NDP removing tolls on Vancouver bridges

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: NDP removing tolls on Vancouver bridges

Post by Urbane »

The NDP are in government now, despite losing the election, because of the promise to remove the tolls. It wasn't enough to win the election but it was enough to get them into power. Ironically, the man who put the NDP into power calls the removal of the tolls "reckless."

This bridge toll promise, the promise to freeze Hydro rates, the promise to eliminate MSP premiums, the promise to bring in $10 per day childcare, the promise to get rid of all school portables within a few years, and the general promise to "make life more affordable for ordinary British Columbians" will make for an interesting fiscal plan when the NDP comes up with one.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:[Removing the tolls on the Port Man and the Golden Ears is good plan to level the playing field, since there are already shadow tolls on most of the infrastructure that was built during the BC Liberal reign of terror anyway.

LOL - yes building lots of needed infrastructure is described as "a reign of terror". It's actually the opposite of a "reign of terror". The reason (one of the many reasons) why the two terms under the New Dumbs in the 1990's was a reign of terror was that those idiots didn't build any infrastructure, because they were such bumbling inept bozos, who couldn't run a lemonade stand.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Urbane wrote:The NDP are in government now, despite losing the election, because of the promise to remove the tolls. It wasn't enough to win the election but it was enough to get them into power. Ironically, the man who put the NDP into power calls the removal of the tolls "reckless."

This bridge toll promise, the promise to freeze Hydro rates, the promise to eliminate MSP premiums, the promise to bring in $10 per day childcare, the promise to get rid of all school portables within a few years, and the general promise to "make life more affordable for ordinary British Columbians" will make for an interesting fiscal plan when the NDP comes up with one.

Ok what? I don't remember any such promise to remove tolls. I may have missed it. Please, don't pretend about elections. She lost her riding and chose one that she'd likely win. At the point of ousting a democratically elected mla, to win.

That's just lame of you to bring up, again.

Corruption. I know that you know what I mean. In another thread... that I've forgotten about. :)
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Opeeved wrote:I don't remember any such promise to remove tolls. I may have missed it.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3382441/bc-election-2017-a-look-at-promises-made-by-bc-liberals-bc-ndp-and-bc-green-parties/

According to that, the NDP promised to remove bridge tolls on April 16 of this year. The same list also shows that the Libs promised to cap the tolls, with further information stating:

commuters could pay no more than $500 per year to cross the Port Mann and Golden Ears Bridges. The cap would also apply to the replaced Pattullo Bridge and the George Massey Tunnel Replacement once they are up and running.

(Note: That second sentence also suggests that the replaced Patullo and tunnel would both bear a toll)
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

36Drew wrote:
Queen K wrote:however, I wish to recount an experience I had when getting off the ferry at the Tsawassen terminal. We had a half of tank of gas and figured it'd be easy to find a gas station once off the ferry. This was not the case for a long, long time.

Just throwing this out there - once you exit the terminal and pass the few gas stations (on band land), you are on a freeway. That's highway 17. You then intersect with highway 99. All around you is basically farmland and swamp.

You won't find any gas stations on freeways (there aren't any on 97c or highway 5...), and they're certainly not going to build any on the farmland or swamp area.

This is just it, if you're new down there, like I was, you don't know what you don't know.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Opeeved wrote:Ok what? I don't remember any such promise to remove tolls. I may have missed it. Please, don't pretend about elections. She lost her riding and chose one that she'd likely win. At the point of ousting a democratically elected mla, to win.

Corruption. I know that you know what I mean. In another thread... that I've forgotten about. :)

So you say the NDP never promised to remove the bridge tolls and somehow this thread is about Christy Clark running in a 2013 by-election?? Please focus and keep the thread topic in mind.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

So it's agreed by all BCLP and NDP commenters on this thread......there are shadow tolls on all major infrastructure built in B.C. since 2001? I've brought it up several times and no one has refuted it, so it must be true. I guess that's why the NDP decided to take those extra tolls off the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:The NDP are in government now, despite losing the election, because of the promise to remove the tolls. It wasn't enough to win the election but it was enough to get them into power. Ironically, the man who put the NDP into power calls the removal of the tolls "reckless."

Opeeved wrote:Ok what? I don't remember any such promise to remove tolls. I may have missed it. Please, don't pretend about elections. She lost her riding and chose one that she'd likely win. At the point of ousting a democratically elected mla, to win.

Given the amount of coverage the promise got in the media, I find it very difficult to believe you honestly missed that bit about removing tolls.

On the other hand what I do find much easier to accept, is the apparent epidemic of NDP'ers with selective memory, when things that don't suit their agenda come to the surface. Let's just blame it on that. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Urbane wrote:

So you say the NDP never promised to remove the bridge tolls and somehow this thread is about Christy Clark running in a 2013 by-election?? Please focus and keep the thread topic in mind.

You're the one that brought up promises . I said "I may have missed it". I didn't say anything. Other than fact. I spoke about elections in the context of what you said prior.
Sheesh man, put words in my mouth
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

lasnomadas wrote: I've brought it up several times and no one has refuted it, so it must be true

Nobody wanting to research your beliefs does not make them valid. If it makes you feel better assume that any non-answer is contested by me by default because I don't believe you could research any problem beyond a grade 3 science fair capability.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

36Drew wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:Less facetiously, try and find parking near a Sky Train station. Good luck!

Granted there isn't much parking at some of the stations, you can park and ride at the following spots:

Coquitlam Center - Has park and ride
Port Moody - Has park and ride
Burquitlam - find a side street and park, plenty around but you may have to walk 500m to the station.
Lougheed - If it's the evening, you can most certainly get away with parking at the far end of the mall parking lot. Some limited side-street parking.
Sapperton - Some limited side-street parking. Go to New West Station. (In a pinch, you could "cheat" and pay the day-rate in the Royal Columbian parking - but that's a dick move).
New West - Park and Ride.
Royal Oak - Park on Palm
Joyce - Find a neighborhood street. Plenty of them.
29th - Same
Nanaimo - Same
Main Street - Easypark at Quebec and Terminal
Stadium / Chinatown - Underground below Costco (also good for events at the stadium...)
Waterfront - Impark lot at either end of the train station

I could go on, but you get the point. There's plenty of places to park along the line. If you can't find street parking, then you're going to pay for a spot... or you can catch a bus to the train.

Lol. https://www.translink.ca/en/Getting-Around/Driving/Park-and-Ride/Park-and-Ride-Text-Only.aspx

They are for the shnail bus system. One only for Sky Train east of the Fraser. One. 1471 spaces for over a million people.. [icon_lol2.gif]
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

lasnomadas wrote:So it's agreed by all BCLP and NDP commenters on this thread......there are shadow tolls on all major infrastructure built in B.C. since 2001? I've brought it up several times and no one has refuted it, so it must be true. I guess that's why the NDP decided to take those extra tolls off the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges.

No - ignored your "shadow tolls" because that is just another of your unsubstantiated conspiracy theories. Fact free zone with no links again and again.

General theory is that if you say something over and over without substantiating it, it is just brain flatulence. So please proceed and prove your case with links that can be substantiated.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Big assumption there - the NDP no dang plan party coming up with a plan. They couldn't even cost their so called platform - so how can they create a fiscal plan out of nothing?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Stuff your socks and wait to see what the Throne Speech has to say and then what Carole James puts forth for the budget.
Chill
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Being too lazy or ? to Google 'shadow tolls', is no excuse for using the old conspiracy theory response. Facts are not to be confused with conspiracy theories. If you don't want to admit that there are already tolls on the Sea to Sky Highway, the Bennett bridge in Kelowna, etc., just say so.

Return to “B.C.”