Get them out of our OCEAN!!!

Re: Get them out of our OCEAN!!!

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Thanks, ff, there's a lot to digest there. Looks like Horgan and his Ministers must get together with Trudeau and his Ministers to get the ball rolling. The latest news release was back in March of 2008. I didn't find anything on the First Nations conference with Horgan. I thought it was to be held last weekend. However, I've been so busy what with family arriving for a memorial service, I may have missed it.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Liked in: 279 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 16th, 2017, 7:19 am

The latest headline "Sooke to ban fish farms" really grabbed my interest until I got to the last line of the article. It's great that they're trying to ban fish farms, but if they have no jurisdiction over net-pen farms, what's the point? I thought we were trying to get those filthy things out of the water and onto land.

I think that every town or village up and down the coast that have net pen farms in their vicinity should be lobbying the government to get those things out of the water. They're not only a danger to our wild salmon, but they also kill every living thing on the ocean floor beneath them.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Postby twobits » Sep 17th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Cactusflower wrote:The latest headline "Sooke to ban fish farms" really grabbed my interest until I got to the last line of the article. It's great that they're trying to ban fish farms, but if they have no jurisdiction over net-pen farms, what's the point? I thought we were trying to get those filthy things out of the water and onto land.

I think that every town or village up and down the coast that have net pen farms in their vicinity should be lobbying the government to get those things out of the water. They're not only a danger to our wild salmon, but they also kill every living thing on the ocean floor beneath them.

Or lord, is that your level of comprehension? Sooke's banning of fish farms is a zoning bylaw that would only ban land based fish farming as they have no ocean jurisdiction. And if I recall correctly, you have suggested land based aquaculture as an alternative to ocean net farming. And BTW, a method that is being utilized and promoted by FN Bands as the way of the future sharing their research with anyone that wants it.
Your post is just so typical of an NDP supporter. Horribly uninformed and beating a drum without fact or knowledge. You don't even realize you are supporting a motion that undermines some awesome FN research and development. That's just plain stupid.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 2091 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 17th, 2017, 5:13 pm

twobits -

I think you are demonstrating typical BC Lib ideology - that Sooke 'should' acquiesce to moving the fish farms that are in their proximity to THEIR land. Sooke doesn't seem to want that. They are simply expressing the community's wish to get the damn fish pens out of the waters around THEIR community - that they didn't want in the first place but had no voice in permitting.

I agree with Cactus that communities up and down every coast in BC where open net fish farms are located should make their voices heard - loud and CLEAR - that these dirty fish farms need to be relocated - OUT OF OUR OCEAN!!!
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

Cactusflower likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5693 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 20th, 2017, 8:12 am

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2498 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 25th, 2017, 8:44 pm

There has been an outpouring of concern from groups, including First Nations, sports fisheries and fishermen about the low year.”

While some blaming the warming oceans, Smith said a number of factors have contributed to a decline in salmon stocks, such as disease, “the battle between wild and farmed salmon,” and the amount of fish that is caught.

While about 3,800 eggs are fertilized in the Adams River, he said only about 900 salmon make their way back to the Pacific Ocean.

“That's why we're in such a decline. It's not just an oceans issue....These little creatures that grow up in amongst our rocks and river beds, they travel thousand of kilometres and anything we can do to help them should be done.”

He said that included maintaining healthy riparian areas and even some shade for them to swim in.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Salmon-Ar ... the-salmon

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 26th, 2017, 9:19 am

Thanks for keeping this up front and centre, mj. After reading today's story about the young Orca dying of malnutrition due to lack its main food source, Chinook salmon, surely the government will begin to sit up and take notice of the damage being done to our wild salmon by the Atlantic salmon farms.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Postby Catsumi » Sep 26th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Another concern that has not been mentioned yet is the fallout from our mother of a summer (fires) is the degradation of salmon streams being severely polluted with ash, debris and the coming runoff of rains and melting snow. The trees, shrubbery, grasses that normally line stream beds are now gone.

A fellow who has written a new book called "Firestorm" (a cbc radio interview) said that our upper streams are a mess now and we should expect a significant decline in the viability of fish eggs from the devasation.

He also said that filtering systems for city drinking water in Ft Mac area is overwhelmed by the filth and it should be no surprise to those city dwellers living downstreams on BC rivers to have major problems too. Upper streams act as a pre-filtering method for lower stream cleanliness.

Between the fires and human caused degradation of watersheds, I hold little hope out for the salmon in the future.

Fish farms, much as I detest them, may be our only way to eat salmon in the future. I personally will not purchase the grotty stuff. But what happens to the bears, eagles, otters, and ecosystems that depend heavily on fish bodies? Answer: they starve or learn to live on old car tires and trash that we insist on throwing into our watersheds.
:swear:
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.

Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 316 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 28th, 2017, 3:22 pm

The future of our wild salmon is back in the news today. Apparently, plans to implement a new wild salmon policy are in the works, and officials say consultations with First Nations and the public are expected to take place this fall. I hope those plans include getting those Atlantic salmon sea pen farms out of our coastal waters.

flamingfingers likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Postby Catsumi » Sep 28th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Aaah! Yes!

We all know where consultations, studies, meetings and general bafflegabs lead us, don't we?

Either nothing will be done or action delayed so long that saving our salmon from the scourge of fishfarms (aka as pigpens) will be a moot point.

Does anyone here remember the fiasco with the cod fishery eoisode? I do.

We should expect a replay of that circus in the coming days or years...or decades.

:-X
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.

Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 316 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 28th, 2017, 5:29 pm

We need to do anything and everything to enhance our wild salmon stocks.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 28th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Catsumi wrote:Aaah! Yes!

We all know where consultations, studies, meetings and general bafflegabs lead us, don't we?

Either nothing will be done or action delayed so long that saving our salmon from the scourge of fishfarms (aka as pigpens) will be a moot point.

Does anyone here remember the fiasco with the cod fishery eoisode? I do.

We should expect a replay of that circus in the coming days or years...or decades.

:-X

Yes, you're right, and that's why we can't let them get away with it anymore. We have to be relentless with our e-mails, phone calls, petitions, and protests. And like FF said, we must do anything and everything to enhance our wild salmon stocks.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Postby maryjane48 » Oct 19th, 2017, 3:53 pm

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Oct 19th, 2017, 4:42 pm

So much for Atlantic salmon not being able to live free in BC waters:

STRAIGHT TALK
Atlantic salmon caught in B.C.'s Harrison River
by Charlie Smith on October 19th, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Atlantic salmon have black spots on their gill covers, as well as black x-shaped spots above their lateral line and no spots on their tail.

The Aggasiz-Harrison Observer has reported that a member of this species was brought in by sports fisher Don Temple on the Harrison River on October 8.

The newspaper noted that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has concluded that this Atlantic salmon likely escaped from an aquaculture operation.

https://www.straight.com/news/983851/at ... ison-river

Get these damn fish farms out of our ocean!!

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Oct 19th, 2017, 7:54 pm

flamingfingers wrote:So much for Atlantic salmon not being able to live free in BC waters:

STRAIGHT TALK
Atlantic salmon caught in B.C.'s Harrison River
by Charlie Smith on October 19th, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Atlantic salmon have black spots on their gill covers, as well as black x-shaped spots above their lateral line and no spots on their tail.

The Aggasiz-Harrison Observer has reported that a member of this species was brought in by sports fisher Don Temple on the Harrison River on October 8.

The newspaper noted that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has concluded that this Atlantic salmon likely escaped from an aquaculture operation.

https://www.straight.com/news/983851/at ... ison-river

Get these damn fish farms out of our ocean!!

Amen to that! Did you watch Question Period today? The jackals on the opposition benches were in rare form today, screaming and howling so loud that even the Speaker couldn't make himself heard above the din. They're afraid the NDP is going to shut down their sea-pen Atlantic salmon farming donors. Horgan just shrugged and said that British Columbians elected a government that would protect their wild salmon, and that's what they are going to do.

2 people like this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.