Drive S.M.A.R.T. Quiz

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Drive S.M.A.R.T. Quiz

Post by rustled »

^^Isn't the stop line before the crosswalk? If you're in the crosswalk, you've already crossed that line. Last driving instructor I had (Class 1) explained there's time for two vehicles to clear on the amber, which is why oncoming traffic is to stop (instead of speeding up!) when their light goes amber before they've entered the intersection. Perhaps he was incorrect in encouraging his students to enter the intersection if you're the second vehicle waiting to turn left on the green, but his explanation seemed sensible to me. One can imagine the gridlock if we only cleared one left-turning vehicle per amber.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

spooker wrote:
Ken7 wrote:Not necessarily, if you are on the crosswalk, you can safely clear the intersection on a amber. Sadly, we have too many intersection accidents. I don't think I have to tell you why.

If you are on the crosswalk and then car in front of you hasn't cleared the intersection then you are in the wrong ... crossing that "stop line" is when you are considered in the intersection ... which according to the rules you shouldn't be doing if the vehicle in front hasn't cleared ...

But this is just arguing the details ... plenty of us have played loose with these rules as we impatiently try to get somewhere ... we're just glad that it didn't result in the wrong outcome, though sometimes it does ... sometimes my front wheel is edging into the crosswalk as I balance on my bike waiting for the vehicle in front ... I'm glad that usually the person behind me hasn't gotten to close and I can roll back if the light turns before I have a chance to fully take my place in the intersection ...

I have to disagree with you. If you are stopped on a crosswalk you are now considered to be in the intersection. It is your duty to clear the intersection safely and therefore you can do so on the amber light. Those approaching the amber from the opposite direction should by law be stopping if they have a reasonable distance to do so.

You will never be convicted of this UNLESS, you are behind the stop line and pull a quick one trying to make it through on the amber.

I will tell you, I have convicted many who try this. Read the section on amber lights.

This is a link also from BC Drive smart on the topic.

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersection ... left-turns
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

rustled wrote:^^Isn't the stop line before the crosswalk? If you're in the crosswalk, you've already crossed that line. Last driving instructor I had (Class 1) explained there's time for two vehicles to clear on the amber, which is why oncoming traffic is to stop (instead of speeding up!) when their light goes amber before they've entered the intersection. Perhaps he was incorrect in encouraging his students to enter the intersection if you're the second vehicle waiting to turn left on the green, but his explanation seemed sensible to me. One can imagine the gridlock if we only cleared one left-turning vehicle per amber.

What you are saying is correct. The vehicle in front of you makes you #2. You at the time would likely be on the crosswalk. It is your duty to clear safely, and as Drive smart BC even suggests wait till the red. Myself, if you watch the oncoming traffic you usually can tell they are stopping or stopped and it is safe to proceed on the left turn.

I always want to ensure the oncomming curb lane doesn't have a jacka$$ trying to run the amber as you may not see him three cars back flooring it.

Return to “B.C.”