Ferry smoking

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ferry smoking

Post by Fancy »

Bigdaddy2290 wrote:Dogs - this will be interesting, people cannot stay with their dogs on the truck (lower) deck but then that place is uncomfortable for people and dogs as it has no window and relies on fans so it is warm (not hot) and humid and smelly.
As I said before, the ferries we've been on were open so quite comfortable and airy for anyone wishing to sleep in their vehicles.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

MJ - basic economics.

If a ferry costs $100 to run, and you have 100 paying customers, then you can charge $1.01 each and have a small profit of $1.00.

The same ferry costing $100 to run with 95 paying customers needs to charge $100/95 plus .o1 = 1.06 and will have a profit of only $.70

I did that with small numbers so that it is easy to see.

Every move that BC Ferries makes that discourages passengers, winds up having a big effect on the fare price. If you figure that 1/6 of BC Ferry passengers are smokers, by discouraging smokers they will drive their paying passenger numbers down. 16% of their passenger base are smokers. If the Soup Nazi no smoking area move discourages them, and I think it will, then that will drive up rates for everyone.

Lets assume that smokers on the Island decide to avoid the ferries whenever possible. So they cut their trips down by 25%. Then add in tourists that will choose other destinations where they don't have the BC Ferry hassle (say going to the resort in Osoyoos instead). Easy to get to 5% drop in paying passengers.

5% drop in paying passengers results in a requirement for at least a 6% increase in fares. Increase fares another 6% and the other 84% of ferry users start to think twice about their number of trips. Tourists look at the price, and a few more bail to other destinations. That could easily throw another 3% decline into the mix, once again requiring a further 4% fare increase.

So the Soup Nazi moves could easily cost Vancouver Island residents a 10% increase in fare costs.

Then you have to consider how much it will cost Vancouver Island in lost tourist revenues. I won't go there, but it will be a factor.

Basic business viability principle - you want to keep as many customers as you can by improving customer experience, not making it worse.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

fine . if your going to allow smoking cigs then you have to allow smoking weed. and then drinking. turn them into party boats :130:
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Yep I will never vacation in Victoria again because I'll have to go an hour without having a cigarette.

Be real.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I've always been ashamed of Canadians who act like a flock of sheep. Everything our governments and corporations throw at us that takes away our freedoms needs to be addressed, not simply accepted as something we have no control over. One by one, our civil rights are being ripped away, and what does John Q. Public do? Just shrug and say, "Oh well, what must be must be".

When are we going to grow a collective backbone and stand up to these bullies?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Omnitheo wrote:Yep I will never vacation in Victoria again because I'll have to go an hour without having a cigarette.

Be real.

*removed*

The answer is simple, smokers and pet owners are taxpayers and should be accommodated. Tax payer funded enterprises should be inclusive.

Yes, I make my vacation choices by whether or not I will feel comfortable in the environment. Plenty of nice spots to go *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 1st, 2017, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't make it personal please.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Cactusflower wrote:I've always been ashamed of Canadians who act like a flock of sheep. Everything our governments and corporations throw at us that takes away our freedoms needs to be addressed, not simply accepted as something we have no control over. One by one, our civil rights are being ripped away, and what does John Q. Public do? Just shrug and say, "Oh well, what must be must be".

When are we going to grow a collective backbone and stand up to these bullies?

100%
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

I think all of this is a political agenda of sorts, we see smokers being blamed for much of our wildfire season as well.

These smokers sure are powerful that TPTB want to snuff them out....meanwhile giving heroin to the drug addicts because they really care about everyone's health.

All a bunch of BS.

Smokers are now treated like any other subjugated group. We have all been conditioned to think of smokers as second class undeserving citizens.

Cigarettes are one of the highest taxed products in this country.

They pushed smokers out of everything starting with restaurants, then pubs, aeroplanes, shopping malls, then to the outdoors, parks, sidewalks etc. now ferries.

Meanwhile they spray our skies full to overflowing with toxic heavy metals, same stuff in cigarettes.

All is one massive operation of control.

Who REALLY believes that TPTB care about any ones health in the least?

When was the last fire caused on a ferry by a smoker?

Insurance my thumb!

All the evil smokers burning down the province of BC too.... man what evil, dispose of and impose upon smokers, they don't deserve the same rights as we do...the smokers are killing us!!! Look up in the sky idiots - the military is slow killing us with chemicals all the live long day!

This world is run by evil - as pure as it gets.

RIGHTS? what rights?

Who is the problem? all of you that shout out for the government to create more laws, more restrictions, more baby sitting, more control....what in the name of God is wrong with SO many of you?!

This is not just about no longer smoking on ferries, but its much more than that, much deeper than that.
Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Aug 31st, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

im not against smokers but if they allow tobbacco they have to allow pot and booze . should be some fun times on high seas . :130: :130: and then maybe injection site on level 3 . which im all for .
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

maryjane48 wrote:im not against smokers but if they allow tobbacco they have to allow pot and booze
Why?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I've been on the top deck of the ferry with smokers and you can absolutely smell it, and you have to walk through it. Also, it was windy and their ashes were flying around, in my eye even.

And I am no more opposed to marijuana than I am to cigarettes, they both stink! You wanna vape, I'm okay with both.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I've been on the top deck of the ferry with smokers and you can absolutely smell it, and you have to walk through it. Also, it was windy and their ashes were flying around, in my eye even.

And I am no more opposed to marijuana than I am to cigarettes, they both stink! You wanna vape, I'm okay with both.

really? their ashes were flying around and got in your eye: I absolutely do not believe that ;; I don't smoke ;; I believe in no smoking in ALL closed areas for sure but in designated areas on a open part of a ferry deck ?? now that's just crazy and plain wrong
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

As an x smoker (over 40 years)
I am very happy to see any and all restrictions on tobacco.
Did my share of weed when I was a kid - don't agree with it being legal.

Keep them both out of public spaces for those of us with bad lungs from smoking.

It is way past the time to get rid of tobacco around the world - not just here in BC.

IMO
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Because_They_Lie wrote:I think all of this is a political agenda of sorts, we see smokers being blamed for much of our wildfire season as well.

These smokers sure are powerful that TPTB The Powers That Be?? Really - Another PCT in this context
want to snuff them out....meanwhile giving heroin to the drug addicts because they really care about everyone's health.

All a bunch of BS.

Smokers are now treated like any other subjugated group. We have all been conditioned to think of smokers as second class undeserving citizens. As well they should be in today's world

Cigarettes are one of the highest taxed products in this country. Tax on it is still way too low

They pushed smokers out of everything starting with restaurants, then pubs, aeroplanes, shopping malls, then to the outdoors, parks, sidewalks etc. now ferries. As they should be

Meanwhile they spray our skies full to overflowing with toxic heavy metals, same stuff in cigarettes. PCT (Paranoid Conspiracy theory - No proof only conjecture)

All is one massive operation of control. Not working is it? - Just another PCT

Who REALLY believes that TPTB care about any ones health in the least?

When was the last fire caused on a ferry by a smoker?

Insurance my thumb!

All the evil smokers burning down the province of BC too.... man what evil, dispose of and impose upon smokers, they don't deserve the same rights as we do...the smokers are killing us!!! Look up in the sky idiots - the military is slow killing us with chemicals all the live long day! Again - PCT

This world is run by evil - as pure as it gets.

RIGHTS? what rights?

Who is the problem? all of you that shout out for the government to create more laws, more restrictions, more baby sitting, more control....what in the name of God is wrong with SO many of you?!

This is not just about no longer smoking on ferries, but its much more than that, much deeper than that.

(Edited to clarify an internet shorthand that means nothing with out context)
Last edited by NotNorthAnymore on Aug 31st, 2017, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:As an x smoker (over 40 years)
I am very happy to see any and all restrictions on tobacco.
Did my share of weed when I was a kid - don't agree with it being legal.

Keep them both out of public spaces for those of us with bad lungs from smoking.

It is way past the time to get rid of tobacco around the world - not just here in BC.

IMO

Why? Just because you quit. Hypocrite.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “B.C.”