US doesn't like our wine rules....

dle
Lord of the Board

US doesn't like our wine rules....

Post by dle »

You know what? Boo-flippin-hoo.....

Tired of hearing what the US doesn't like .... tired of hearing all their US protectionism bs but no other country is allowed, in their itty-bitty mind, to have their own rules for US product coming into our countries....

They forget - Trump started all these little wars when he fired the first salvo with the latest softwood lumber tariffs (even though they keep imposing them and keep losing in WTO reviews) so I guess they should be prepared to take it if they are so quick to dish it out...
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: US doesn't like our wine rules....

Post by gman313 »

free trade is free trade

I'm with the US on this one but free trade should be free trade, not just as convenient for them.

should open those grocery stores up to everything!
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

gman313 wrote:free trade is free trade

I'm with the US on this one but free trade should be free trade, not just as convenient for them.

Free trade makes no sense to me. BC has plenty of wineries with a wide variety of wines to choose from. The need to send trucks with California wine to BC while trucks full of BC wine pass these trucks on the way to California is insanity. Seems to me the only people winning are the oil companies from which all the gas for the trucks was purchased.

Start eating local, buy local wine, eat in-season local food and import only the things we cannot grow here in BC. Carbon tax charged to the population and incentives to buy green electric vehicles are pushed consistently when I think the real issue is nonsensical shipping of goods that can be produced 50 km from your doorstep. I'm happy with our wine regulations to include only BC wine in stores. Sell our own local product first and if demand for more wine exists (seems impossible as we manufacture so much each year) then import some in.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Free trade makes sense on a larger scale. You will always find anomalies on certain industries.

An example:

Country A makes bread. They are really really good at it and can make great bread for $1 loaf.

Country B also makes bread and has excellent agricultural land and also grows potatoes. Since they lack some of the resources to make bread efficiently they can make a loaf for $3. Instead of making bread for $3/loaf, they import from Country A for a cost of $1 plus shipping totaling $1.95 per loaf. Still cheaper than they can produce AND they are freeing up resources to continue to make grow their excellent potatoes, partially for export

everyone wins

So add up all the exports and imports with a particular country and you will have a deficit, a surplus, or break even. Ideally you break even but that is not possible with the US because our population sizes are significantly different.

However, with free trade, both countries increase their GDP and have more wealth, than without.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Little off topic here:
US dairy industry uses hormones, there dairy products are cheaper. There is no way in hell I would want to buy their products in Canada.
Canada does not use hormones & yes our dairy products are more expensive. My concern is long term effects of drinking & eating items with those hormones added.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

GordonH wrote:Little off topic here:
US dairy industry uses hormones, there dairy products are cheaper. There is no way in hell I would want to buy their products in Canada.
Canada does not use hormones & yes our dairy products are more expensive. My concern is long term effects of drinking & eating items with those hormones added.

Actually on topic the US tends to use more Sulphur as well. They also have more disease and pest issues and likely (guessing though) use more pesticides, herbicides and fungicides as well.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

gman313 wrote:[...]free trade should be free trade, not just as convenient for them.

I'm on board with this.
Your bias suits you.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we just allowedgmo food and your worried about that ? plus all of our chicken from big farms is full of stuff . canada is no better when it comes to what is in food .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

No one cares about the environmental impact of shipping goods all over the world?
No one cares about the people who work in these regions to produce "cheaper bread"?
I am all for restrictions on any produce that can be produced in Canada, in this case wine. Just as the US is renegotiating lumber. People are becoming aware of the consequences associated with this type of economy.

China's Neglected Consumers
http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-on-the-economic-rise-too-bad-their-quality-of-life-isnt-2011-8
In China's case, another fact may influence the disconnect between the country's rising GDP and stagnant life evaluations: Rapid economic growth has translated into a considerably less dramatic increase in the actual income of most Chinese citizens. That's because China's growth has been much more heavily investment-driven than consumption-driven. In other words, China's capacity to produce consumer products has far outstripped its people's ability to purchase them. Currently, just 36% of China's GDP is accounted for by private consumption, well below the percentage in other major economies.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

[quote="Sparki55"]No one cares about the environmental impact of shipping goods all over the world?
No one cares about the people who work in these regions to produce "cheaper bread"?
I am all for restrictions on any produce that can be produced in Canada, in this case wine. Just as the US is renegotiating lumber. People are becoming aware of the consequences associated with this type of economy.

[quote]

we have a price on carbon too so that can be incorporated. Money trumps all in our society, right or wrong

Return to “B.C.”