ICBC a mess....

jimmy4321
Guru

Re: ICBC a mess....

Post by jimmy4321 »

When ALL is revealed it would be smart for Horgan to begin whatever procedure to end ICBC and ONLY allow private insurance. The NDP would score major points and that would be golden considering the NDP/Greens are on fragile ground.
Make it a major part of their election campaign which won't be that far off.
It's a great opportunity for the NDP.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

^^ When it comes to ICBC there is no opportunity for the NDP to 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'. Dave Barrett (NDP) back in the 70s saw how British Columbia drivers were being ripped off by private insurance companies and decided to form a Crown corporation to offer affordable vehicle insurance for B.C.

It was well received and was one of B.C.'s 'crown jewels' until the BC Liberals started siphoning off massive amounts of money from ICBC (and others) in order to show that they could balance their budget, thus duping the electorate into re-electing them........four times! How embarrassing for those who voted for them when they found out they'd been scammed.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

jimmy4321 wrote:When ALL is revealed it would be smart for Horgan to begin whatever procedure to end ICBC and ONLY allow private insurance. The NDP would score major points and that would be golden considering the NDP/Greens are on fragile ground.
Make it a major part of their election campaign which won't be that far off.
It's a great opportunity for the NDP.

They will never get rid of it, but they can certainly clean it up. Once ANY government has an endless line of cash coming in as in ICBC, they are WORSE than crack addicts. They will lie and cheat the taxpayers then BLAME the taxpayers to get more.

I mentioned this in another thread..............all of the so-called experts that have been hired and paid with taxpayer money determined the only way out for ICBC is to raise rates or some other form of extortion. This is ALWAYS the simplest way without upsetting the "applecart" or status quo. Now, you want an honest audit or recommendation on waste at ICBC..........hire Hunter Harrison........past CEO of CN Rail and CP Rail. He was ruthless with the cuts he made at those companies and profit and share price SOARED. Employees hated him and shareholders loved him.

I can see it now........Horgan will tell us that top-loaded management at ICBC will be thinned out when one of them is set to retire in 3 years and the position will not be replaced.........or some similar, often used "cry of the desperate" with hopes that the taxpayers see this and anoint him for 4 more years.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lesliepaul wrote:They will never get rid of it, but they can certainly clean it up. Once ANY government has an endless line of cash coming in as in ICBC, they are WORSE than crack addicts. They will lie and cheat the taxpayers then BLAME the taxpayers to get more.

"Once ANY government has an endless line of cash.."
The NDP aren't angels and I believe they did give ICBC customers rebates on insurance ahead of an election. BUT the Liberals were the ones who identified ICBC as a source of ready cash.

Run as designed, "Not for Profit" this point of yours doesn't hold water

I mentioned this in another thread..............all of the so-called experts that have been hired and paid with taxpayer money determined the only way out for ICBC is to raise rates or some other form of extortion. This is ALWAYS the simplest way without upsetting the "applecart" or status quo. Now, you want an honest audit or recommendation on waste at ICBC..........hire Hunter Harrison........past CEO of CN Rail and CP Rail. He was ruthless with the cuts he made at those companies and profit and share price SOARED. Employees hated him and shareholders loved him.

I think you'll find that nobody is paid with "taxpayer's money"

We do need good direction for ICBC based on sound GOVERNMENT auto insurance principles, NOT based on private insurance experiences. I suspect the problem is that there are few auto insurance experts that are versed in GOVERNMENT auto insurance.

I can see it now........Horgan will tell us that top-loaded management at ICBC will be thinned out when one of them is set to retire in 3 years and the position will not be replaced.........or some similar, often used "cry of the desperate" with hopes that the taxpayers see this and anoint him for 4 more years.

When you are talking about a multi billion dollar insurance company cutting a few high end salaries won't amount to a hill of beans.

What we might see is a move towards "Threshold No Fault" insurance.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Start by bringing ICBC back to its original intent. Seems like there tentacles are into everything nowadays.
RobC9354

Post by RobC9354 »

Part of the mess with ICBC is driven by the increased costs from the number accidents on the roads. I drive highway 1 in the Lower Mainland between Surrey and Abbotsford daily. The driving on this road and number of accidents is appalling. So what does ICBC do? They post a drivers test online for people to see how well they do. I took the test and not one of the items relates to the causes of the increased accidents. The causes as I've seen them from driving habits are, following too close, constant lane jumping thinking you'll get there faster, driver distraction, driving slow in the left lane refusing to move over and lack of enforcement on the highway. BC creates a slower drivers use the right lane law, post a bunch of signs and think that will solve the problem.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Maybe the insurance companies should be more vocal towards vehicle manufactures and question why the cost of the simplest parts on a vehicle have quadrupled in cost in 10 years. Headlights, tail lights that today are LED equipped and have a long life are put into housings that have become "styling art". Leave that type of design to Porsche, Ferrari and such but we do not need to see it on a Chevy, Ford or Mazda........vehicles that truly constitute 99% of the product out there.

I know insurance companies in the U.S. that will not insure certain types of vehicles that they have deemed to have excessive repair costs............this going back to the 80's and 90's. I imagine their list is much longer today. Maybe manufacturers have to be told that much of their product line will be uninsurable or so high that the buying public will think twice...........YES, a threat. Rest assured that mark-up on parts is HUGE and getting larger. Profit is not enough........it has to be record profit.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it's all attitude and not so much about lack of knowledge for the accident thing. A horrible attitude on the road leads people to do real dumb things.
ICBC's problem is that it's run like a big fat arm of the gov
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Wow! Poll went from like 70% for privitization to now under 50% in no time Lol

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204174

I still think in short order ICBC is gonna be political kryptonite.
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Aug 15th, 2017, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Well , this is interesting , albeit somewhat off topic. https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... n-the-road

Can anyone think of any reason an automotive shop owner might be pushing for more vehicle inspections ?

Has anyone else pointed out that the high cost of insurance claims might just have a tiny bit to do with autobody and automotive shops quoting double the actual repair cost if it is an ICBC claim ? My neice was in an accident a year ago , the shop , and ICBC said there was $ 10,000 damage so they wrote the car off. They gave her about 12,000 for the car that she still owed 16,000 on. Truth be told , the car had damage to the plastic front bumper , the plastic grill , the plastic rad support , and 1 headlight. The shop had not even torn the car down to look for possible frame / unibody damage. Realistically , that repair would have cost a cash customer about $2500. Instead , it cost the ratepayer $12,000 , and a hard working young lady a further $ 4000 .
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

gordon_as wrote:Well , this is interesting , albeit somewhat off topic. https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... n-the-road

Can anyone think of any reason an automotive shop owner might be pushing for more vehicle inspections ?

Has anyone else pointed out that the high cost of insurance claims might just have a tiny bit to do with autobody and automotive shops quoting double the actual repair cost if it is an ICBC claim ? My neice was in an accident a year ago , the shop , and ICBC said there was $ 10,000 damage so they wrote the car off. They gave her about 12,000 for the car that she still owed 16,000 on. Truth be told , the car had damage to the plastic front bumper , the plastic grill , the plastic rad support , and 1 headlight. The shop had not even torn the car down to look for possible frame / unibody damage. Realistically , that repair would have cost a cash customer about $2500. Instead , it cost the ratepayer $12,000 , and a hard working young lady a further $ 4000 .

that sounds a little ( a lot) shady! All ICBC accredited shops use a program for estimating. ICBC is into fixing cars, the bodyshops want to fix the car. Something is WAY OFF with that whole scenario.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So the car wasn't road worthily but he went to an insurance place and got plates while concealing this fact?

So did he commit insurance fraud? ]

Also a 1 vehicle test on a intentionally set up failure to prove a point that might create a regulation that sends more money directly to the creator of the one data point survey seems quite self serving to myself.

I've also heard of places doing the "inspection" and finding and replacing, or stating they "must replace" items that are perfectly good.

However there are vehicles poorly maintained that perhaps shouldn't be on the road. Lets start with the concept of vehicles over 15 get a free inspection at 15 (paid by ICBC). Depending on the rating received they get another one (user paid for and documented through sales transfers) in 1/3/5 years depending on condition.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'd be curious to see the stats of vehicles in poor safety condition that contributed to an accident, such as brakes,structure, visibility, steering, modification(lifts), lighting , etc.
*Not tires, transmissions, engines issues as that can change anytime after inspection

Right now it sounds like a scheme, a solution looking for a problem.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I kinda laugh when I see the NDP touters recommending Joy McPhail as a savior.

I also laugh when I see they don't read and understand stuff. Ya, ICBC was top heavy and paying out too much in executive salaries etc. I posted links to what ICBC has been doing and their reports. Executive positions have been substantially reduced and management compensation has been reduced by 46% since 2011.

And ALL has been revealed in the Ernst and Young report.

So the NDP futzing around with audits and "studying" is just more of the same from the 1990s NDP gang of incompetents. Create quango jobs for their buddies, "study" everything to death, and get nothing done.

Why is that? Organizations that change and move ahead to become better and more efficient pretty much all have two commonalities, leadership and management expertise.

The peanut chucking BC NDP has always been short on those two commodities. Real leaders like Dave and Mike get scuttled by the unruly peanut chuckers within their own party - think Jenny Kwan (who has never, ever, managed to come up with a single cogent and cohesive positive proposal in her career). No management experience within their ranks - except maybe running an organic vineyard. No management education within their ranks - you see political science degrees as the dominant educational accomplishment, perhaps advanced into law. That education is perhaps the definition of the underpinning of what a "political hack" is.

So ICBC will change, but only as a result of the Ernst and Young report and management who understand the situation. ICBC won't change because the BC NDP put their retired peanut chucker in chief in a cushy job with a big salary.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Stop it, hob,you're going to injure yourself. Your party lost; get over it. ICBC will survive, no matter how hard your political party tried to destroy it. You'll just have to wait and see the 5 Ws answered, just like the rest of us.

Return to “B.C.”