51807
51564

Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 31st, 2017, 5:17 pm

There will be a by-election probably in early February 2018. Who do you see as suitable candidates for representing your area?

I would take a chance and go with a Green Party candidate - depending on background, knowledge and commitment - someone who lives in the community and intends to stay there.

Any suggestions? Any views on who?
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19474
Likes: 5156 posts
Liked in: 5812 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2017, 5:29 pm

If Ben Stewart is interested in his former mla seat, he could have it back. Central Okanagan tends to be BC Liberal territory.
Just look at the numbers
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19076
Likes: 2004 posts
Liked in: 6385 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby mr.bandaid » Jul 31st, 2017, 5:30 pm

A house plant.it will win.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2725
Likes: 39 posts
Liked in: 1618 posts
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 31st, 2017, 5:33 pm

mr.bandaid wrote:A house plant.it will win.


Well, they tried it last time.. how did that work for them?

Oh, just got the news from West Kelowna - it died last Friday!!
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

lasnomadas likes this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19474
Likes: 5156 posts
Liked in: 5812 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby neilsimon » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:12 pm

It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.

mikest2 likes this post.
User avatar
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 852
Likes: 434 posts
Liked in: 766 posts
Joined: Aug 13th, 2015, 6:35 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:17 pm

neilsimon wrote:It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.


Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:

3 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19076
Likes: 2004 posts
Liked in: 6385 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby neilsimon » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:21 pm

GordonH wrote:...
Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:

It's funny, because I've known lots of politicians in my time and I can honestly say that I have met a few who meet the criteria, including those who do not share the same political views I do. I'm not going naming names, it's too politically divisive, but such people exist, but rarely ever succeed in politics.

lasnomadas likes this post.
User avatar
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 852
Likes: 434 posts
Liked in: 766 posts
Joined: Aug 13th, 2015, 6:35 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:34 pm

How much enthusiasm and energy would a Liberal candidate put forth to represent the West Kelowna electorate in the face of the fact he/she would be sitting in opposition without any ability to do anything to influence government decisions? A Green candidate on the other hand, in view of the alliance (NOT a coalition) could make a difference to the West Kelowna residents.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

neilsimon likes this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19474
Likes: 5156 posts
Liked in: 5812 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:37 pm

GordonH wrote:Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:

neilsimon wrote:It's funny, because I've known lots of politicians in my time and I can honestly say that I have met a few who meet the criteria, including those who do not share the same political views I do. I'm not going naming names, it's too politically divisive, but such people exist, but rarely ever succeed in politics.


I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.
Since our democracy needs them voters have to choose the liar they prefer.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19076
Likes: 2004 posts
Liked in: 6385 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby neilsimon » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:41 pm

GordonH wrote:...
I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.
Since our democracy needs them voters have to choose the liar they prefer.

I wouldn't fault you on the majority of them, but there is the odd one in it for the right reasons who has principles and brains. The problem is that they often struggle against more charismatic snake oil salesmen.
User avatar
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 852
Likes: 434 posts
Liked in: 766 posts
Joined: Aug 13th, 2015, 6:35 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby George+ » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:52 pm

The former mayor of West Kelowna,
Would be a good candidate for the Greens or NDP.
They should run one candidate and see what happens.
Rosalind Neis.
George+
Guru
 
Posts: 9809
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 684 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 11:08 am
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jul 31st, 2017, 6:55 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
mr.bandaid wrote:A house plant.it will win.


Well, they tried it last time.. how did that work for them?

Oh, just got the news from West Kelowna - it died last Friday!!


Your comment sounds like something uttered by the lady who is up on charges for death threats against Ms Clark.

It's a rather scary situation when people hope a political leader in this country is dead.
Must see TV >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVshw0CY-Hc

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3767
Likes: 3868 posts
Liked in: 2476 posts
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:43 am

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby GordonH » Jul 31st, 2017, 7:01 pm

GordonH wrote:I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.
Since our democracy needs them voters have to choose the liar they prefer.

neilsimon wrote:I wouldn't fault you on the majority of them, but there is the odd one in it for the right reasons who has principles and brains. The problem is that they often struggle against more charismatic snake oil salesmen.

If they do exist (as I see it is doubtful), the weasel/bs'ing snake oil salesperson's/politicians drown them out. So they become totally useless politicians, just sticking around to get there own gold plated pension. Just so going to either Victoria or Ottawa was not a complete waste of their time.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19076
Likes: 2004 posts
Liked in: 6385 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby Old Techie » Jul 31st, 2017, 10:59 pm

flamingfingers wrote:How much enthusiasm and energy would a Liberal candidate put forth to represent the West Kelowna electorate in the face of the fact he/she would be sitting in opposition without any ability to do anything to influence government decisions? A Green candidate on the other hand, in view of the alliance (NOT a coalition) could make a difference to the West Kelowna residents.


You might be able to fool some, but I'm going to guess not many, as most see right through the motive here.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Rwede likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2879
Likes: 2375 posts
Liked in: 3971 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Postby madmudder » Aug 1st, 2017, 3:42 am

You might be able to fool some, but I'm going to guess not many, as most see right through the motive here.


Yes indeed I see the motive here from the righties.
User avatar
madmudder
Board Meister
 
Posts: 429
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 128 posts
Joined: Jan 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ol goat, Old Techie and 10 guests