Fortis wants solar

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Fortis wants solar

Post by Smurf »

Solar is nothing new, it has been around for decades. I worked with it in the 70's at isolated sites in the north. I am talking about large scale, grids etc.. I have visited huge solar sites in Arizona. There are covered parking lots in Yuma AZ that are covered with solar to provide power for the business. But those are a whole different story than connecting them all together in a grid and adding hundreds, thousands more. I believe I read in that article about setting up small direct energy systems in metropolitan areas. That is a whole lot different than a home or a business having a tiny system. Now you are talking grid, synchronization and all sorts of things. This is where the problems start and expenses become unreal. Thus the need for subsidies etc because they are not worthwhile otherwise. I'm not saying it can''t and won't happen, just that it is a long way off and a lot of careful planning if we want it to work. Provinces, North America are going to have to get along and plan a lot better than Alberta and BC with the Kinder Morgan pipeline. I am all for progress, I worked with new ideas all the time in the electrical construction industry. Every job had new technology. But I also learned it is too complicated not to be taken slowly and carefully.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”