How native kids were treated

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

How native kids were treated

Post by maryjane48 »

A former school administrator in B.C. has been reprimanded for tying two students together at the ankles to try to get them to get along, subsequently triggering memories of residential schools.

According to the B.C. Commisioner for Teacher Regulation, Cheryl Louise Lloyd was consulted by a primary teacher in May of 2015 at an unnamed independent school about two Grade 2 boys who were struggling to get along – in some cases using inappropriate physical contact.

She spoke to the students’ parent and caregiver, who agreed with the plan. She then told the boys they would be tied “loosely” together with a strip of a T-shirt for the day of May 14, having to use their words to work together.

Lloyd checked on the two students a number of times during the day, according to documents.

They could untie themselves when one needed to use the washrooms, but had to remain tied together at lunch hour.

According to media reports, the commissioner actually examined this case earlier this year, and ruled the students weren’t treated respectfully, but took no action against the teacher involved. A family member then filed a petition in court to have that ruling reviewed.

In this latest decision, the commissioner called Lloyd’s conduct “not appropriately sensitive” to the history of residential schools, and the impact the approach would have on the community.

Lloyd agreed to be reprimanded and take a course on creating a positive learning environment. In March, she took part in a healing circle with the affected First Nation.

no link . competator

the fact someone thiught this was okay is stunning in 2017
techrtr
Übergod

Re: How native kids were treated

Post by techrtr »

Ummm, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like they were being tortured. We're hypersensitive to everything these days - to the point of absurdity.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

where they first nations kids from a residential school? and the parents agreed

only mistake the teacher did was not follow up in email or something to get written agreement

keep this up and we won't have any teachers left
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Maybe if those kids had been taught some manners and respect at home the teachers could spend their time teaching.
Black Dogs Matter
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I don't disagree with anything any poster here has said, sometimes we are too sensitive.

But you know what they pound into you over and over in your BED degree, the waiver you sign in your practicum, and so many professional development seminars?

DON'T MANHANDLE THE CHILDREN! DON'T TOUCH THE CHILDREN EVEN WITH A SIDE HUG OR A SHOULDER RUB OF ENCOURAGEMENT! DO NOT TOUCH THE KIDS, EVEN IF THEY ARE ACTING OUT, IF THEY ACT OUT AGAINST YOU OR OTHERS, YOU REMOVE YOUSELF AND THE OTHER CHILDREN.

It even goes that if a child is being violent, you can't restrain them, just remove as many hazards as possible. The only person in the school allowed to touch a child is a senior administrator.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Not allowed to touch
Not allowed to teach
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I don't disagree with anything any poster here has said, sometimes we are too sensitive.

But you know what they pound into you over and over in your BED degree, the waiver you sign in your practicum, and so many professional development seminars?

DON'T MANHANDLE THE CHILDREN! DON'T TOUCH THE CHILDREN EVEN WITH A SIDE HUG OR A SHOULDER RUB OF ENCOURAGEMENT! DO NOT TOUCH THE KIDS, EVEN IF THEY ARE ACTING OUT, IF THEY ACT OUT AGAINST YOU OR OTHERS, YOU REMOVE YOUSELF AND THE OTHER CHILDREN.

It even goes that if a child is being violent, you can't restrain them, just remove as many hazards as possible. The only person in the school allowed to touch a child is a senior administrator.

Honestly I get the idea, it's a lot like this....http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-along-shirt however, it's in a school. Had the parents signed an agreement form, all is well, if the parents will back the teacher ok, but if the teacher took this upon themselves thinking it would be ok....ya, sorry, no. Can't tie kids together.

Fun fact. Not all kids will get along. It's impossible. Mu kid has kids that just press his buttons and I bet he does the same to other kids, just like some adults are great friends and some I fight to tolerate. It's social development, the better plan to me is to teach how to deal properly with people you have issues with, thank to try to force everyone to be friends, it's just not a real goal.

Strapping them together for a day sounds like a big miss, with good intentions. No real harm, but lets inform the people involved they were misguided with a sensible disciplinary action that is appropriate.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

My wife is a teacher and she hugs kids all the time. I went to her class to do a talk about First Nations culture and the kids all lined up to give me a hug. I think that whole "no touch" thing has been relaxed.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

White kids....
I remember getting a *shwack* from a yard stick for being a little :cuss: in class.
Well deserved too. When I got home my parents where fully supportive of the teachers actions and warned me that any more classroom shenanigans would result in a *shwack* at school...followed by another at home. [icon_lol2.gif]

Ah the good ol days.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maryjane48 wrote:A former school administrator in B.C. has been reprimanded for tying two students together at the ankles to try to get them to get along, subsequently triggering memories of residential schools.

According to the B.C. Commisioner for Teacher Regulation, Cheryl Louise Lloyd was consulted by a primary teacher in May of 2015 at an unnamed independent school about two Grade 2 boys who were struggling to get along – in some cases using inappropriate physical contact.

She spoke to the students’ parent and caregiver, who agreed with the plan. She then told the boys they would be tied “loosely” together with a strip of a T-shirt for the day of May 14, having to use their words to work together.

Lloyd checked on the two students a number of times during the day, according to documents.

They could untie themselves when one needed to use the washrooms, but had to remain tied together at lunch hour.

According to media reports, the commissioner actually examined this case earlier this year, and ruled the students weren’t treated respectfully, but took no action against the teacher involved. A family member then filed a petition in court to have that ruling reviewed.

In this latest decision, the commissioner called Lloyd’s conduct “not appropriately sensitive” to the history of residential schools, and the impact the approach would have on the community.

Lloyd agreed to be reprimanded and take a course on creating a positive learning environment. In March, she took part in a healing circle with the affected First Nation.

no link . competator

the fact someone thiught this was okay is stunning in 2017

hope this helps make you feel a little better today https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204982
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

techrtr wrote:Ummm, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like they were being tortured. We're hypersensitive to everything these days - to the point of absurdity.

and then some
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

How are native kids treated at home ??????
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 26th, 2017, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Unfortunately some teachers really suck and should be doing something else for money.

Return to “B.C.”