Whale hit by whale watchers

johnrae
Fledgling

Whale hit by whale watchers

Post by johnrae »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203716

These people should be charged. The article didn't even mention how badly the whale was cut by the prop or if the whale survived. I don't care if any humans were hurt. The law states to stay a certain distance from these beautiful creatures. These people will do anything to make a buck.
Disgusting scum.....
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Whale hit by whale watchers

Post by maryjane48 »

i agree . if it isnt bioligsts taking folks out it shouldnt be allowed .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

cbc now reporting they feel good the whale wasnt injured. coast gaurd and transportaion ministry investigating
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Operation manager for the tour company, Ben Duthie told CTV News that the animal had not been observed but happened to surface immediately in front of the vessel.

They were watching another whale when this whale surfaced without warning. Thing about the ocean, it's kind of big. When you're focused on keeping distance from one of them it's hard to anticipate another will pop out directly in from of you. If that was the expectation every watercraft on every body of water would be at trolling speed 24/7.

Have you been on whale watching tours before? I can't speak for every one of them out there, but the ones I have been on are exceptionally respectful of the distance they are from these animals.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

forward facing sonar would have picked it up .
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The whale watching business is just another tourist trap. They harass the whales and much of the other sea life as well. Why do people feel the need to get up-close and personal with all wildlife? There are plenty of excellent wildlife shows on TV (National Geographic, etc.) and their professional photographers have the equipment and expertise to obtain much better footage than any amateur on a whale-watching tour.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

maryjane48 wrote:forward facing sonar would have picked it up .

How so? You assume the whale approached the boat from the front - the article doesn't state that. It merely states the bow of the boat was raised from the water. The whale could have approached from port or starboard, and at an angle from the rear.

Humpback whales can also move bloody fast when they're surfacing/breeching, and interact with far more than just whalewatching tour boats. That area has sailboats, kayaks, cruise ships, cargo ships, ferries... you name it. The suggestion of charging boat operators that aren't biologists is a *bleep* kneejerk reaction that hasn't been thought through at all.

I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 9th, 2017, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

forwrd facing sonar with 180 dregree sweep would pick anyth8ng up in front to the sides .

the whale watching should be ended if they cant do it properly. theres zero reason to get as close as they do and it is a privialge . not a right . pretty ignorant to think anyone has a right to do it. they dont . move on . play the ball not the person
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

lasnomadas wrote:The whale watching business is just another tourist trap. They harass the whales and much of the other sea life as well. Why do people feel the need to get up-close and personal with all wildlife? There are plenty of excellent wildlife shows on TV (National Geographic, etc.) and their professional photographers have the equipment and expertise to obtain much better footage than any amateur on a whale-watching tour.

Couldn't disagree more.

This is a very lucrative industry and thousands upon thousands of people want to experience seeing the whales. The key word being experience. You don't experience anything watching National Geographic.

These companies are highly regulated and as an earlier poster replied very respectful of the mammals and their environment. My roomate in University was a guide and I would go out any chance I could get when there was a seat to fill. It's hard to describe the thrill of being out on the ocean seeing these massive beasts!

This was an isolated incident and not indicative of the entire industry. This kind of stuff happens. Could it have been prevented? Possibly, but considering all the tours that happen daily, these occurences are very rare and unfortunate.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I've heard the Whale was drunk on fermented krill. Due to his cause of impaired accident he should be jailed for 5 years atr sea world.

Won't someone take a stand against impaired whales. goodness.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Loki2u:
I worked on the waters of the mainland inlets for years as a commercial fisher, so I saw these wonderful creatures many times, but not because I went in search of them. (The dolphins were my favourite marine mammals, though. They used to play in the wake of the boat sometimes). I understand why people want to go on these whale-watching tours. It's just that I don't think it's much fun for the whales. It's just another interaction with humans that they don't need, IMHO.

And I don't think the whale watching industry is as well-regulated as you think it is. Otherwise, how do you explain the Leviathan II disaster.......and others?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

lasnomadas wrote:The whale watching business is just another tourist trap. They harass the whales and much of the other sea life as well. Why do people feel the need to get up-close and personal with all wildlife? There are plenty of excellent wildlife shows on TV (National Geographic, etc.) and their professional photographers have the equipment and expertise to obtain much better footage than any amateur on a whale-watching tour.

I have no objections to people doing a Justin and whale watching from a Kayak. If the whale surfaces under you, your taking a cold bath and it isn't getting hurt any more than it would if it hit a log.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

In the history of tourists watching whales , I wonder how often something like this happens?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Not very often, apparently. I googled 'whale watching accidents' and all I came up with was a bunch of stories about that one at Tofino. I guess they aren't reported unless there are fatalities.

Return to “B.C.”