BC's minimum wage going up....

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: BC's minimum wage going up....

Post by Omnitheo »

Sparki55 wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:
Also the automation at mcdonalds started long ago. 15 years or so ago, when I worked there making 6.50$/hour (bc training wage), working up to 500 hours at that rate to move to $8 an hour, Mcdonalds showed us a video where they were trialling the exact order boards you see in locations today. so little to do with 11/hour or 15/hour. Automation is going to occur either way regardless of wages, so it's a moot point in this discussion.

That's funny, because I worked at McDonald's, but started 9 years ago. There was no video like your post states.

I also started at the training wage but after 150 hours I convinced the store manager to bump me up and she did after an agreed upon 200 hours. I went on to be promoted all the way to team leader in 3 years and was making around what the recent minimum wage increase was, just over $11 an hour.

I quit after taking on a labor job to pay for school and made more money. The store manager was a little upset and offered a late night supervisor job and a raise to keep me on but it wasn't enough.

Hard work pays. Don't ask for handouts and a living wage, go work your :cuss: off for it and good things will come. If they don't at your current job, move on to somewhere with someone who will respect and reward your 120% effort and attitude. If you aren't worth more than minimum wage and can be replaced instantly then there is no incentive to give a raise to keep you around. I don't promote subsidizing the lazy worker.

Mcdonalds rented out famous players to host a region wide "staff party" where they showed us the video. And maybe things changed since I was there, but don't assume I didn't work hard either. I was scheduled 3 hours a week. And only climbed to 500 by taking on everyone's shifts. By taking my 5-8 afterschool shifts and staying until 2am every night (when I had school the next day) I was team leader in under 2 years, and training managers before I was finished. And I did all this for a grand total of 9.76 before I left. partly due to labour criticisms where workers rights were being violated. Don't assume people aren't hard working.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:METRO ANNOUNCES AUTOMATION AS RESULT OF MINIMUM WAGE SPIKE

Posted by Breaking News | Aug 18, 2017 | Breaking News, Business, Canadian News
Metro Announces Automation as result of Minimum Wage Spike

Ontario’s third-largest grocery chain will accelerate its study of automation as it looks to cut the expected $50 million dollars costs of the provincial government’s plan to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. This cost does not include the expected salary costs of increasing the salaries of other positions to compensate them for their experience and time spent at the firm.

The CEO explained that the industry is under heavy pressure and given very little time to adjust given both competition in the market and the rapid speed of wage increases.

STARK LABOUR COSTS

snip

Metro is not the only firm expected to actively work to offset costs, nor is it the firm facing the largest.

CORPORATE RESPONSE
Firms like Loblaw and Walmart will be expected to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in new wages. Although this could mean billions more in local economies and could allow for more business to grow it is likely that large firms will reduce their workforce first.

An economic analysis commissioned by the Keep Ontario Working Coalition found that 185,000 jobs could be at risk as Ontario businesses stand to take a $23-billion hit within two years of the implementation of Bill 148.

http://thepostmillennial.com/metro-anno ... age-spike/
they were going to do it anyways unless people agreed to be paid slaves . all metro has done is expose themselves as right slave drivers . they hung themselves like sears did because of greed . that isnt a win its a sad reflection that capatilist greed will not be tolerated in canada . people have right to make profits but not at same terms as slavery
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Gone_Fishin wrote:METRO ANNOUNCES AUTOMATION AS RESULT OF MINIMUM WAGE SPIKE

Posted by Breaking News | Aug 18, 2017 | Breaking News, Business, Canadian News
Metro Announces Automation as result of Minimum Wage Spike

Ontario’s third-largest grocery chain will accelerate its study of automation as it looks to cut the expected $50 million dollars costs of the provincial government’s plan to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. This cost does not include the expected salary costs of increasing the salaries of other positions to compensate them for their experience and time spent at the firm.

The CEO explained that the industry is under heavy pressure and given very little time to adjust given both competition in the market and the rapid speed of wage increases.

STARK LABOUR COSTS

snip

Metro is not the only firm expected to actively work to offset costs, nor is it the firm facing the largest.

CORPORATE RESPONSE
Firms like Loblaw and Walmart will be expected to pay hundreds of millions if not billions in new wages. Although this could mean billions more in local economies and could allow for more business to grow it is likely that large firms will reduce their workforce first.

An economic analysis commissioned by the Keep Ontario Working Coalition found that 185,000 jobs could be at risk as Ontario businesses stand to take a $23-billion hit within two years of the implementation of Bill 148.

http://thepostmillennial.com/metro-anno ... age-spike/

Eric La Flèche
CEO Metro
$3,691,442

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3907662

The compensation of Canada's highest-paid CEOs jumped seven per cent between 2014 and 2015, to a record high average of $9.5 million, according to a new study.

The 100 richest CEOs in Canada took in an average of $9.5 million in 2015, a figure that includes salaries, bonuses, share grants and stock options, the report said.

That's well ahead of the $49,510 the group says the typical full-year, full-time worker earned in 2015.

Based on 2015 earnings, Canada's 100 top CEOs will earn by 11:47 a.m. today what the average Canadian will make in a whole year.

"Thirty years ago they managed to scrape by on 40 times what the average person is paid, and now, it's 193 times."

Between 2008 and 2015, the country's 100 top-paid CEOs saw their compensation climb about 30 per cent, while the average wage for Canadians increased by just 17.5 per cent.

These companies have no problem paying their top paid members more money, but as soon as the people on the bottom of the pyramid they sit atop ask for a better living wage it's suddenly the end of the world.

The wealthy conspire to keep the rest poor. And the money they make by "downsizing to drop costs" almost always goes directly to the CEOs.

That can be said for minimum wage companies anyways.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Sparki55 wrote:Hard work pays. Don't ask for handouts and a living wage, go work your :cuss: off for it and good things will come.

It's weird how fervently people believe this fairy tale.

Sparki55 wrote:If they don't at your current job, move on to somewhere with someone who will respect and reward your 120% effort and attitude.

Another fairy tale. It's impossible to know whether a manager will keep his word or not. I was promised $12/h at a landscaping job once and the guy ended up paying me minimum wage along with some line like "what are you going to do about it?' I know, i NOW, i must have been lazy, right? I know that's the narrative here.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:Hard work pays. Don't ask for handouts and a living wage, go work your :cuss: off for it and good things will come.

It's weird how fervently people believe this fairy tale.

Sparki55 wrote:If they don't at your current job, move on to somewhere with someone who will respect and reward your 120% effort and attitude.

Another fairy tale. It's impossible to know whether a manager will keep his word or not. I was promised $12/h at a landscaping job once and the guy ended up paying me minimum wage along with some line like "what are you going to do about it?' I know, i NOW, i must have been lazy, right? I know that's the narrative here.

Hmm, must be pure luck for me to have the job I have today.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

How is the second part a fairy tale? Clearly said if they don't then move on. Did you move on from the low life employer that broke a promise? If you didn't then who is the problem, the lying employer or the employee that just takes it? Landscaping has always had a need for employees that work hard. Call another one and check if they need someone that works hard.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
kevin62

Post by kevin62 »

Congratulations to the NDP,for figuring out the fastest way for inflation to go up and our buying power to go down. If people think that business owners are just going to take it on the chin and keep prices the same, they are living in a dream world. First of all that increase is not going to help because people earning minimum aren't going to be able to buy more because things will be more(no brainer); second those of us that have finally worked hard enough to earn $20/hr will be reduced to earning the equivalency of $15/hr, because we won't be getting a raise and again what we do make will buy less. What needs to be addressed are: 1) minimum wage jobs are entry level jobs not career jobs(for young people entering the work force and people starting out in a company);2)laws need to address proper wage increases as people grow in skills and productivity for the company;3)rents should not be more than half of your monthly income; and 4) stop the price gouging from stores and gas stations. Look through the decades and see what people made and how much it cost them for things and you will see that the ratio is way higher now than it ever was. Money doesn't make the world go around, but our greed for it will bring our world to a grinding halt. If you want to make more than minimum wage ,do what millions of people before you had to do, work hard, learn and apply for better positions. Most of us didn't get it handed to us on a silver platter why should you?

Return to “B.C.”