Grizzly bears.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Grizzly bears.

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:I plan on harvesting a grizzly bear to supplement our food requirements should I be fortunate enough to get drawn again and locate one for harvest. It's a difficult task to fill a grizzly bear tag due to rugged terrain, time of year, wariness of prey, and the perfect conditions to make an ethical, clean shot. I've passed on shots in non-perfect situations before, and will continue to do so until the right conditions present themselves.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213568

Did you attend or write in your views about the fate of the grizzly hunt?

Decision coming soon.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Effective immediately the grizzly bear hunt in B.C. has been suspended.

The British Columbia government is bringing an end to the hunting of grizzly bears throughout the province, Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, and George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, announced today.

"Through consultations this past fall, we have listened to what British Columbians have to say on this issue and it is abundantly clear that the grizzly hunt is not in line with their values," Donaldson said. "Our government continues to support hunting in this province and recognizes our hunting heritage is of great importance to many British Columbians."

The spring grizzly bear hunt was scheduled to open on April 1, 2018, but the ban on hunting for resident and non-resident hunters takes effect immediately.

"Our government is committed to improving wildlife management in B.C., and today's announcement, along with a focused grizzly bear management plan, are the first steps in protecting one of our most iconic species," Heyman said. "We also want to promote the healthy grizzly bear viewing economy in B.C. and give everyone the tremendous opportunity to see these incredible animals in their natural habitat."

In August 2017, the government announced that effective Nov. 30, 2017, it would end trophy hunting of grizzly bears and stop all hunting of grizzly bears in the Great Bear Rainforest. The government also announced it would launch a consultation process on regulations to support a sustenance hunt while ending the trophy hunt.

Through the consultation process with First Nations, stakeholder groups and the public, 78% of respondents recommended the hunt be stopped entirely.

First Nations will still be able to harvest grizzly bears pursuant to Aboriginal rights for food, social, or ceremonial purposes, or treaty rights.

There are an estimated 15,000 grizzly bears in British Columbia

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#214302

Obviously not a complete end to grizzly bear hunting in BC.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Only 5% of the population will be allowed to hunt grizzlies. I'm going to encourage my children to marry First Nations people so that their children have the option of hunting grizzly bears.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GracieD

Post by GracieD »

My son said there is plenty of them in the Kootenays around Fernie etc. He said they will have to control the population at some time and should do an LEH hunt at least.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

This is good news. I've never met anyone who eats grizzly bear meat, so what's the purpose of killing them?
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Glacier wrote:Only 5% of the population will be allowed to hunt grizzlies. I'm going to encourage my children to marry First Nations people so that their children have the option of hunting grizzly bears.

That is a great way to disgrace a first nations person, to marry them so you can trophy hunt under the guise of traditional rights.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GracieD wrote:My son said there is plenty of them in the Kootenays around Fernie etc. He said they will have to control the population at some time and should do an LEH hunt at least.

My mom has been in BC since 1968, and never even saw a grizzly bear into the last decade. Now she sees them all the time, and has had to purchase 4 dogs to keep them off her property.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Glacier wrote:
GracieD wrote:My son said there is plenty of them in the Kootenays around Fernie etc. He said they will have to control the population at some time and should do an LEH hunt at least.

My mom has been in BC since 1968, and never even saw a grizzly bear into the last decade. Now she sees them all the time, and has had to purchase 4 dogs to keep them off her property.

that says more about the urbanization of bears rather than the population fluctuations
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Brass Monkey wrote:that says more about the urbanization of bears rather than the population fluctuations

My mom lives in one of the most remote places in BC. She's 200km from the nearest cell reception with no neighbours in any direction for many km. She lives in the middle of the forest by herself. You can't get less urban than that. There were almost no grizzly bears in the sparsely populated valley where she lives 20 years ago, now they are everywhere. So much so that she packs a gun around when she goes for hikes to protect herself (and she had to use it once to save her life as she was charged by a grizzly).
- Douglas Murray
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Brass Monkey wrote:
Glacier wrote:My mom has been in BC since 1968, and never even saw a grizzly bear into the last decade. Now she sees them all the time, and has had to purchase 4 dogs to keep them off her property.

that says more about the urbanization of bears rather than the population fluctuations

Actually, it says more about human encroachment on bear habitat.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glac my mom works where your mom lives and shes not worried :130: you can still shoot in self defence . :smt045
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

maryjane48 wrote:Man has,also. Learned to. Live with out shooting bears . In reality man didnt have guns in days. You want to harken back to
And humans have and do push animals to history books
Nature and humans,kill off animals plants anything living
:smt045 most in bc want bear hunt stopped . Majority rules in our country . :130:

I read the book by explorer David Thompson about his travels in western North America from 1784-1812. He was down in the Kootenays when he encountered an aboriginal village that had just suffered a tragedy because of a grizzly bear that had destroyed their winter food stores. Warriors who had tried to stop the grizzly with spears and arrows were killed. Thompson gave the chief a firearm and when the grizzly returned it was shot and killed. The chief was very grateful.
Grizzlies are top predators. I still believe they should be left alone today. However, people have been killed by them. I hope this decision does not result in the death of people. Hunting bears makes them fear us.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

People should be bear aware better :130:
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Lets hope the natives really start smashing bears on the regular. The ungulate population is gonna be hit the hardest by this new ruling.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

dirtguy wrote:Lets hope the natives really start smashing bears on the regular. The ungulate population is gonna be hit the hardest by this new ruling.

False
Its human activities that do most damage . But just for fun lets see your study

Return to “B.C.”