Next BC Liberal leader

Who would make the best BC Liberal leader?

Mike Bernier
No votes
Mike de Jong
9%
Kevin Falcon
3%
Jas Johal
3%
Mary Polak
No votes
Todd Stone
14%
Sam Sullivan
3%
Dianne Watts
37%
Andrew Wilkinson
No votes
OTHER
31%

Total votes : 35

Re: Next BC Liberal leader

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 7th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Actually, rustled, I read quite a lot of opposing comments, but I've learned from experience what to read and what to ignore.
An old BCLP hack like Good doesn't deserve my attention.

I'm not going to get into a guessing game about who's going to be crazy enough to run for the next BC Liberal leadership, but I'll tell you who I think it won't be.......Dianne Watts or Carole Taylor. Those two ladies are much too smart to fall into that trap.
(I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong.)
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Liked in: 94 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Who would take up this loser cause:

This is the end for B.C. Liberals faint hope of power as Plecas pulls the plug

By Bill Tieleman, News, Views, and Attitude – 24 hours
Monday, September 11, 2017 7:21:02 PDT AM

"This is the end/My only friend, the end/Of our elaborate plans, the end.” - The Doors, The End

The dramatic decision of Abbotsford South MLA Darryl Plecas to become speaker of the B.C. Legislature against B.C. Liberal Party orders is far more than a story of either betrayal or rebellion.

Plecas’ move signals the end of the B.C. Liberals’ faint hope clause – their elaborate plans to somehow defeat the New Democrats in the Legislature and then again in a snap election to return triumphantly to government.

Instead, Plecas going to speaker likely means Premier John Horgan will hold that title for a full four years.

And the B.C. Liberals’ extreme anger is far more about losing power indefinitely after 16 years of arrogantly ruling the province than it is about Plecas’ rejecting their threats.

It’s an end to their entitlement but it’s also an end to many veteran B.C. Liberal cabinet ministers’ political careers – because several are likely to resign rather than face four long years in opposition just to have another chance at winning back government.

Think about it: you were once an all-powerful cabinet minister, with staff fulfilling your orders, an entire ministry responding to you, and extra $37,000 to $53,000 a year in salary and a significant increase in your pension, the term “honourable” the title before your name, the ability to influence public policy, the prestige, the car – it’s a heady and seductive job.

And then, you face the oblivion of opposition with no time limit in sight to get back to the cabinet land of milk and honey.

If you are Mike de Jong – Abbotsford West B.C. Liberal MLA with 23 years in elected office and having been minister of finance, health, attorney general and more during those 16 years in power, why stick around? Others will have similar thoughts.

Even interim B.C. Liberal leader Rich Coleman, elected in 1996 and a former deputy premier, has to be thinking of an exit strategy.

In the end, more veteran B.C. Liberals MLAs will likely abandon ship and more by-elections will further increase the B.C. NDP’s safety margin and ensure at least a four-year term in office.

After all, it’s easier to pummel Plecas than face the music when “The End” is the only song playing.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2017/09/11/th ... s-the-plug
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5427 posts

Postby Rider59 » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:26 pm

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 11th, 2017, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Rider59
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Last edited by flamingfingers on Sep 11th, 2017, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5427 posts

Postby Rider59 » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Response to off topic comment
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 11th, 2017, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Rider59
Fledgling

Liked in: 224 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 11th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Tieleman has an interesting take, as always, but I don't agree the Liberals want a snap election. They're probably happier to have the extra breathing room. Plecas, while avoiding the dreadful ignominy (as Tieleman describes it) of being reduced to opposition, also effectively reduced the number of landmines his former party will have had to navigate around for the next few months, a time during which the NDP must work hard to show us they're actually capable of governing while keeping Weaver on their side.

As a strategy, I'd think the Liberals are fully aware the NDP have their own little fractious factions to manage, as James knows, and as Horgan found out when he tried to voice his support for Site C. Four years will be a long, long time for them to keep it up.

This allows plenty of time for the Liberals to get their own ducks in a row. Of course, if they fail to do that, or if they come up with a leader as lukewarm to the position as Horgan was, it will be really interesting to see how the chips fall next election.

ETA: Scratch that, it's BC politics. It will be interesting no matter what.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3950 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 11th, 2017, 11:22 pm

So this is how it ends for the BC Liberals.......not with a bang, but with a whimper. I watched most of Question Period today, and if their pathetic attempts at attacking the NDP, and the grins on the faces on Horgan and his caucus are an indication of what's to come, I believe Bill Tieleman has hit the nail on the head. The BC Liberal party is on the ropes, and it's only a matter of time before Rich Coleman, Mike deJong and other 'old-timers' pack it in, and they are left with the inept Todd Stone et al.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted, wasn't it Rich? You and the others were able to line your pockets and squirrel away hundreds of thousands in off-shore accounts. Your taxpayer-funded retirement package should almost rival that of Christy Clark and Gordon Campbell.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Postby Old Techie » Sep 12th, 2017, 12:30 am

Cactusflower wrote: Your taxpayer-funded retirement package should almost rival that of Christy Clark and Gordon Campbell.

That would be the same tax payer funded packages your precious NDP grabbed onto as well, even though given an opportunity to lead by example.

I'd rather deal with Liberals where at least we know what we're working with, as opposed to forked tongue self entitled rats, gathered from the public service sector, and most of whom haven't a clue what a real job is, or how to run a business.

On the bright side it's taking them less time to go down that 1990's rabbit hole than expected, which will serve well to remind the electorate of why they were trashed 77-2 last go round.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

2 people like this post.
Old Techie
Übergod

Liked in: 1857 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:22 am

potentially libelous
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 14th, 2017, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: potentially libelous
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Postby ferri » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:23 am

:-X Don't start making this personal.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 7386 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:31 am

Cactusflower wrote:...

Oh well, it was good while it lasted, wasn't it Rich? You and the others were able to line your pockets and squirrel away hundreds of thousands in off-shore accounts. Your taxpayer-funded retirement package should almost rival that of Christy Clark and Gordon Campbell.

Can you substantiate this allegation? At all?

I've always wondered why people can't stick to the facts. Surely there's enough known malfeasance to complain about without this sort of speculation. Small wonder both our major political parties have had so few people interested in their recent leadership races, knowing this is what awaits them.

Jx3 likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:34 am

the investigations are not complete yet. :smt045
maryjane48
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2320 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:41 am

I don't have to substantiate those allegations because they've been well-documented in various news outlets over time. If you don't read, listen to, or watch the news, and don't bother to read other online publications, you might be a BC Liberal supporter.

And MJ's right, there are still ongoing investigations, so tune in to follow those as well.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Postby rustled » Sep 12th, 2017, 11:42 am

Cactusflower wrote:I don't have to substantiate those allegations because they've been well-documented in various news outlets over time. If you don't read, listen to, or watch the news, and don't bother to read other online publications, you might be a BC Liberal supporter.

And MJ's right, there are still ongoing investigations, so tune in to follow those as well.

I'd be happy to read them. Are you able to provide a link? So far my google searches have turned up a lot of unrelated stuff. Thanks in advance.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby LordEd » Sep 12th, 2017, 3:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I don't have to substantiate those allegations because they've been well-documented in various news outlets over time. If you don't read, listen to, or watch the news, and don't bother to read other online publications, you might be a BC Liberal supporter.

You don't need to substantiate those accusations as they will be ignored along with the other unsubstantiated accusations. They will also be openly mocked along with the other proven-incorrect accusations

If you are proud of not proving your accusations, you might be a greeNDP supporter.

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1531 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.