Transportation of petroleum products

Which method of transportation do you prefer and why?

1) Pipeline
94%
2) Railway
No votes
3) Tanker
No votes
4) Other - please explain
6%

Total votes: 50

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Transportation of petroleum products

Post by Smurf »

That is why I stay away from those sites they grab a small excerpt from something, misinterpret it and then hope people will get sucked into believing it and some do. Look at Greenpeace and the crap they have been caught doing, yet the weak minded still believe in what they say. Sometimes their causes are good but the way they work is mostly totally deceptive and lies.

I actually have no idea if 10% remediation is reasonable or not because I have no idea what is ready to be done or how long it has been ready. Without pertinent information how can one know if it is good or bad?

The oil spill is bad but I wonder if the same amount of oil was hauled by transport truck or train from the same point to point what the result would be. We will never know, but the amount of oil that goes through these pipelines would clog our highways with trucks and very likely cause numerous spills and accidents. Think Lac-Mégantic.

Enough on remediation so back to the topic and as far as I am concerned pipelines are the way to go. The ultimate would be no transportation, but I think we all know in the real world that is not going to happen for a very long time.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Then, as usual, we will just have to agree to disagree. Please don't imply that everyone who is anti-bitumen export is 'weak-minded'. I don't imply that all tar sands promoters are weak-minded, but I do think their opinions are money-motivated, whereas the anti-fossil fuel movement is motivated by a need to protect the environment.
spooker

Post by spooker »

At what point do we get off our collective butts and stop taking the easy way out of continuing to use (or overuse) fossil fuels?

If we continue to spend money on extending our dependence on oil (developing ways to transport and refine bitumen) then we're just helping to guarantee that we're f'd at some point when we realize that we haven't done enough to make real strides on alternatives (because it costs more or it's too hard)

</rant>
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i picked other because it should stay in the ground
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

[off topic.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 16th, 2017, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 16th, 2017, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:i picked other because it should stay in the ground

But it won't.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Well, it won't be transported across B.C., that's for sure. Maybe Rachel and Justin will just have to settle for KeystoneXL.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

lasnomadas wrote:Well, it won't be transported across B.C., that's for sure. Maybe Rachel and Justin will just have to settle for KeystoneXL.

It already does and will continue to do so. Pipeline, rail, truck, doesn't really matter :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

That's what you think. That 60+ year old pipeline will be decommissioned before KM ever gets shovels in the ground for another one. And no, bitumen won't be transported by train or truck across B.C. either. If Alberta wants to ship conventional oil to China, F.N. and the environmentalists might agree to that. But if Alberta thinks they can threaten B.C. with turning off the oil tap, fine. We'll just ship our own oil down to our refineries. If we don't have enough, we'll simply import it from the US (just as we have done for years anyway).
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/204805 ... n-pipeline

if you invested in this i would suggest uninvesting . :130: [icon_lol2.gif]
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/204805/BC-to-intervene-on-pipeline

Maybe time to invest in the railways since that's how a lot of the petroleum products will move.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/204805/BC-to-intervene-on-pipeline

Don't invest in any insurance carriers that insure rail or truck. Remember Lac Megantic ?
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

what makes you think bc cant ban the rail truck transport of dilbit in bc ? why are you for something that dangerous ? do you not care about your fellow bcer ?
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

maryjane48 wrote:what makes you think bc cant ban the rail truck transport of dilbit in bc ? why are you for something that dangerous ? do you not care about your fellow bcer ?

I would say YOU do not care about your fellow B.C.er............blind to so much in your little world.

Return to “B.C.”