Grizzly bears.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Grizzly bears.

Post by Queen K »

Oh come on Rwede, "trophy hunting" has been a term used ever since I can remember. How can you argue that there is no such thing? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Can the same be said about trophy hunting? And, I would have to be pretty close to death before I ate bear meat again. I have tried most of the wild game here in BC and bear is the lowest on my list of desirables.
I used to hunt them all, never killed anything that I wasn't prepared to eat and use every part of the animal that I had taken their life from.
I never killed for sport or trophies in my entire life. I took a life to save my own once, and everything else was for food.

No such thing as "trophy hunting."

But it's a great spin word used by the left wing dingbats like Horgan to vilify the people who take personal responsibility to secure their own food and live a healthy, GMO/antibiotic/growth hormone free lifestyle.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/trophy-hu ... -1.3974716
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:Oh come on Rwede, "trophy hunting" has been a term used ever since I can remember. How can you argue that there is no such thing? :135:

The tooth fairy has been a term since you were a little girl too.

I harvested a whitetail doe a couple of weeks ago. My motivation was no different than if it had been a 170 class whitetail buck.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh ya, tooth fairy/trophy hunting: no relation whatsoever, who is mixing up stuff now?

Did you also harvest a Grizz this year? As you hoped to?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Since when does ^^^^^ have to do with Grizzly Bears? :topic:

How many Grizzles are taken for food? How many are taken for the photo-op, the rug and the head mounted over the fireplace?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:Oh ya, tooth fairy/trophy hunting: no relation whatsoever, who is mixing up stuff now?

Did you also harvest a Grizz this year? As you hoped to?

Nope, the bear and I crossed paths, but at different times.

That's what hunting is all about.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

No one calling themselves a hunter would shoot a bear for any reason other than survival of an attack . Trying to defend a tropheyhunt is the display of cowardace that should result in jail time
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm happy for the Grizz, lives to see another day, and maybe a photographer will get lucky and get some good shots (pun intended).

And we do have a hunting thread for the white tail story. :D
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Rwede wrote:No such thing as "trophy hunting."

But it's a great spin word used by the left wing dingbats like Horgan to vilify the people who take personal responsibility to secure their own food and live a healthy, GMO/antibiotic/growth hormone free lifestyle.

I would argue that there is very much something called trophy hunting. Do you remember the guide that was charged for leaving 54 moose carcasses in the bush after removing the heads and antlers for his out of country clients ?
IMO nobody would hunt Griz for food, you would enjoy a fir tree more.

I love to hunt, do it quite a bit. I eat what I get and enjoy it. But some only want a wall hanging,
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's trophy outfitters in BC so I would really like an explanation - maybe I'm missing something.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here's my story if you got a few minutes.. Keep in mine I wrote this right when it took place so the dates are off..

" I have felt like crap for about 3 weeks now, well a week ago I was driving in town and felt short of breath and tightening of the chest. I pulled off the road thinking it would just go away, it didn't and got worse and worse until I felt like I was gasping for air so I called 911 and went for an ambulance ride to the ER..

At the ER they gave me oxygen and ran tests and x rays, nothing wrong on the x rays and blood work confirmed I was not having a heart attack (I'm 35) So they release me... The EKG did however raise some concern so they advised that I should have a heart stress test done (after they release me)to make sure all is good...

The next few days I was worried something was wrong with my heart.. I got sick of worrying so I went camping for the weekend (this last weekend) to clear my head and relax.. Well on the way home I get a text from a guy I met during a previous backpacking trip in Sept, it says...

"Hey Jason, just wondering if you and your brother got sick after eating that bear we killed, me and &^%&* did Doc thinks we have worms takes 4-6 weeks to start feeling bad"

DING!.. Light goes on..

Rewind to Sept 18th... Me and my bro backpacked into the high country where we met 2 guys that had killed a bear, we joined them at their camp for dinner where we had bear ribs and backstraps.. And looking back some of it was undercooked..

So I called him up and he asked me my symptoms (muscle fatigue,shortness of breath)and they are the same.. Now I figure I better get a hold of my bro since I have not heard from him in a while.. he probably has them too..Turns out he has been sick for 3 weeks with the same symptoms..

They can enter your central nervous system and cause respiratory paralysis ... This is what was happening to me...Scary

Sorry for the long post I'll shorten it up... All 4 of us got sick from the meat.. When the blood work comes back it will confirm that we all have Trichinosis which is very rare, only 12-20 cases in the USA a year.."
Bring back the LIKE button.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

If people aren't smart enough to cook bear meat to 170 degrees internal temperature, they risk getting sick.

That same warning applies to domestic pork, which can also carry the same disease.

I've eaten a lot of bear, grizzly and black bear. It forms part of the healthy diet we have at my house. All my friends in the hunting community enjoy the same table fare. None of us has ever had any problem from eating properly prepared game meat.

I plan on harvesting a grizzly bear to supplement our food requirements should I be fortunate enough to get drawn again and locate one for harvest. It's a difficult task to fill a grizzly bear tag due to rugged terrain, time of year, wariness of prey, and the perfect conditions to make an ethical, clean shot. I've passed on shots in non-perfect situations before, and will continue to do so until the right conditions present themselves.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

alanjh595 wrote:Here's my story if you got a few minutes.. Keep in mine I wrote this right when it took place so the dates are off..

" I have felt like crap for about 3 weeks now, well a week ago I was driving in town and felt short of breath and tightening of the chest. I pulled off the road thinking it would just go away, it didn't and got worse and worse until I felt like I was gasping for air so I called 911 and went for an ambulance ride to the ER..

At the ER they gave me oxygen and ran tests and x rays, nothing wrong on the x rays and blood work confirmed I was not having a heart attack (I'm 35) So they release me... The EKG did however raise some concern so they advised that I should have a heart stress test done (after they release me)to make sure all is good...

The next few days I was worried something was wrong with my heart.. I got sick of worrying so I went camping for the weekend (this last weekend) to clear my head and relax.. Well on the way home I get a text from a guy I met during a previous backpacking trip in Sept, it says...

"Hey Jason, just wondering if you and your brother got sick after eating that bear we killed, me and &^%&* did Doc thinks we have worms takes 4-6 weeks to start feeling bad"

DING!.. Light goes on..

Rewind to Sept 18th... Me and my bro backpacked into the high country where we met 2 guys that had killed a bear, we joined them at their camp for dinner where we had bear ribs and backstraps.. And looking back some of it was undercooked..

So I called him up and he asked me my symptoms (muscle fatigue,shortness of breath)and they are the same.. Now I figure I better get a hold of my bro since I have not heard from him in a while.. he probably has them too..Turns out he has been sick for 3 weeks with the same symptoms..

They can enter your central nervous system and cause respiratory paralysis ... This is what was happening to me...Scary

Sorry for the long post I'll shorten it up... All 4 of us got sick from the meat.. When the blood work comes back it will confirm that we all have Trichinosis which is very rare, only 12-20 cases in the USA a year.."

some of it was undercooked is the key piece there. Same thing can happen with poultry, ground beef, fish and other wild game.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

B.C.'s Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, Doug Donaldson, says a decision on the controversial grizzly bear hunt is coming soon.

"In October, we launched a consultation process to help inform regulation development with respect to the future of the grizzly bear hunt in British Columbia. Based on feedback received, we're assessing all input and will be releasing a consultation report, including any new policy direction, in the near future."

The public engagement period was Oct. 2, 2017, until Nov. 2, 2017. First Nations throughout the province were engaged, and 15 meetings with key stakeholder groups were held.

Approximately 4,200 written responses were received.

Castanet https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/213568 ... ision-soon
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

Fancy wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:NO wild animal should be killed, UNLESS:

It is a matter of:

survival, self protection, (aggressive animal).
Indigenous people that require the food for their people's necessity to live.
Every and all parts of the kill are completely removed and consumed. That includes meat, hide, horns, and usable organs.
NO part of the kill will be sold or exchanged for other items such as cash, alcohol, cigarettes, narcotics, etc.
NO part is to be used as a trophy. This is a big one! There should be laws against displaying taxidermied animals and all parts of the body.
Hunting tags/permits should only be sold to those that can show proof of need for extra sustenance.
Hunting tags and permits should become extremely expensive.
Tags should only be issued for animals that have reached or exceeded a healthy limit for that year, in that area.
Sick or dying animals. No trophies are to be removed from humane euthanased, let nature take it's course and supply other wildlife with food.
Non-resident hunters should be banned.

This would be a good start to protecting one of BC's greatest resources and tourist attractions.

Nah - I love hunting.

I guess we could just buy our meat from the grocery store then, that makes more sense, and by doing so no animals will be harmed because that's not where grocery store meat comes from. Meh, I will stick with hunting to feed my family.

Return to “B.C.”