Buddha of the Board

Clarks pension

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Clarks pension

Post by GordonH »

All politicians get a very nice pension

Anyone who wants it just throw your name prior to next election, win 2 terms or more.... there you go.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don't mind giving them a pension, but $100,000?????????? Really??????? Frankly, I think that's excessive. Half of that would be a pretty generous pension IMO.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Pensions for politicians are set by those we vote for.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Yes, pensions for politicians are set by those same politicians. For every $1.00 the politician puts into the pot for their pensions, the taxpayer puts in $4.00!!
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Yes and for the NDP politicians too.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

This thread is so typical of what we've seen over the past six years. Clark gets a pension but so does every other MLA who qualifies. The NDP are on board with the MLA pension plan but somehow it's all about Christy Clark. As I say, typical!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Former NDP MLA Jenny Kwan collected $75,820 in her first year after leaving the BC Legislature and is now earning her MP salary in Ottawa. If she were to live until 80 she would collect about $1,300,000 from her MLA pension. So no. It isn't just Christy Clark.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Look, if she was a union member, like a teacher or a civil servant or something, the pension would be all wrong. But she's a right winger, so it's all okay. She also gets to take her medical care plan with her. Her meds, dental, and eyeglasses are covered. Do you deserve that? Of course not.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

bob vernon wrote:Look, if she was a union member, like a teacher or a civil servant or something, the pension would be all wrong. But she's a right winger, so it's all okay. She also gets to take her medical care plan with her. Her meds, dental, and eyeglasses are covered. Do you deserve that? Of course not.
Do you understand that all MLA's benefit from the same pension plan regardless of party? If you can show me where NDP MLA's are turning down their pension when they retire I'll think differently but until you do . . .
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Merry wrote:I don't mind giving them a pension, but $100,000?????????? Really??????? Frankly, I think that's excessive. Half of that would be a pretty generous pension IMO.
You make a good point but when I see some of the incredibly nasty comments directed at Christy Clark, this evening and over the past six years, it makes me a bit more sympathetic toward MLA pensions. She's been accused again tonight of having engaged in criminal activity in the form of kickbacks and she's been called a witch. We're to celebrate the death of that witch. So maybe I don't mind so much that she's collecting a nice pension.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/accountability/mla-remuneration-and-expenses

and http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96257_01

Interesting that the act that gives the MLAs their fat pensions dates back to 1996. Hmmm... which party was in party was in power in 1996?

No wonder Horgan had that big goofy grin on his face when he sucked Andrew into giving him a participation award.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

hobbyguy wrote:https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/accountability/mla-remuneration-and-expenses

and http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96257_01

Interesting that the act that gives the MLAs their fat pensions dates back to 1996. Hmmm... which party was in party was in power in 1996?

No wonder Horgan had that big goofy grin on his face when he sucked Andrew into giving him a participation award.

Hmm i wonder which political party changed the rules to the pension plan? The love for the liberal party is almost cult like its scary.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Yup, the Liberals increased it - with a little show fuss from the NDP - except for Harry Lali who wanted to vote for it, and a couple of others, including Claire Trevena who was conveniently absent. The NDP "outrage" was not about the pension increase, it centered around "we shouldn't be taking a raise without raising the minimum wage". Not a mention of the pension enhancement.

Funny thing though, in 118 pages of attack platform about the Liberals and especially Christy Clark (who was not an MLA at that time) - not a peep from the NDP about rolling back the pay or pension increase... nor a peep from the Green party.

I don't care for the double platinum plated pensions either - but they all get it - and no party now seems to have any outrage about it whatsoever.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Regardless WHICH Party a politician represents, the massive pensions they've given themselves are just plain WRONG.

I'm not opposed to them getting a pension (in fact I think they should get one), and I'm not opposed to it being indexed, but I do think there is a problem with the size of their pensions.

Political pensions are so far out of whack with what most people get, politicians ought to be ashamed of themselves.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”