NDP cash-for-access events scheduled

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: NDP cash-for-access events scheduled

Post by rustled »

mr.bandaid wrote:Gasp!!!! I can't believe what I am seeing. A political party raising money, which for now at least is not illegal. With all the focus on the NDP are those rascal Liberals also raising money? Whatever, until it is legislated I could give a rats a$$. I just know I will not be giving either one of them my hard earned dollars. How about you guys? Urbane, you sent your check to the liberals yet?

Of course the Liberals are still raising money. The focus is on those who screech loudly only when others do it. (Probably because those others do it better :biggrin: .)

Wouldn't it be grand to see the Liberals start adhering to what they'd proposed in the bill that was defeated by the NDG? What if they actually took the moral high ground on this one?

It seems to me any of us posting on this topic could donate to the party of our choice without being hypocritical, unless we're donating huge sums while representing a particular interest.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

To put it in really simple terms, many of us have been saying for a long time that corporate and union donations should be banned. Put a cap on individual donations etc. We criticized the Liberals for accepting donations and for not changing the policy. Then the Liberals finally introduced a bill to ban those donations and the NDP and Greens voted against the bill at First Reading. And after doing so the NDP and Liberals continued to rake in the big bucks.

So what's the reaction from NDP'ers on here? One or two have been critical of their party and good for them but sadly, most have just typed "ChristyLiberals" a bunch of times as if that's an excuse for anything that the GDP government does. I and many others have been saying for a long time that BOTH the Liberals and the NDP are sleazy but more often than not I've gotten the response from NDP'ers that only the Liberals were sleazy. Well, if there had been any doubt about me, and many others, being right on the sleaze factor there is no doubt anymore.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Buckeye19 wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:There is a vast difference between a fundraising event that is open to all members of the public that is relatively affordable at $500.00 than one held for people who can afford $10,000 to $20,000 and is limited to that elite with an agenda.

Why do you have so much difficulty just calling a spade, a spade?

That would be due to wearing rose colored glasses where all things NDP are concerned.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane wrote:To put it in really simple terms, many of us have been saying for a long time that corporate and union donations should be banned. Put a cap on individual donations etc. We criticized the Liberals for accepting donations and for not changing the policy. Then the Liberals finally introduced a bill to ban those donations and the NDP and Greens voted against the bill at First Reading. And after doing so the NDP and Liberals continued to rake in the big bucks.

So what's the reaction from NDP'ers on here? One or two have been critical of their party and good for them but sadly, most have just typed "ChristyLiberals" a bunch of times as if that's an excuse for anything that the GDP government does. I and many others have been saying for a long time that BOTH the Liberals and the NDP are sleazy but more often than not I've gotten the response from NDP'ers that only the Liberals were sleazy. Well, if there had been any doubt about me, and many others, being right on the sleaze factor there is no doubt anymore.

I'll be more disgusted if the GDP refuse to put it forward into legislation. Until that day I couldn't care one iota as I will not be sending either of them any of my money. They say fools and their money are soon parted. Anyone who puts a penny into buying favors from any political party is an idiot.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mr.bandaid wrote:
Urbane wrote:To put it in really simple terms, many of us have been saying for a long time that corporate and union donations should be banned. Put a cap on individual donations etc. We criticized the Liberals for accepting donations and for not changing the policy. Then the Liberals finally introduced a bill to ban those donations and the NDP and Greens voted against the bill at First Reading. And after doing so the NDP and Liberals continued to rake in the big bucks.

I'll be more disgusted if the GDP refuse to put it forward into legislation. Until that day I couldn't care one iota as I will not be sending either of them any of my money. They say fools and their money are soon parted. Anyone who puts a penny into buying favors from any political party is an idiot.

Not everyone who contributes is buying favours. Some folk contribute to the party they feel will do the best job of governing, hoping to help them with the various campaign costs etc. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. The issue for most folk seems to be where to draw the line between contributing to a cause you believe in, and actually trying to influence government (with the largest purse having the most sway). Fortunately, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Lots of governments have already dealt with this problem.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

If individuals want to further the cause good on them but we're not talking individuals. All that has been gripe about in this thread is big money from unions and business. Those are the idiots i'm referring to and those are the ones that are trying to buy favor. Those are the ones who need to be legislated against.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mr.bandaid wrote:If individuals want to further the cause good on them but we're not talking individuals. All that has been gripe about in this thread is big money from unions and business. Those are the idiots i'm referring to and those are the ones that are trying to buy favor. Those are the ones who need to be legislated against.
I see. (When you asked Urbane if he'd contributed, I wondered if there was some confusion around the issue.)
Carry on... :130:

ETA: You mentioned you'd be disgusted if they don't follow through. How soon do you expect them to act?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I've certainly not contributed to any political party as far back as I can remember. I wouldn't want to encourage the politicians too much:) Rustled, you bring up a good point when you suggest that the GDP government doesn't need to reinvent the wheel here since other jurisdictions have already dealt with this issue.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

OFF TOPIC, Do not make it personal
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 27th, 2017, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

Even though the NDP says they are going to ban these type of activities, they are rushing to hold these events before it actually becomes law in October (maybe). So they are legally right, but morally wrong.
When is Weaver going to start holding their feet to the fire, or maybe, just pulling the plug!!

Return to “B.C.”