completely fine to require $200,000 pl and pd but the government does not need to be in the insurance business especially as the only option. As a former albertan ICBC was the hardest pill to swallow moving here. You can get the Addons and extra coverage through other vendors like Canadian direct but there needs to be more options for the basic. ICBC can can stay and slowly disappear or just turn into the collection agency for traffic fines and photo radar, red light cameras etc. if they put up red light cameras on every light in Kelowna imagine the money it could generate and the reduction in accidents from the entitled idiot drivers who think they have the right to put lives at risk.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Make idiots with points pay more . There is absolutely no reason for rates to go up . They are already really high for what you get . 30 percent I'd be up to nearly 300 a month to insure a truck ? That's with a pretty clean record and no accidents or claims . Nonsense. This is crooked corporation . I'd look for missing billions if I was an auditor .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Leave both Roadstar & Gold Roadstar alone, raise everyone else 30% or more..... plus increase fines on having points.
So basically nail the bad/idiot drivers of BC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

So I have a car that I store over the winter. While in storage no plates have to give them back. When spring comes around I go in to insure. I have a credit on the account so does ICBC deduct it off of the new insurance? No. They mail you a check. Have to get new plates. So how much waste is in that transaction?
My wife gets backed into on the Highway by a semi. She has a witness with here in the vehicle, which ICBC won't interview. She reports the accident within one hour of it happening. The other driver has to be tracked down by ICBC, takes a week. He says she hit him. ICBC says because the damage is on the front of my wife's car it is 100% her fault. Don't like it, sue us.
Incompetent company, a tax grab for the government and the sooner it is gone the better it will be for the BC consumer.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/2 ... -province/
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What business needs a 30 percent increase in revenue on the exact same service provided . That's crazy
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

GordonH wrote:Leave both Roadstar & Gold Roadstar alone, raise everyone else 30% or more..... plus increase fines on having points.
So basically nail the bad/idiot drivers of BC.

I agree with you Gordon,
however I also feel that we should somehow make insurance affordable for New Drivers and give them a chance to prove themselves as good or bad.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jflem1983 wrote:What business needs a 30 percent increase in revenue on the exact same service provided . That's crazy

Ones that are allowed to be continuously mismanaged but still pay their head honchos salaries, perks & pensions that are beyond belief - have to pay for it somehow.

If anything comes of this the rates should only be raised for the bad drivers - not the good ones.

I hope there is a real push for private insurance - not just for bits and pieces of the policy - but the whole thing. I am sick and tired of being held hostage by ICBC and the government sitting back rubber-stamping every increase without investigation. NO way should we have to use ICBC if we choose not to.

I hope this new government we have is paying attention - our previous one certainly didn't.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

rookie314 wrote:My wife gets backed into on the Highway by a semi. She has a witness with here in the vehicle, which ICBC won't interview. She reports the accident within one hour of it happening. The other driver has to be tracked down by ICBC, takes a week. He says she hit him. ICBC says because the damage is on the front of my wife's car it is 100% her fault.

Think of it this way.
Would you believe anyone you didn't know who told you that a semi backed into you on the hwy?
I wouldn't. That's why I have a dash cam, and highly recommend that everyone gets one.

Even if I did believe your wife, I would be wondering if he was stopped on a hill for construction or something. Then she pulled right up behind his truck.
I personally see this happen all the time, and as a professional driver can tell you that even a truck with an automatic transmission can roll backwards while starting up on a hill too.
So can a bus, and even most small cars on steeper hills.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

rookie314 wrote:So I have a car that I store over the winter. While in storage no plates have to give them back. When spring comes around I go in to insure. I have a credit on the account so does ICBC deduct it off of the new insurance? No. They mail you a check. Have to get new plates. So how much waste is in that transaction?
My wife gets backed into on the Highway by a semi. She has a witness with here in the vehicle, which ICBC won't interview. She reports the accident within one hour of it happening. The other driver has to be tracked down by ICBC, takes a week. He says she hit him. ICBC says because the damage is on the front of my wife's car it is 100% her fault. Don't like it, sue us.
Incompetent company, a tax grab for the government and the sooner it is gone the better it will be for the BC consumer.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/2 ... -province/

two words dash cam
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

ALL insurance companies WANT to raise their rates. They will cry poverty by showing the amount of payouts they have made, but rest assured profitability is #1 and they rarely go out of business. They all tend to be $cum-suckers in so many ways. Many (maybe all) insurance companies are "reinsured" through other insurance companies in case of catastrophic claims.

With ICBC and the B.C. Liberals well over a BILLION $$$ has been syphoned off for general revenue or to "so-called" balancing the books over the last 7 - 10 years. This money was collected from each and every driver in this province AND if LEFT where it belonged we would not be reading these rate increase headlines. The premise to "public auto insurance" was to combat HIGH private insurance rates by having a monopoly. Somewhere down this road our elected politicians seen a "cash cow" and the rest is history. No matter how the Liberals, NDP or whoever spin this, they will only tell you the ONLY way out is to raise rates...........B.S.!!! Seven (7) layers of bureaucracy within ICBC is absolutely astounding..........every high-paid manager protecting the other........at all costs. Fraudulent injurie claims alone is pushing $200 MILLION a year and the government has a good idea (KNOWS) the segment of the B.C. that are ripping the rest of us off..........it appears that putting this information (who they are) out there for all of us to see would be "politically incorrect".

We all pay these high rates to be "protected" in case of an accident...........vehicle repair or replacement and most importantly..........if injured to make the person "whole" again or to the best of their ability return to a normal, productive life. The one thing I have witnessed is that ICBC treats legitimate injuries as if they are ALL fraudulent, especially if the injury has not healed according to their "secret book of injury healing time" and you have not accepted their initial settlement offer.

Bottom line..............ICBC CAN be run more efficiently but the so-called experts that are doing the review of ICBC always come to the simplest conclusion..........RAISE RATES and leave everything else to status quo.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

It is just a big money wheel.
Hand out licences like Halloween candy, no one fails.
Oh my, they crashed...well duh, they were inept and incompetent.
Plenty of people just do not have the aptitude.

The more they licence, the more they make, the more they crash, the more they make.
Also all the spin-off businesses are kept working.

The young don't get behind a wheel in most cases anymore until it's time to get licenced.
Zero practical experience.

My generation and the ones before were generally fairly adept at driving from a very young age.
many years before it was even time to start actively persuing ones licence.

Now, not so much.

A rate increase would sit a little better with me if they would at least pump a goodly chunk of
revenues to our ageing, out-dated, and crumbling roadway infrastructure.

Any good Company, and our Country (Province, City) is a Company, invests monies back into itself
in order to sustain it's future.

In this we have failed so miserably it is a down-right embarrassment !

After-thought.
Just look through some of the Trials and tribulations threads, it seems a good many
do not even know what and how to approach many of the most basic, and common
driving scenarios encountered daily, it makes no sense.
But it does make a pile of people wealthy.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “B.C.”