Govt. makes ABE free again

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Govt. makes abe free again

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:
neilsimon wrote: Great move and helps to fix the damage done by some very short-sighted decision makers.

I assume you're talking about those who made the very, very poor decision to drop out of school and end up in menial, low-paying employment.

It was not a choice of any government that these people flunked out. The responsibility and choice to complete your "free" basic high school education is yours and yours alone.

Where to begin.

First we all know that MJs exuberance about this decision is well meaning but as we know, it isn't "free" nor is it going to be free for very long if a new election returns a more conservative, unforgiving, know-it-all, life happens from A-Z and nothing else, way of thinking.

Most of us know Life Happens in a linear way, A-Z, is not the case for everyone. Sorry, but it is not.

Rwede, as you've so grandly pointed out, most high school drop outs have a life sentence ahead of them working menial, low paying jobs and may actually find the $1600 fee for ABE yet another barrier to pulling themselves out off of the hamster wheel of poverty. What do you and I know, we haven't been there for a long time have we? You and I.

As Neilsimon has pointed out this move may assist people in getting pre-requisites needed to get back on the long waitlists for college courses and God knows, trades and univeristy courses. Trades in case you haven't heard Rwede, are in great demand and will remain strongly in demand as the boomers retire. We need skilled people. We need adults who have lived life, know their way around and know what they want and won't be blowing their second chance at life to succeed.

But we all know you are being devils advocate for asking about who pays for it. Who pays for social services when poor people can't save enough to maintain their vehicles to keep their jobs? When life throws curve balls? When someone gets sick?

That the ABE gets to be accessible, not free, MJ you know it's not free too, is going to be a boon to adults who want to get "unstuck." I know a man who went deeply into debt to get his LPN license. But he had to up grade first. Up grading is where it's at.

I hope adults all over BC grab this opportunity as it may not last.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

Rwede wrote:I assume you're talking about those who made the very, very poor decision to drop out of school and end up in menial, low-paying employment.

Or people who experienced severe bullying and were basically forced out...
Or people who experienced a mental illness and couldn't afford treatment and thus couldn't handle school....
Or....

So many people will benefit from free ABE. Don't you want your tax dollars to go to positive things? If not ABE then where do you want your tax dollars going exactly? People always say "not my tax dollars" to everything.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^^ Right, exactly.

And if I haven't made the point clear enough for those who think this ABE should still have $1600 barriers to accessibility, abject poverty is not "free."

Affordable housing.
Food banks.
Social services
Coping via drugs and alcohol

Sorry, not free anymore than ABE is free. But we have to start somewhere to assist people back into better employment and skills.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:Can you explain what is "free" about any service from government?

Can you explain how it gets paid for?

Okay, let me put it another way, since when has poverty been "free"?
Here is a chance for people to mend their choices, lives and set themselves on a better path.

No, ABE won't be free, MJ misspoke. But don't beat up on her choice of words over semantics. Poverty isn't free in this country either.

:135:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

no im sticking with free for who wants take advantage . of course someone has to pay . us the tax payers pay . but so what ? . when clark lost the bctf court case who payed ? if bcuc says no go on site c who pays for that bclib mistake ? us . :smt045
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm glad you posted that MJ.

And "so what" is my point too, only I added that it's to take people out of dead end situations and thus ending up costing less.

Free for the user of course, and to me, that's okay this time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What reason is there for being opposed to this? Don't we want an educated population who contributes to our society? Doesn't that make us better as a country? I dropped out in Grade 12 and moved out at 16, for personal reasons. I upgraded my courses (for "free" as I hasn't graduated officially) later on, went to post secondary and have a pretty great career path going on. To me that was a good thing, and I want the same for others. We don't all take the same path. This was a smart move that will help lots of people improve their lives.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

The way I see government spending is that there will be some that benefit me, and some that won't.

No benefit to me but somebody willing to learn can have this one.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mature adults do better in school, sometimes I think kids between 15 and 17 need to travel the World to see how lucky they have it here with our education system, and then they'd pay more attention.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Queen K wrote:Mature adults do better in school, sometimes I think kids between 15 and 17 need to travel the World to see how lucky they have it here with our education system, and then they'd pay more attention.

Getting to see more of the World, to see all that is on offer, to realise that Canada isn't the best at everything or even most things, to see variety and learn from others, that would be one of the greatest educations one can get, but it takes an open mind and a level of maturity that teenagers most just don't have. That said, some would bring home great ideas and more informed opinions and that could result in a phenominal level of progress in Canada, if they were listened to.

Return to “B.C.”