Drive S.M.A.R.T. Quiz

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Drive S.M.A.R.T. Quiz

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/drive-s ... fault.aspx

Take the test see how you rate. I scored 100%. It actually makes you think a little.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Drive S.M.A.R.T. Quiz

Post by jimmy4321 »

I got 100% but the last question almost tripped me about the causes of people losing their cool Lol
Actually that site got some interesting stuff to read.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The bus one caught me out... I envisioned a school bus on a rural highway. Are there kids on the other side of the bus who might try to cross in front of me???

Otherwise, the rest of the test is really just common sense.
Chill
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

You’re second in line at an intersection waiting to make a left-hand turn. You…
Your Answer
only go when the left-turn arrow is on.
Correct Answer
move into the intersection once it’s clear and turn when it’s safe to do so

this is BS ;; legally u can only turn left when the green arrow indicates moving into a intersection and turning left on a Yellow is dangerous and a red is not legal
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

don -

there are many intersections that do not have a dedicated left turn arrow. In that instance, you proceed into the intersection with your left turn signal on, wait for oncoming traffic to clear and make your left hand turn. It may happen that you my have to clear the intersection on an early change to a yellow light.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I only missed the school bus question but will continue to yield to a school bus driver wanting to pull out no matter what the speed. It seems like the prudent thing to do.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

flamingfingers wrote:don -

there are many intersections that do not have a dedicated left turn arrow. In that instance, you proceed into the intersection with your left turn signal on, wait for oncoming traffic to clear and make your left hand turn. It may happen that you my have to clear the intersection on an early change to a yellow light.

In some cases, you may have to clear the intersection on a red.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Total bragging rights.

Bow down! When it comes to driving, you are one smooth operator - cool, calm and collected. You understand that we all have a part to play and impressively navigate the roads accordingly. But can you put this enviable knowledge into practice in the real world? Read on to see how you can hone your skills.
Knowledge
Your driving knowledge is admirable! With great wisdom however, comes great responsibility. You may know the rules of the road, but others might not. Be sure to always stay alert and avoid falling into autopilot.

Behaviour
Keep up the good work! Your courteous and patient driving habits make the road a better place. Of course, not all drivers are at ease behind the wheel, so remember to keep an eye out and stay attentive.

Attitude
Your driving mindset is pretty impressive. You know your role on the road, and understand that driving should be treated with respect. But can you take this admirable attitude and put it into action? Remember, your behaviour behind the wheel is just as important in keeping our roads safe.

Sure, on paper - but none of us are as perfect as we know we should be when we are actually behind the wheel. Especially the scenario when someone steals our parking spot at the grocery store example.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Dizzy1 wrote:
    Sure, on paper - but none of us are as perfect as we know we should be when we are actually behind the wheel. Especially the scenario when someone steals our parking spot at the grocery store example.
For sure! Surveys show that most people see themselves as better than average drivers. Hmmm . . .

The Drive S.M.A.R.T. quiz was well worth taking and for those who want an additional challenge go to the ICBC site and take one or more of the practice tests:

http://practicetest.icbc.com/#/
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Dizzy1 wrote:Sure, on paper - but none of us are as perfect as we know we should be when we are actually behind the wheel. Especially the scenario when someone steals our parking spot at the grocery store example.

Pretty much. I would think most people would get 100% on the test. More because they know the right answer, not because they are actually doing those things lol.

As Urbane mentioned, I think doing the practice tests would prove alot more challenging for some drivers.
hail Satan y'all
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I like these practice tests.
If you've been driving for many years you got nothing to lose to try them as often as needed.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:don -

In some cases, you may have to clear the intersection on a red.

However, you are breaking the law if you enter the intersection on the amber if it turned when you were stopped behind the crosswalk. That is a ongoing error many here make as the don't want to wait for another light cycle.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ken7 wrote:
However, you are breaking the law if you enter the intersection on the amber if it turned when you were stopped behind the crosswalk. That is a ongoing error many here make as the don't want to wait for another light cycle.

Honestly, I wouldn't call it an error - I'm guilty of that at times, I won't hide it - but seeing I know I shouldn't - its intentional, so not really an error :1422:

Add to that, there should also only be one left turn vehicle in the intersection at a time.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't call it an error - I'm guilty of that at times, I won't hide it - but seeing I know I shouldn't - its intentional, so not really an error :1422:

Add to that, there should also only be one left turn vehicle in the intersection at a time.

Not necessarily, if you are on the crosswalk, you can safely clear the intersection on a amber. Sadly, we have too many intersection accidents. I don't think I have to tell you why.

I once paused for two seconds on a green light as I wasn't sure if I was going straight or making a right. A Waste Management truck went through the intersection at no less the 75 kms a hour. I chased it down and we were doing 100 kms on Glenmore. I reported him to Police.

IF I had of gone straight on my green light, I wouldn't be here today as he would have put his bumper through my truck killing me. People need to wake up, even though there is poor enforcement here, lights are there for your safety as are stop signs etc. What part of stop do people not get, bad habits are hard to change.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Ken7 wrote:Not necessarily, if you are on the crosswalk, you can safely clear the intersection on a amber. Sadly, we have too many intersection accidents. I don't think I have to tell you why.

If you are on the crosswalk and then car in front of you hasn't cleared the intersection then you are in the wrong ... crossing that "stop line" is when you are considered in the intersection ... which according to the rules you shouldn't be doing if the vehicle in front hasn't cleared ...

But this is just arguing the details ... plenty of us have played loose with these rules as we impatiently try to get somewhere ... we're just glad that it didn't result in the wrong outcome, though sometimes it does ... sometimes my front wheel is edging into the crosswalk as I balance on my bike waiting for the vehicle in front ... I'm glad that usually the person behind me hasn't gotten to close and I can roll back if the light turns before I have a chance to fully take my place in the intersection ...

Return to “B.C.”