Get them out of our OCEAN!!!

Re: Get them out of our OCEAN!!!

Postby rustled » Sep 6th, 2017, 10:07 am

:topic:
seewood wrote:This thread has gotten political...again.. I'm thinking most here would like to see the fish farms go to closed systems much like they have in Europe as the open nets had a detrimental affect on their wild salmon.

Now, how to make it important to the powers that can make that change? Does BC have to have their own mass escape? BC has had minor escapes compared to the recent one in WA but the news cycle lasts a day or so.

Pointed questions to the ministers responsible and make their answers last a bit longer in the news cycles.

Open net salmon farms are not a benefit to our coast.

They're not likely to be of benefit to our coast, but I've dug a little and it seems they're not particularly detrimental, either. It's difficult to cut through the over-the-top politically motivated fearmongering, but as best I can tell there has been a lot of caution, and a lot of monitoring, and in balance the risks actually seem pretty minimal. Closed, land-based systems present their own problems.

This should be decided on actual merit/risk assessment, not in the hyper-charged arena of political activism.

seewood likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby LordEd » Sep 6th, 2017, 11:13 am

Queen K wrote:Can we see what happens next week with that?
Oh I'm sure the media will be all over the throne speech like drug addled squirrels.

Rwede likes this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1838 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 6th, 2017, 3:31 pm

LordEd wrote:
Queen K wrote:Can we see what happens next week with that?
Oh I'm sure the media will be all over the throne speech like drug addled squirrels.

If they aren't, I'll send you free kittens rescued from Premier Horgan's kitchen.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

gman313 likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9408 posts

Postby Rwede » Sep 6th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Off Topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 6th, 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4906 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 6th, 2017, 4:03 pm

I'll send you a genetically modified deep fried Atlantic Salmon burger if you will make constructive suggestions towards solving the problems with sharing the Pacific salmon farming issues with the Americans.
Last edited by Queen K on Sep 6th, 2017, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9408 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 6th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Response to deleted post.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 6th, 2017, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure why I bother with a signature as it seems to just randomly disappear on a regular basis. Especially if it offends liberal snowflakes.
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 11013 posts

Postby LordEd » Sep 6th, 2017, 4:14 pm

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 6th, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1838 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 7th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Skip to main content
Skip to CBC accessibility page
CBC.CAMENU
Open news menu
"
First Nations leaders rally in solidarity with salmon farm occupation
Document urging the province to move fish farms in-land to be delivered to Premier John Horgan

Photo of Jon Hernandez
New
Jon Hernandez · Digital Associate Producer · CBC News
21 Minutes Ago
Willie Moon
Chief Willie Moon has occupied salmon farms in the past, and says the Musgamagw Dzawda'enuxw is prepared to do whatever it takes to close fish farms along the coast. (Jon Hernandez/CBC)
0 shares
Dozens of Indigenous leaders and protestors rallied outside the Vancouver Convention Centre today urging the province to dismantle salmon farms along the B.C. coast.

The calls came as environmentalists and members of the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw and the Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwamis First Nations occupy two Marine Harvest Canada salmon farms in their territorial waters.

documents delivered to mr horgan :130:

Queen K likes this post.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2485 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 13th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Weaver brought the salmon farming issue up in the Leg today and Popham explained the province's role in conjunction with the federal role, explaining she had been in contact with FN, DFO and others about these concerns. She stated the government's commitment to the Cohen report.

Hopefully the Feds will apply interest in getting these messy things out of our oceans!
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5672 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm

yes lets hope so . also i would like to see our fish managed in conjunction with first nations .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2485 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I hope this issue stays front and centre in the Leg during this session. The federal and our previous provincial government have been ignoring this far too long. Donations from the BC Salmon Farmers Association should not determine how many sea-pen salmon farm permits are issued.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Liked in: 248 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I hope this issue stays front and centre in the Leg during this session. The federal and our previous provincial government have been ignoring this far too long. Donations from the BC Salmon Farmers Association should not determine how many sea-pen salmon farm permits are issued.

What do you make of them donating to the NDP? Did that result in fewer permits?
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:14 pm

^^The province does not issue permits. Only the feds do. BC can choose (or not) to renew their tenures. Popham said in the Leg today there are no tenures up for renewal now.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:24 pm

So in other words, the NDP's hands are tied unless the Feds stop issuing the permits. I guess I'll have to ask Mr. Google how often these tenures come up for renewal. Seems that government red tape will ensure that our wild Pacific salmon will continue to be infected with parasites and disease from the these filthy pens for quite some time.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Liked in: 248 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:29 pm

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.