Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:Oh, I recall that tempest in a teapot - men and women making unfounded accusations again one another. But it all worked out for the best with Furstenau being elected for the Greens.

Yes blatant racism and sexism is a "tempest in a teapot" that cost the brainless NDP two ridings. How many ridings will it cost these evil people in the next election?

I repeat the question - will certain people be banned from running for the NDP in the West Kelowna riding solely due to their sex and skin color? If so, why is this horrible racism and sexism being allowed? Where are the "human rights" commissions? Where is the Supreme Court? Where is justice being served against such disgusting bigots and racists? The NDP should have their arses sued right off for this disgusting behavior.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jayro
Fledgling

Post by jayro »

You do have a point the NDP don't seem to choose the best candiates with the best qualities. I don't get why they picked Dix as their leader he was terrible. Im not a big fan of the NDP but I actually quite like that Mike Farnsworth. With him as leader I feel they could have won the election in 2013. I also thought Carol James would have been a good choice but they seemed to have something against her too....its it racism or sexism not sure possibly.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Where is justice being served against such disgusting bigots and racists? The NDP should have their arses sued right off for this disgusting behavior.

if ndp are bigots and racists then team bclibs are nazis and isis sympathisers :130:
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I'm not exactly thrilled with the NDP's nomination process either, but I think it's up to the members to get together and protest this before the next election.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

maryjane48 wrote:
Where is justice being served against such disgusting bigots and racists? The NDP should have their arses sued right off for this disgusting behavior.

if ndp are bigots and racists then team bclibs are nazis and isis sympathisers :130:

Thanks for clearing that up. :laugh:
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

maryjane48 wrote:

:135: MJ, even I would never agree to that.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:I'm not exactly thrilled with the NDP's nomination process either,

I am curious as to why you aren't thrilled. Please elaborate. Also I am stunned that one of the biggest NDP mouthpieces here would actually say something about the NDP that wasn't spun to the positive. I am shocked even. You guys NEVER admit to anything negative in your party. Even the dumbest things you guys do and day are constantly spun or ignored. Could this be the sign of the NDP zombies tirning a new leaf? Some tiny amount of humility seeping into the giant pool of NDP arrogance and stupidity? I can't believe it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
lasnomadas wrote:I'm not exactly thrilled with the NDP's nomination process either,

I am curious as to why you aren't thrilled. Please elaborate. Also I am stunned that one of the biggest NDP mouthpieces here would actually say something about the NDP that wasn't spun to the positive. I am shocked even. You guys NEVER admit to anything negative in your party. Even the dumbest things you guys do and day are constantly spun or ignored. Could this be the sign of the NDP zombies tirning a new leaf? Some tiny amount of humility seeping into the giant pool of NDP arrogance and stupidity? I can't believe it.

Nothing but a one time anomaly GB. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

flamingfingers wrote:There will be a by-election probably in early February 2018. Who do you see as suitable candidates for representing your area?

I would take a chance and go with a Green Party candidate - depending on background, knowledge and commitment - someone who lives in the community and intends to stay there.

Any suggestions? Any views on who?

Yes, and were you bang on or what?

February 14th, we find out who we vote in to replace former MLA Christy Clark.

:popcorn:

Who is it going to be?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

neilsimon wrote:It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.

Is NeilSimon right? Ben Stewart is going to win this race?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I still think he will. With the HUGE scandal of ICBC, BC Hydro and more malfeasance to come as far as the ChristyLiberals are concerned, Ben will be seen to be squeaky clean and a familiar figure this Socred turned Liberal hotbed will blindly vote for him. I wish I was wrong, but.....
Chill
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Queen K wrote:
neilsimon wrote:It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.

Is NeilSimon right? Ben Stewart is going to win this race?

Neilsimon is wrong about the BC Libs winning this seat because neither Ben Stewart nor any other BC Liberal member qualifies to meet his criteria.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

As long as it's not NDP, Green, or other communist party.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

j watson wrote:As long as it's not NDP, Green, or other communist party.

As long as it's not NDP, Green, or the BC Liberal party? Then you must plan to vote for the Libertarians or Cons. Want to tell me which?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I went to the all candidates forum today and I'll give a quick breakdown of the candidates (in the order they were introduced):
1. Kyle Geronazzo (Libertarian): Young, naive, enthusiastic, but failed to communicate what the Libertarian party is all about, so not really well received by the crowd. He wasn't the most polished of speakers. Too light on ideas and too unpolished to not come last.
2. Ben Stewart (Liberal): Dull. Uninspiring and lacking in charisma. Possibly an off night for him, but really seemed like he wasn't present. Nothing interesting to say and repeatedly referred to the BC Liberal government in the present tense. When challenged by a heckler in the audience that he was a quitter, he didn't respond and just let it go rather than try to quash the view that he was just there to keep the seat warm. Didn't have anything innovative to share. And even Mark Thompson called him a quitter and the BC Liberals the party of quitters (Clark, Watts, Stewart). Not quite as well spoken or passionate as Cook, so second worst for the night.
3. Mark Thompson (Conservative): Well spoken, some good ideas that many others in the panel supported and nodded their heads to, including Cook/NDP. Definitely the winner of the night. He is a bit of a showman, but he was well prepared for the topics and is clearly a smart cookie.
4. Robert Stupka (Green): Not a great public speaker. Towed the party line a bit. Repeatedly referenced that he is an evidence oriented kind of person since he is an engineer. Quite a smart guy, probably quite capable. Second best performer, despite his unsteady delivery.
5. Shelley Cook (NDP): Not a bad public speaker, but goes on too long and delivers too little. Stuck to the party line all the way and kept reiterating party positions. Failed to connect with the people when she had a chance and didn't show great charisma. That said, did just enough to not look as weak as the damp squib punching bag of Stewart. 3rd best/worst.

The two biggest parties have poor candidates and I wish the electorate would punish them for giving us such poor choices. Ben needs to grow a backbone and stand up and be counted. He needs to make us believe in him and what he can do for BC, not just his party. He is a long term liability for the Liberals.

Shelley needs to get to know her constituents and how they differ from Vancouver voters. She needs to take local interests on, learn to represent us rather than tow a party line and sometimes even challenge what is being done. Sadly she seems to epitomise some of the most damning criticisms of the NDP.

Anyway, I have tried to leave my own biases out of the above. I am glad I went and I wish that all of the local voters had been there to see what our candidates offer. I suspect that it would have thrown open the race and neither NDP nor Liberal would sleep easy tonight if they had.

Return to “B.C.”