Wrecklessness or bad luck

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

am writing this post from Maiden Creek in the middle of our field at 4:15 am. It is with the saddest of heart that I have to tell you that our mountains are on fire all around us. This is due to a tragic back burn that went horribly wrong. This wasn't because of an unforeseen turn of events but for valid reasons that this back burn was completely unsafe. The forestry decided to bomb our mountain with fire in the middle of a windy afternoon with our neighbour still in the hills desperately trying to get his cows to safety. While we watched this horrendous sight, there was no heavy equipment waiting, no firetrucks and no structural crews as far as our eyes could see on our side of the fire. The result was the wind created a class 6 fire which started a vortex /tornedo that was so strong that trees were being ripped out of the ground by their roots. A delta fire crew was at the other end of the fire and said that the vacuum of air was so strong it was all they could do to shut their doors and drive as fast as they could to safety dragging their fire hoses behind them. Of course this lifted the fire over the highway onto yet another mountain range that has more perfect conditions to travel for miles. Now Hundreds of cows are running to stay alive while thousands of different species of wildlife will be doing the same. What is the most heartbreaking to hear is this is all being reported as the Elephant Hill Wildfire when in Fact it is just one of Many Back Burns gone wrong and not reported as such. Now My home and my neighbours homes are all in serious jeopardy and how is a ranch that is over 150 years old to survive with no herd? I want to thank all the Fire departments that came to help afterwards including the Delta crew that came straight to our house. The ground Crews are working hard through the night as well as many machine operators. How do we make this stop? The whole world needs to hear why this fire continues to grow and why our province is spending over $10,000/hr on helicopters to stop the NEW FIRES that are being created by back burns. Please help us-- We just don't know what to do anymore.

thats from 100 mile comments online.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Wrecklessness or bad luck

Post by TylerM4 »

I doubt anyone here has the expertise and enough information about this particular event to make that assessment. Tho I'm sure some will try.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

TylerM4 wrote:I doubt anyone here has the expertise and enough information about this particular event to make that assessment. Tho I'm sure some will try

perfect comment. I wasn't there so Should not comment on what happened but will say a back burn on the OK Mt. Park fire in 2003 just above Glenfir and Indian Rock, worked absolutely perfectly.( wind was and stayed in its favor) The owner at the time of the Paradise Ranch vineyards put up a bit of a fuss that the back burn might burn some of his property... It was saved as were the structures at Glenn Fir because of the back burn.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

already mentioned on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73426&p=2220837#p2220837
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

thanks fancy but i want this to stay here because if there are lawsuits ect that shouldnt be covered in a fire section . . :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the folks around clinton are leveling some serious accusations

Residents of Clinton in the B.C. Interior are accusing crews of recklessly setting control fires after a prescribed burn quickly got out of hand Tuesday, jumping the highway and burning an entire mountainside and beyond.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4231953
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

maryjane48 wrote:thanks fancy but i want this to stay here because if there are lawsuits ect that shouldnt be covered in a fire section

I don't know how the people affected could prove intent. Truly is a shame the burn went pear-shaped, but reports from the ministry has mentioned the wind shifted....
Time will tell and sure a report of sorts will come out.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

negligence doesnt require intent. just willfull disregard
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Wilful disregard would be hard to prove. I doubt residents documented exact times and wind conditions when the backburning started.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Fancy wrote:Wilful disregard would be hard to prove. I doubt residents documented exact times and wind conditions when the backburning started.

um one lady posted a video which im sure is time stamped . it showed the chopper dropping fire. side question . why you against people that live their with their houses and lives on the line ? you plan on going to clinton to tell them to clam up ? :200:
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

This certainly isn't the first 'controlled' burn that's gone sideways. I recall living near Salmon Arm in 1998 when a controlled burn wiped out a whole mountainside, including some farm structures along Salmon River Rd, (or was it called Silver Creek Rd, I'm not sure). Homeowners have lost much of their property and livestock due to these controlled burns. There is something seriously wrong with the upper management of the BC Wildfire Service, and these recurring incidents need to be investigated, not swept under the rug, as what has been happening up until now.

I must go back and read the original CBC story, but I believe the residents did document the times and wind conditions.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:um one lady posted a video which im sure is time stamped . it showed the chopper dropping fire. side question . why you against people that live their with their houses and lives on the line ? you plan on going to clinton to tell them to clam up ? :200:

Why are you being ridiculous and making up what I said? Maybe you don't live in a fire prone area but I do and it's no laughing matter.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lasnomadas wrote:I must go back and read the original CBC story, but I believe the residents did document the times and wind conditions.

Thanks for your response. I find that some people get confused as to what's actually going on at what time (just read maryjane48's posts) and good for them to document events as they happen.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

they did the exact same thing here in 03 even after being told the wind blows almost everyday out of the south almost lost our home along with several others, incompetence at its best.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/203610 ... hers-livid

now those affected by the burn that got out of control are asking for compensation. . be interesting see how this plays out going forward

Return to “B.C.”