Ban foreigners from buying farm land....

dle
Lord of the Board

Ban foreigners from buying farm land....

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204863

If it is zoned for agricultural, how is anyone, foreigner or not, able to build homes on it? They would not be able to get a development permit to build houses on ALR land, or something zoned agricultural. What did I miss in this story?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Ban foreigners from buying farm land....

Post by Hassel99 »

You are allowed to build a principle dwelling on your own farmland.

The loophole is as follows. Take 40 acres, split it into 8, 5 acres parcels, Sell each as Farmland. New farmer on his 5 acres can now build his principle dwelling to run his farm. New farmer is not really a farmer just wanted a huge house on 5 acres, lease out operations of land/orchard/farm to 3rd party real farmer. Lease provides farm income to retain farm status and low taxes.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Sounds about right, just need a lot of money$$$
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Hassel99 wrote:You are allowed to build a principle dwelling on your own farmland.
5 acre

The loophole is as follows. Take 40 acres, split it into 8, 5 acres parcels, Sell each as Farmland. New farmer on his 5 acres can now build his principle dwelling to run his farm. New farmer is not really a farmer just wanted a huge house on 5 acres, lease out operations of land/orchard/farm to 3rd party real farmer. Lease provides farm income to retain farm status and low taxes.

Well isn't this just peachy. Don't they have to apply to the land commission to split up their 40 acres into 5 acre parcels? This just sounds too easy to circumvent the ALR rules. There are a lot of people who would love to sell their ALR land and seem to have a lot of trouble doing it as it has to remain in the ALR. I wonder why they wouldn't just do it in 5 acre parcels? They would still get their money out of it.....
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Clearly my response was a major simplification of a complicated process.

But you get the jist.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I'm not sure where the OP has been, but it is absolutely normal and allowable for a farmland owner to build their home on the land. As it should be.
Subdividing within the ALR is beyond difficult and just short of impossible, subject to certain defined allowances. However, subdividing a bigger farm parcel into smaller ones is, again, just short of impossible, in general.
You and 71 others Like this post
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Typical Liberals - sell everything to highest bidder. Then, one day we all wake up and realize that our province is completely owned by foreigners. From what I understand, foreign ownership of land is very tightly controlled in most European countries.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I hope a foreigner buys my land for more than its worth wont bother me one bit

Return to “B.C.”