Transportation of petroleum products

Which method of transportation do you prefer and why?

1) Pipeline
94%
2) Railway
No votes
3) Tanker
No votes
4) Other - please explain
6%

Total votes: 50

Opeeved
Fledgling

Re: Transportation of petroleum products

Post by Opeeved »

A few comments. I notice the poll is 98% in favour of pipelines. Makes sense. With redundancy I see no reason why pipelines aren't the safest mode.
I also noticed that tanker is included in the poll. I'm no expert in this area, as I'm assuming none of us are, but from my knowledge, that is exactly where the pipe line leads, to a tanker for export. I may be wrong but, isn't that what the conservative (Harper) gov't set us up for? To be an energy exporter? We export conflict free "oil" in the 50-70 percentile to the US. Is that all through pipeline?
And lastly, why must there be division between BC and Alta? I thought we were all the one and the same within the borders of Canada. I've heard/read disagreements between both provinces and it's as if we're different countries. Id like to say grow up idiots but the indomitable truth is we depend on each other for prosperity. Crap, I could go on about divisive politics but what I'd like to see?
Truth in the fact that all our lives depend on oil, our economy is important but our children's future depends on our wise choices today, non partisan.
Sorry, going on. Made my points I wanted to :130:
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@smurf:
I've been checking my e-mail trash to find the one that was sent to me from SumofUs.org. I made a mistake. It isn't Syncrude that's trying to get the AER to approve a 2085 deadline for clean-up of the tar sands tailings ponds, it's Suncor. Since you would never believe anything that you read on the SumofUs site, in fact I'm sure you would never read anything on that site, I don't know where else to tell you find that info. Perhaps on the Alberta Energy Regulator's site? Or Suncor itself? Let me know if you find proof that what I stated was wrong.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm not the one making the claim, I would say it is up to you to provide the proof if you want people to believe you, not me. I'm busy digging up my own information, you can dig up your own.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I told you where I got my information. Now it's up to you to prove that my source is wrong.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Nope, from past experience it is not worth wasting my time when you can't even present facts it is because there are none.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

It's worth checking out the SumOfUs site, if you can think of anything to protest, or need to find something new to protest.They're there for you. LOL
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

^^Thanks for at least googling their site anyway, mike. It's nice to know that some regulars here know how to use a search engine. However, making light of the investigative work that certain organizations do in order to keep us informed is much like closing your eyes, plugging your ears and humming rather than hear some inconvenient truths.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

stuphoto wrote:None of the above, go with 100% renewable resources.

such as?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:The only alternative is to leave the sludge in the Alberta tar sands,

why is that the only alternative?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote: Now it's up to you to prove that my source is wrong.

no, actually it's not.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote: However, making light of the investigative work that certain organizations do in order to keep us informed is much like closing your eyes, plugging your ears and humming rather than hear some inconvenient truths.

no one is plugging their ears to the inconvenient lies being spouted by the warmists. They are just tired of hearing the same rhetoric over and over again about how said warmists want to destroy the economy in the name of a fairy tale.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Transport of Petrol.

Pipeline, since all trucks and trains are, are cut up pipelines on wheels (or floaties)

The risk factors are greatly reduced.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have actually been on that site lasnomadas and I don't believe I ever saw anything that presented facts to prove what it was saying. Maybe if they did present some factual information I would look at them more often. Like most of those sites they talk but never produce real facts to back up what they are saying.

I actually did look at the Suncor site and found nothing to back up your claim that they asked for time till 2085. They have asked for a review of what they have replied for but no real information was given other that they are developing new technology and need time to test it, no real time line that I saw. They did list some of the ongoing things they are doing.

We are committed to ultimately returning all lands disturbed by our oil sands mining and in situ operations to a self-sustaining, locally common boreal forest ecosystem. Our efforts have led to milestones already being reached in both tailings pond and wetland reclamation, including:

In 2010, Suncor became the first oil sands company to reclaim a tailings pond to a trafficable surface, consisting of a 220 hectare watershed that supports a mixed-wood forest, a network of streams and a marsh wetland;
In 2011, Suncor joined 12 companies to form Canada’s Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA) to enable responsible and sustainable growth of Canada’s oil sands while delivering accelerated improvement in environmental performance through collaborative action and innovation;
In 2012, Suncor set a new planting record for planting the most trees, shrub and aquatic plants in a single season - 694,533 seedlings;
In 2013, Suncor became one of the first companies in the world to complete reconstruction of a fen peatland watershed.
In 2015, Suncor planted more than 230 hectares in one season, exceeding our record for the largest area reclaimed in one year.
By the end of 2016, Suncor had planted more than 7.9 million trees, shrubs and aquatic plants at our Base plant alone – including 692,808 trees planted in the previous year.

Another interesting tidbit:

Since Suncor opened Canada’s first oil sands mine in 1967, our oil sands operations have disturbed approximately 22,179 hectares of land. Land reclamation takes place once the disturbed land is no longer part of active operations. As of the end of 2016, the company had reclaimed about 10% of the total land disturbance to date.

https://sustainability.suncor.com/2017/ ... 1502632237

I could not find the total amount of land in Alberta in hectares but I did find this.

Total number of hectares in farm land in 2006 21,095,393

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 5j-eng.htm

Total number of hectares where Albertans own mineral rights:

Albertans own the mineral rights for 53.7 million hectares of land. That's about 81 per cent of Alberta's total land area. The remaining 19 per cent are freehold mineral rights owned by private individuals and companies or minerals owned by the federal government (National Parks, Indian Reserves).

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/Tenure/863.asp

Do you realize how small an area the 22,179 hectares that suncor has affected is in the grand scheme of things just in Alberta alone let alone all of Canada. It is minuscule. Having said that I do believe that it should all be reclaimed when possible, in a timely fashion. I also believe they are working at it. My son was involved with it when he was an engineer in the Alberta Oil Fields. Are they doing it fast enough I have no idea. It would never be fast enough for some. It is definitely not something I am going to get into a knot about unless there is some proof something bad is going on and I have seen nothing of the sort. If anyone has any proof, please present it.

lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Smurf:
Thanks for that Suncor info, but they don't give a time-line on when they expect to have all their tailings ponds cleaned up. They have only reported the 10% that they have reclaimed as of 2016. So that 2085 date that was reported by SumofUs could be correct. I will go to the AER site and see what I can find.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I'm back, Smurf. After scrolling through at least a half dozen news items from the AER, the latest being August 5, 2017, "Journey Energy estimates pipeline near Winfield, AB leaked 8,000 litres of oil", I found the latest item regarding Suncor's tailings plan, posted May 15, 2017. So I suppose that SumofUs report is still to be reported by the MSM. In the meantime, I'm unable to prove that Suncor's proposal was for clean-up to be delayed until 2085. The latest info from the AER is that all tailings pond clean-up must be completed within 10 years. More to come on this saga, I guess.

Return to “B.C.”