BC Hydro to buy Trail dam

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC Hydro to buy Trail dam

Post by Smurf »

I also forgot to mention that it was nice to see Hydro buying an investment for our future and not blowing the money on subsidies for alternative energies where the only ones seeing any investment are the recipients of the subsidies. Good on them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

^^^ Should have left well enough alone and stuck with BC Hydro buying the dam rather than start harping on alternative energy again.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Why, I don't have to worry because no one out there can give any proof whatsoever that alternative energy will work. You have certainly never met hobbyguy's challenge. I am willing to discuss it any time because at present it is not worth looking at in all but some specific applications. Facts please LOL. Best you move on again because you probably haven't got time to do the work necessary here.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Ace Storman

Post by Ace Storman »

Smurf wrote:I also forgot to mention that it was nice to see Hydro buying an investment for our future and not blowing the money on subsidies for alternative energies where the only ones seeing any investment are the recipients of the subsidies. Good on them.

...actually Smurf...not the way of thinking. You have to look at many states in the USA. They offer grants, tax credits and incentives to private individuals / companies (from 40-60% of the total cost) to build and construct private power systems to feed into the grid. No need for the government to build dams as the public / private sector is just adding to the grid. That is the way of the future and I hope that BC might lead the way in this.

The end result...user / builder of the system gets free power and gets paid for the power put back into the grid. This is by far cheaper then building a new dam
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Ace Storman wrote:
The end result...user / builder of the system gets free power and gets paid for the power put back into the grid. This is by far cheaper then building a new dam

I'd like to understand why. A power system is a power system - why would it be cheaper for 1 person to build vs another?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

No Ace Storman you are again talking subsidies. The government is using public money to give to business, that is a subsidy. Why would you want to pay someone to build an investment for themselves to own and make profits from. You can put that money towards building it yourself. Then you own the investment and make all the profits. Your idea makes no sense. If you have been following the site C thread you would know that the states that have been giving money to alternative power business's are cutting back on it because they are too expensive and hydro rates are soaring. We want to own the investments and make the profits not give it all away to private business.

lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

You're right, Smurf. Life's too short to do other people's homework for them. You do a lot of research, therefore you area aware of all the info you and hobbyguy keep asking me to produce, yet you get angry when I don't grab the bait.

BC Hydro, for reasons known only to them, have bought the remaining 2/3rds of the Waneta Dam. I will comment further when I learn why they bought it and what their other plans are for the future of the crown corporation that used to belong to all British Columbians.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I've noticed a number of BC Hydro vehicles around Kelowna lately, not the big repair vehicles just small SUV's & couple cars.
I find it curious since CoK is Fortis & not BC Hydro.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes I do research lasnomadas, but actually not that much. On this subject a great deal of it is past knowledge and keeping up with it because of interest. As far as the information we are asking you for I truly have never seen anything that would answer the challenge that hobbyguy put out and I don't believe it exists. That is why I also keep asking for proof when people, not only you, make unsubstantiated claims. I honestly have yet to see anything better than Hydro power for BC at this time. For certai specific purposes, yes and possibly in the future but not the near future.

lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

^^ I'm not against hydro power, Smurf, just Site C. You must know that.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Smurf wrote:No Ace Storman you are again talking subsidies. The government is using public money to give to business, that is a subsidy. Why would you want to pay someone to build an investment for themselves to own and make profits from. You can put that money towards building it yourself. Then you own the investment and make all the profits. Your idea makes no sense. If you have been following the site C thread you would know that the states that have been giving money to alternative power business's are cutting back on it because they are too expensive and hydro rates are soaring. We want to own the investments and make the profits not give it all away to private business.

surley you jest . :135: if you really think dams are the future and thats it i suggest you scarpe up few billion and pay for it yourself. the rest of us will embrace progress while your driving around in horse and buggy . if you think their is no proof solar or any other true green energy doesnt work then i wonder if you think the sun is just a giant lightbulb ? and if you want talk subsadies its us taxpayer paying for dam .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

lasnomadas, how can you be against something that is so good for the province of BC and it's citizens in the long run. It will guarantee lower rates in the long term than anything else available. It will give us a stable, synchronous system, that will allow the future use of alternative systems if and when the become viable. It is just plain good.

maryjane48 I have never said I thought Hydro dams were the way of the future. I say they are the way of today. There is no alternative system that is viable at this time for BC, especially when we have Hydro like site C available. If you can show me any system that is not subsidized and is viable for BC today, I might change my mind but until you can meet that challenge you are wrong.

Please give us facts and figures that prove there are systems out there working that are viable for BC and better than site C. I will say again it is impossible.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Site C will allow for more electric vehicles. Want to recharge your electric vehicle? We need the substructure to allow for it.

Want public E stations for the mulitple electric vehicles? We need Site C.

Great Britian has passed a motion to eliminate the combustion engine by 2040 right? They don't have a Site C. Can't wait to see how it's all going to be powered.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Smurf & QueenK:
Site C is a boondoggle, as you are about to discover via the BCUC which, incidentally, should have been consulted before the boondoggle began. B.C. has many hydroelectric dams that need upgrading and/or expansion. If BC Hydro could concentrate on that, along with investing in alternative renewable energy projects, they would not be in the dire straits that they now find themselves. And if you don't think the geotechnical problems that they're faced with (yet continue to downplay) are dire, then you haven't been doing your homework.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Guaranteed it will be expensive and they are already suffering high rates.

Return to “B.C.”