Next BC Liberal leader

Who would make the best BC Liberal leader?

Mike Bernier
No votes
Mike de Jong
13%
Kevin Falcon
3%
Jas Johal
3%
Mary Polak
No votes
Todd Stone
13%
Sam Sullivan
3%
Dianne Watts
36%
Andrew Wilkinson
3%
OTHER
28%

Total votes : 39

Re: Next BC Liberal leader

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:24 pm

flamingfingers wrote:I'm not sure why we are discussing Rich Coleman... he certainly will not be the next BC Liberal leader. They need months to sort themselves out and decide who in the heck they are! Are they Liberal (snort), are they Conservative (snort) are they still the leftovers from the Socred failures? At this point in time they are simply a collection of mongrels.

It's time for the BC Liberals to break themselves apart and see what comes together afterwards.

Other than the unnecessary snark, I tend to agree. It will take time to redefine the party and their purpose. (It's no longer enough to simply unite to keep "them" out.)

I think, though, we've seen the same thing with the NDP, with their own fractious factions pushing and pulling and their own difficulty in attracting enough candidates for a leadership race. The Greens have their problems, too, with a leader who has to accommodate those in his party who refuse to be reasoned.

It's not unusual to see right-leaning folk gather together to pursue shared goals, or for left-leaning folk to gather together to pursue theirs. Beyond that, it's still a matter of competing and conflicting interests and ideologies.

It will indeed be interesting to watch this unfold, but I'm not sure there will be any more interest in the leadership of the BC Liberals than there was when Horgan agreed to lead the NDP. I don't see them breaking apart either, but I'd never say "never".

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4038 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:29 pm

^^Plecas may have provided the first trickle in the leak of the dam.
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5447 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:32 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
These are very serious allegations you've made. You said they had been well-documented in various news outlets over time, and you confirmed mj's allegation that there were ongoing investigations into these allegations.

Are you now saying the only documentation about these very serious allegations that is still available would be in theBreaker?

As I said before, it seems to me there's enough actual wrongdoing from politicians of all stripes, there's no reason to go out on a limb as you seem to have done here.

Regardless of who expresses an interest in the leadership, I expect there will be people ready with fistfuls of mud to sling. Such are the times we live in.

I said no such thing. You are trying to put words in my mouth. There are ALLEGATIONS he acted improperly in some housing issues that were within his portfolio but I NEVER said and NEVER agreed that there was an 'investigation' into these allegations. Pull your horns in, OK?

I am terribly sorry, flamingfingers. I should have paid more attention to who had written the quote I was responding to. I've gone back and edited the post, and again, I sincerely apologize for suggesting you were making the allegations they have made.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:36 pm

flamingfingers wrote:^^Plecas may have provided the first trickle in the leak of the dam.

Perhaps, but looking at Plecas's background, it seems his ideals were more in line with moderates on the left than with the Liberals. It seems to me he genuinely wanted to serve, and I think he would have been equally comfortable running under their banner had he lived in a riding that favoured the NDP.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:51 pm

But the Liberals saw him as a 'sure win'. Which he was. And still is.
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5447 posts

Postby Old Techie » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:54 pm

rustled wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:^^Plecas may have provided the first trickle in the leak of the dam.

Perhaps, but looking at Plecas's background, it seems his ideals were more in line with moderates on the left than with the Liberals. It seems to me he genuinely wanted to serve, and I think he would have been equally comfortable running under their banner had he lived in a riding that favoured the NDP.

Sounds like the consummate politician. Tell the peons whatever they want to hear to get yourself elected, regardless of where your true allegiance lies. :biggrin:

Wouldn't you love to know the truth as to when he was first approached about the speakers job?
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."
Old Techie
Übergod

Liked in: 1936 posts

Postby Old Techie » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:59 pm

^^ [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."
Old Techie
Übergod

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 8:31 pm

rustled wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Okay,I started out by googling 'Rich Coleman's brother'. From there you will find a lot of reading material. Come back and tell me what you discovered.

Thanks, yes, lots of reading but so far nothing about what you have alleged. Even adding "overseas" and "fraud" gives me nothing.

Can you give me a little more to go on?

There are many BCLP supporters who can't handle the truth and therefore refuse to read anything that's published in the Tyee, the Breaker, the Straight, or any of the news outlets that aren't considered 'mainstream'. I'm disappointed, because I didn't think you belonged to that group of uninformed, or misinformed people.

Believe what you wish to believe. Just don't talk down to people who prefer to dig deeper into the history of our elected officials.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 8:51 pm

rustled wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Okay,I started out by googling 'Rich Coleman's brother'. From there you will find a lot of reading material. Come back and tell me what you discovered.

Thanks, yes, lots of reading but so far nothing about what you have alleged. Even adding "overseas" and "fraud" gives me nothing.

Can you give me a little more to go on?

Cactusflower wrote:There are many BCLP supporters who can't handle the truth and therefore refuse to read anything that's published in the Tyee, the Breaker, the Straight, or any of the news outlets that aren't considered 'mainstream'. I'm disappointed, because I didn't think you belonged to that group of uninformed, or misinformed people.

Believe what you wish to believe. Just don't talk down to people who prefer to dig deeper into the history of our elected officials.

Cactusflower, the publications you named didn't return anything with those search terms. The pieces those publications provided when I googled using only 'Rich Coleman's brother' were not flattering, but they had nothing to do with what you alleged.

This isn't about believing what I wish to believe. It's about there being nothing out there that actually supports your very serious allegations.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 9:13 pm

rustled wrote:

Old Techie wrote: Sounds like the consummate politician. Tell the peons whatever they want to hear to get yourself elected, regardless of where your true allegiance lies. :biggrin:

Wouldn't you love to know the truth as to when he was first approached about the speakers job?

I'd like to think he was genuinely interested in public service. There's an interesting history here about what happened just after the Liberal party fell:
Why would the NDP and Greens target Plecas? Maybe they figured he’s miffed at being passed over for cabinet, even though he’s a noted criminologist with a doctorate in education.

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics ... be-speaker
I doubt we'll ever hear what happened in the later conversations, during his conversion. It all seems rather sordid, and I think the public is so tired of sordid.

It would be nice to see something better come about with the change of leadership. Perhaps those who loathed Clark will let it go, but from some of what we've seen in this thread, some folk are mired in a bottomless pit of seething resentment for the BC Liberals, and it's unlikely anyone will overcome that.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 9:20 pm

*removed* Where do you think all that graft was going?
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 11:49 pm

Cactusflower wrote:*removed*Where do you think all that graft was going?

*removed* I agree with Urbane:
Urbane wrote:...
Those who engage in libel, as we're seeing on here this evening, aren't helping themselves and they aren't helping the democratic process. The topic of this thread is "Next BC Liberal leader" and beyond the question of who that person might be is the question of WHY. When you can be libelled on forums like this one why would anyone want to lead the BC Liberal Party? I wouldn't wish the job on my worst enemy.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby Old Techie » Sep 14th, 2017, 8:26 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2017, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Old Techie
Übergod

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:26 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactusflower
Fledgling

Postby Carrs Landing Viking » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:29 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 14th, 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carrs Landing Viking
Board Meister

Liked in: 403 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.