BC's minimum wage going up....

slootman
Übergod

Re: BC's minimum wage going up....

Post by slootman »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Veovis wrote:I just stopped making min wage.

Great. What about people who have never been able to do this despite hard work?

This was answered in the last post.
buying a house is far far far down the list of things you need to focus on.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Veovis wrote:I just stopped making min wage.

Great. What about people who have never been able to do this despite hard work?

Most people go back to school for an up grade in skills training. Are you going back to school any day soon? :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

It's very strange that in the past 10 or so years, when minimum wage was frozen, I seem to recall that somehow prices to the consumer kept going up and up. Obviously it was not due to raising minimum wage.
Chill
Sammygirl1

Post by Sammygirl1 »

Yeah, $15 an hr for minimum wage sounds good....but the higher the wages go, the less available hours to work. Many companies are barely making it now. So, if they cut hours, you might be making more $$$, but you also have to do the work of the person they let go. That = MORE STRESS! (because there aren’t enough available hours for everyone.) Also, minimum wage wasn't intended to PAY you for your whole life....it was to get you started in the work force. So, figure out what you really want to do for a career. Get your education or training, and GO FOR IT!! :up:
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Queen K wrote:Most people go back to school for an up grade in skills training. Are you going back to school any day soon? :D

No, I'm not. I think you mean some people who can somehow afford to go take courses upgrade their skills. Others simply can't afford the time and money to do this. Some are able to get a loan but then with gigantic loan payments are no better off than they were before. The lack of caring about people who work for minimum wage is quite appalling.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I guess it's also strange that over the past 10 years the vast majority of those in the work force managed to increase their income. And yes it's obviously not due to raising minimum wage.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Queen K wrote:Most people go back to school for an up grade in skills training. Are you going back to school any day soon? :D

No, I'm not. I think you mean some people who can somehow afford to go take courses upgrade their skills. Others simply can't afford the time and money to do this. Some are able to get a loan but then with gigantic loan payments are no better off than they were before. The lack of caring about people who work for minimum wage is quite appalling.

I am as flummoxed about the Catch-22 edcuation/income trap as anyone else would be.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

butcher99 wrote:
lasnomadas wrote:None of the meagre minimum wage increases over the years has even come close to matching inflation, so why is this one considered to be 'unsustainable'? Campbell kept the minimum wage set at $10 an hour for 10 years, and tight-fisted Christy only raised it a fraction in order to get elected. Why are the BC Liberals so intent on keeping people from being able to go out and buy the bare necessities of life, much less small luxuries such as a new pair of shoes?

I am in favor of raising the minimum wage but quick calculations on my part have found that basically minimum wage has kept up with inflation.
Prove me wrong. Bank of Canada inflation calculator says that $8. in 2007 is $9.32 in todays dollar. Yes in 2007 the rate in BC was $8.
http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wid/sm-mw/rpt4.aspx
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/relate ... alculator/

The BOC calculator is based on the CPI. The CPI was mucked with politicians to make them look better back when 7-8% inflation was a big time political issue. The way the CPI works now it doesn't care that you were forced to substitute cat food for steak over the years, it now treats cat food as your meat purchase. There was a section, you had to look for it, within the StatsCan methodology explanation that clearly said that the CPI was NOT a measure of the cost of living.

Really, what actually seems a better marker are the fair wage calculations, which is where the $15 came from. http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/shared-values/minimum-wage-vs-living-wage-how-ontarios-cities-stack-up

I am actually a believer that businesses can adjust in most cases. And that BC should move to $15 as fast as feasible.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Symbonite wrote:Just get to 15/hr... have businesses close there doors and have other that do stick around close around 3pm....that how you service the population. Dont forget....there will be always lineups because well not enough money to staff.

The wise move would be to cut back on discretionary, personal/recreational spending and leave more money in their business with which to operate it. You can bet that's what they tell employees to do when wage increases are withheld.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Symbonite wrote:Just get to 15/hr... have businesses close there doors and have other that do stick around close around 3pm....that how you service the population. Dont forget....there will be always lineups because well not enough money to staff.

If the rate went to $15 timorrow in one fell swoop I would agree with you. However it will be set out in yearly increases that business will be able to plan around.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 17th, 2017, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bnoel
Fledgling

Post by Bnoel »

It will cause a wage increase across the board. The government is trying to create inflation so they can raise interest rates.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Bnoel wrote:It will cause a wage increase across the board. The government is trying to create inflation so they can raise interest rates.

A 50 cent wage increase for a small business. lets say two employees at full time. 80 hours times 50 cents. $40. a week. If your small business cannot take that hit you are in trouble. Or, you could increase the price of what you sell by an average of about a penny each and probably still make money.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

butcher99 wrote:

If the rate went to $15 timorrow in one fell swoop I would agree with you. However it will be set out in yearly increases that business will be able to plan around.

Businesses have known about this 50 cent raise for a long time as well. They should have put plans in place a long time ago.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

Bnoel wrote:I believe the minimum wage hike will prove to be productive. It is going to force businesses to raise their prices, creating the inflation needed to justify hiking interest rates. Without an increase in income, today's debt load will be a drag on the economy. We need inflation to lower today's debt burden.

I agree. Also the increased tax revenue in GST PST and income tax. Now fix MSP to be implemented with income tax
:)

Return to “B.C.”