Lost Lagoon Vancouver

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Lost Lagoon Vancouver

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If they did restore it, does the level rise and fall with the tide?
When tide is out m would it be near empty ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lost Lagoon Vancouver

Post by hobbyguy »

Lost Lagoon is artificial. If it was "restored" it would return to being a tidal mud flat.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

hobbyguy wrote:Lost Lagoon is artificial. If it was "restored" it would return to being a tidal mud flat.

no it wouldnt . before the wall was built it was saltwater marsh
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

No it wasn't mj. Lost lagoon is manmade.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The lake was created in 1916 by the construction of the Stanley Park causeway; until then, Lost Lagoon was a shallow part of Coal Harbour, which itself is an extension of Burrard Inlet.

yea manmade because the causeway being built . before that it was shallow saltwater marsh part of the harbour . and when tide went out there was some mud but at hightide it looked like a pond . people even built houses arou d it before the causeway was put in and before that first nations lived there
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Sorry I did not mention, story was in today's Province. Good aerial shot on the front page.
It clearly was connected to the harbour, then got bisected by the causeway, and became freshwater.

So looking at the pic, I started to wonder how much the tide would affect it.
They are considering restoring it. It may since being cutoff from the harbour, be bigger than before.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The name for Lost Lagoon comes from a poem[3] written by Pauline Johnson, who later explained her inspiration:

"I have always resented that jarring unattractive name [Coal Harbour] for years. When I first plied paddle across the gunwale of a light canoe and idled about the margin, I named the sheltered little cove Lost Lagoon. This was just to please my own fancy for, as that perfect summer month drifted on, the ever restless tides left the harbor devoid of any water at my favorite conoeing hour and my pet idling place was lost for many days; hence my fancy to call it Lost Lagoon.

"Native food gatherers used the low tide mudflats as a source for clams, and a midden on the north side indicates that a large dwelling once stood there. In the Squamish language, the name is Ch'ekxwa'7lech, meaning "gets dry at times"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Lagoon

Yup, a mudflats.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

as per the poster , misleadingly posts part the quote . the rest of hibbys post goes on to say what i posted. it was saltwater marsh that looked like a pond at most of the day . hobby doesnt know how tides work it seems . i lived there hobby. i know more about vancouver than you. end of story .
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Where in Vancouver did you live mj?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

richmond and one block from ubc on west 16th in heritage house . every evening a lady played classical music on a piano . my brother lived in kits and my other brother lived in richmond the whole time . my dad worked on building bcplace canada place gm place expansion of richmond centre mall landsdown park mall the vancouver stock exange building when they re did offices near the top my mom worked emerg at van general royal columbian and st pauls . she said the best doctors in vancouver worked at st pauls and me ? lol i worked there in steveston at a paint shop in richmond at a assay lab and in vancouver i worked for civil engineer who had contracts from city of westt van a way down to city of whiterock . i help layout one the student buildings at ubc :130:

Return to “B.C.”