Grizzly bears.

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Grizzly bears.

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:Okay, I withdraw my comment about him being "stupid" but still, the admitted he shot a radio collared bear. So why isn't the government recognizing any of the above scenerios and going ahead with fines?

There's nothing illegal about shooting an animal with a radio collar.

In fact, it's right in the hunting regulations encouraging people to harvest animals normally irrespective if they have a collar.

EARTAGS AND COLLARS
Please DO NOT AVOID hunting animals
with ear tags or collars, unless specified under
regional sections in the synopsis. This will ensure
that biologists acquire accurate data on mortality
rates. If you kill a marked animal, please
contact your local Ministry office with the
number on the ear tag or collar because the
meat may not be safe to eat if immobilization
drugs were used. Ear tags and collars must be
returned to the Ministry office.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sport ... 6-2018.pdf
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Oct 27th, 2017, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't think BS and what is your opinion based on?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

NO wild animal should be killed, UNLESS:

It is a matter of:

survival, self protection, (aggressive animal).
Indigenous people that require the food for their people's necessity to live.
Every and all parts of the kill are completely removed and consumed. That includes meat, hide, horns, and usable organs.
NO part of the kill will be sold or exchanged for other items such as cash, alcohol, cigarettes, narcotics, etc.
NO part is to be used as a trophy. This is a big one! There should be laws against displaying taxidermied animals and all parts of the body.
Hunting tags/permits should only be sold to those that can show proof of need for extra sustenance.
Hunting tags and permits should become extremely expensive.
Tags should only be issued for animals that have reached or exceeded a healthy limit for that year, in that area.
Sick or dying animals. No trophies are to be removed from humane euthanased, let nature take it's course and supply other wildlife with food.
Non-resident hunters should be banned.

This would be a good start to protecting one of BC's greatest resources and tourist attractions.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

alanjh595 wrote:NO wild animal should be killed, UNLESS:

It is a matter of:

Every and all parts of the kill are completely removed and consumed. That includes meat, hide, horns, and usable organs.
NO part of the kill will be sold or exchanged for other items such as cash, alcohol, cigarettes, narcotics, etc.
NO part is to be used as a trophy. This is a big one! There should be laws against displaying taxidermied animals and all parts of the body.
Hunting tags/permits should only be sold to those that can show proof of need for extra sustenance.
Tags should only be issued for animals that have reached or exceeded a healthy limit for that year, in that area.
Sick or dying animals. No trophies are to be removed from humane euthanased, let nature take it's course and supply other wildlife with food.

This would be a good start to protecting one of BC's greatest resources and tourist attractions.

Nah - I love hunting.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rwede wrote:
Queen K wrote:Okay, I withdraw my comment about him being "stupid" but still, the admitted he shot a radio collared bear. So why isn't the government recognizing any of the above scenerios and going ahead with fines?

There's nothing illegal about shooting an animal with a radio collar.

In fact, it's right in the hunting regulations encouraging people to harvest animals normally irrespective if they have a collar.

EARTAGS AND COLLARS
Please DO NOT AVOID hunting animals
with ear tags or collars, unless specified under
regional sections in the synopsis. This will ensure
that biologists acquire accurate data on mortality
rates. If you kill a marked animal, please
contact your local Ministry office with the
number on the ear tag or collar because the
meat may not be safe to eat if immobilization
drugs were used. Ear tags and collars must be
returned to the Ministry office.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sport ... 6-2018.pdf

Seriously, I thought the radio collars protected animals from being targets. I will bet a great many non-hunters thought so too. Good to know.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Queen K wrote:Seriously, I thought the radio collars protected animals from being targets. I will bet a great many non-hunters thought so too. Good to know.

That's a pretty common misconception by many folks.

The reason the biologists' do not want you to consciously avoid harvesting collared/tagged animals is because it can skew the data. The animals are being studied and mortality is often part of said study.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soe/indicators ... bears.html

I'm thinking the graph is going to look a whole lot different in a couple of years.

I haven't read this report yet:
http://www.bcauditor.com/sites/default/ ... gement.pdf

Warning: Some might find the picture on the next link disturbing but the bear was released unharmed.

The forests ministry estimates that about 250 of B.C.’s 15,000 grizzly bears are taken by hunters each year, in a limited-entry lottery hunt open to resident and non-resident hunters. The audit found that from 2006 to 2015, there were 389 bears killed as a result of human-bear conflicts, not related to hunting.

http://www.merrittherald.com/habitat-lo ... zly-bears/
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

alanjh595 wrote:NO wild animal should be killed, UNLESS:

It is a matter of:

And the animals will all play together just like they do on Walt Disney.

When your eyes migrate to the sides of your head, and your canine teeth fall out, come back to us with a better case for banning something you know nothing about.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I do know that the wildlife was doing just fine be man started killing them. That is something that I do know.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

alanjh595 wrote:I do know that the wildlife was doing just fine be man started killing them. That is something that I do know.

Man has killed to eat for as long as man has existed.

You have some utopian view that states otherwise?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Rwede wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:I do know that the wildlife was doing just fine be man started killing them. That is something that I do know.

Man has killed to eat for as long as man has existed.

You have some utopian view that states otherwise?

Can the same be said about trophy hunting? And, I would have to be pretty close to death before I ate bear meat again. I have tried most of the wild game here in BC and bear is the lowest on my list of desirables.
I used to hunt them all, never killed anything that I wasn't prepared to eat and use every part of the animal that I had taken their life from.
I never killed for sport or trophies in my entire life. I took a life to save my own once, and everything else was for food.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Man has,also. Learned to. Live with out shooting bears . In reality man didnt have guns in days. You want to harken back to
And humans have and do push animals to history books
Nature and humans,kill off animals plants anything living
:smt045 most in bc want bear hunt stopped . Majority rules in our country . :130:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

maryjane48 wrote:Man has,also. Learned to. Live with out shooting bears . In reality man didnt have guns in days. You want to harken back to
And humans have and do push animals to history books
Nature and humans,kill off animals plants anything living
:smt045 most in bc want bear hunt stopped . Majority rules in our country . :130:

I would like to see a poll of all BCers that proves that opinion.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

alanjh595 wrote:Can the same be said about trophy hunting? And, I would have to be pretty close to death before I ate bear meat again. I have tried most of the wild game here in BC and bear is the lowest on my list of desirables.
I used to hunt them all, never killed anything that I wasn't prepared to eat and use every part of the animal that I had taken their life from.
I never killed for sport or trophies in my entire life. I took a life to save my own once, and everything else was for food.

No such thing as "trophy hunting."

But it's a great spin word used by the left wing dingbats like Horgan to vilify the people who take personal responsibility to secure their own food and live a healthy, GMO/antibiotic/growth hormone free lifestyle.

Return to “B.C.”