BC's minimum wage going up....

butcher99
Guru

Re: BC's minimum wage going up....

Post by butcher99 »

Veovis wrote:
butcher99 wrote: Where have the NDP ever taken credit for this.

"I think what we are doing is going with a responsible, fair approach so that the businesses know that it's predictable, it's incremental increases going forward so they can look at their structure, their costs ahead of time and knowing fully well what their costs will be," he said.

right there in the article.

They didn't do it, they said they were.

This from the NDP news release where they say they are going ahead with the Liberal $.50 raise first

" Labour Minister Harry Bains made the announcement Tuesday.

"The 50 cents increase was a commitment made by the previous government that we as the new government will honour and legally implement, thereby creating a stepping stone towards our $15-an-hour goal," said Bains. "
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

JagXKR wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:a that proves is they are taking balanced approach . you be better of seperating right wing of bc from right nazis or ndp is going to be in power a long long time . :smt045

The balanced approach was the Liberals idea, taking credit for it without acknowledging that it was not their idea is abhorrent. Typical NDP though, typical.

In the news release the NDP said and I quote ""The 50 cents increase was a commitment made by the previous government that we as the new government will honour and legally implement, thereby creating a stepping stone towards our $15-an-hour goal," said Bains.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm not qualified to say whether a $15 min wage is appropriate or a good idea.

What I am is surprised to see is that min wage has tripled over the last 20 years and I'm concerned that the rate of increase isn't sustainable. Seems to be far outpacing inflation.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

None of the meagre minimum wage increases over the years has even come close to matching inflation, so why is this one considered to be 'unsustainable'? Campbell kept the minimum wage set at $10 an hour for 10 years, and tight-fisted Christy only raised it a fraction in order to get elected. Why are the BC Liberals so intent on keeping people from being able to go out and buy the bare necessities of life, much less small luxuries such as a new pair of shoes?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm not qualified to say whether a $15 min wage is appropriate or a good idea.

What I am is surprised to see is that min wage has tripled over the last 20 years and I'm concerned that the rate of increase isn't sustainable. Seems to be far outpacing inflation.

20 Years ago, renting a basement suite was around $400 (exactly what I paid). I just scanned the classifieds, and I would believe someone if they stated rent has tripled. A 3br, 2.5 bath townhouse I rented was $800 in 1998, let's take a look, shall we? ...........yep, I'm back from the classifieds, almost tripled there too.

I remember when a loaf of bread was $0.99. How much is it now?

For any beleaguered employers, how about they take the same advice people seem very free to give to the employees: Cut back on discretionary, personal/recreational spending.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm not qualified to say whether a $15 min wage is appropriate or a good idea.

Tripled in the last 20 years? In 1997 the min wage was $7. it is now $11. How is that tripling?
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

lasnomadas wrote:None of the meagre minimum wage increases over the years has even come close to matching inflation, so why is this one considered to be 'unsustainable'? Campbell kept the minimum wage set at $10 an hour for 10 years, and tight-fisted Christy only raised it a fraction in order to get elected. Why are the BC Liberals so intent on keeping people from being able to go out and buy the bare necessities of life, much less small luxuries such as a new pair of shoes?

I am in favor of raising the minimum wage but quick calculations on my part have found that basically minimum wage has kept up with inflation.
Prove me wrong. Bank of Canada inflation calculator says that $8. in 2007 is $9.32 in todays dollar. Yes in 2007 the rate in BC was $8.
http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wid/sm-mw/rpt4.aspx
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/relate ... alculator/
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

It has little to do with keeping up with inflation, it has to do with groups of people simply wanting more and more and doing less and less, or even better groups that just think other people deserve more of your money....not theirs, they don't offer their money, but are more than happy to offer other peoples.....you know, because they are so noble.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Veovis wrote:It has little to do with keeping up with inflation, it has to do with groups of people simply wanting more and more and doing less and less, or even better groups that just think other people deserve more of your money....not theirs, they don't offer their money, but are more than happy to offer other peoples.....you know, because they are so noble.

Stupid stereotypes like this don't help. When a house costs 1.2 million dollars, whats an extra $80 a month to a bunch of poor people?

If you can't afford to pay fair wages you can't afford to be in business. This BS about profit margins being to tight to pay people an extra .50 an hour is horsepoop. Its greed plain and simple. More for them means less for me.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Veovis wrote:It has little to do with keeping up with inflation, it has to do with groups of people simply wanting more and more and doing less and less, or even better groups that just think other people deserve more of your money....not theirs, they don't offer their money, but are more than happy to offer other peoples.....you know, because they are so noble.

so, I take it you are happy with the $11. an hour you make?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'll go out on a limb and guess Veovis makes more than $11/hour, just sayin'. :D

I was talking to yet another young(er) person today who is paying $1250/mon rent and her landlord wants $1450/mon.

In nine days she's leaving Kelowna for somewhere to work (lined it up already) and getting out of broke-O-nagan. Another excellent worker, gone.

And she is making much more than the paltry $11/boot-jack to the throat/hr.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Just get to 15/hr... have businesses close there doors and have other that do stick around close around 3pm....that how you service the population. Dont forget....there will be always lineups because well not enough money to staff.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I've made min wage in my life but never was I cool enough to think that the reason I couldn't afford a 1.2 million dollar house was because min wage was too low........I just stopped making min wage.

If you are 40 years old and still at min wage, buying a house is far far far down the list of things you need to focus on.

And if people are so jealous, be the employer then. Or at the least take some finance classes to see the real cost of increases not just your imagined version.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Veovis wrote:I just stopped making min wage.

Great. What about people who have never been able to do this despite hard work?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Veovis wrote:It has little to do with keeping up with inflation, it has to do with groups of people simply wanting more and more and doing less and less

Sure it does. Been to a fast food restaurant lately and seen the workers there rushing their butts off to make hamburgers in 10 seconds? So lazy.

Return to “B.C.”