Ferry smoking

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Ferry smoking

Post by Ken7 »

Contributed - Aug 23, 2017 / 9:49 am | Story: 204837

What are they thinking? They want to ban smoking outside on the decks as the vessel is under way. They also don't want riders sitting in their cars while under way. Why not?

BC Ferries has had a problem being profitable and this won't help any. I'm not a smoker and have no problem with those that do, as long as they are outside. I don't know why BC Ferries is doing this but I don't think it will increase ridership. In my own opinion, I think it's just another over paid executive trying to justify their job.

I guess they never considered if the ferry were to take on water or crash, you might be trapped in your vehicle. I personally as a ex-smoker see no problem having one side of the vessel when powered to be smoking. This sometimes goes overboard! In saying that I do see a real concern when pot becomes legal it stinks.
Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Ferry smoking

Post by Cactusflower »

I think it's time the government took control of BC Ferries again, fired all those nincompoops at the top of the gravy train and put someone with a brain in charge.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

What are they thinking? They want to ban smoking outside on the decks as the vessel is under way. They also don't want riders sitting in their cars while under way. Why not?

It is all about cutting costs.
With people being banned from the vehicle decks, the need for crew to patrol the car decks is lessened. Having areas designated for smoking also cost more with additional custodial services and patrol.

I believe the Ferry Corp can also carry less insurance on certain ships with these up coming changes.

I am not in favor of either change BTW.
I think some accommodation should be made for smokers....and I enjoy setting the kids up with a movie in the vehicle after some grub and a walk up on decks.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I think it's time the government took control of BC Ferries again, fired all those nincompoops at the top of the gravy train and put someone with a brain in charge.

Not a good idea.
My father's retirement job was to work as a Relief Master (Basically a substitute captain to cover vacationing full time crew) with B.C ferries during the 90's.
Having come from private companies, he was shocked with how poorly the Crown Corp B.C Ferries was being run. The BCFC was incredibly bloated with personnel and being run in a wasteful and inefficient manner. He joked that "the secretaries had secretaries" and the ratio of shore support staff too actual ship crew was way out of wack.

He figured that the partial privatization of the Corp saved it from collapse after years of bleeding.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cactusflower wrote:I think it's time the government took control of BC Ferries again, fired all those nincompoops at the top of the gravy train and put someone with a brain in charge.

Well if you ever find someone in Government with a brain then let us know.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

That's exactly how it's been run ever since Campbell semi-privatized it, Leifer. The new government needs to get rid of all those useless top executives, much like they're doing at ICBC.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Omg 40 minutes without smoking while taking the ferry

#mylifeisover
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not impressed with one woman who wasn't bothered that dogs would be left in vehicles unattended but was extremely upset that she wouldn't be able to smoke. Most transit has zero smoking policy so I can understand no smoking on ferries but the dog issue is another story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Upgraded pet-friendly areas, which are on car decks, will include kennels, radiant heating, comfortable benches, hygiene products and powerful new speakers to ensure safety announcements can be heard.

Kennels will give pet owners the option of remaining with their pet in the designated pet area, or leaving them in a locked kennel there during the sailing.

Walk-on passengers must currently remain with their animals in designated pet areas during the crossing.

Dogs must remain on leash and under the owners’ care in the pet area during sailings, and all other pets, including cats, ferrets and birds, must be in a carrying case.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't use the pet area as it is and wouldn't leave my dog unattended. It's too hot down below without openings and I'm just glad the ferries we've been on were the open type.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Fancy wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't use the pet area as it is and wouldn't leave my dog unattended. It's too hot down below without openings and I'm just glad the ferries we've been on were the open type.

i have never taken a pet on a ferry. having said that they have to provide a humane area . if not phone police and spca .
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:That's exactly how it's been run ever since Campbell semi-privatized it, Leifer. The new government needs to get rid of all those useless top executives, much like they're doing at ICBC.

Oh give me a break the NDP is simply getting rid of Liberal placed executives, and putting in their own cronies wherever possible. That's going to change pretty much nothing, and in fact if it does cause changes they'll be for the worse, given the NDP appointed personnel are more often than not completely unsuited for the position they are in.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wheres your links to prove that techie ? or are you trying to imply your opinion is somehow a fact?

what we do know is the bclibs had ferrys built without proper areas for pets .
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maryjane48 wrote:wheres your links to prove that techie ? or are you trying to imply your opinion is somehow a fact?

Been your approach for over 10K posts so keep in mind that thing about throwing stones when you live in a glass house. :biggrin:

At least my opinions are rooted in fact which is far more than can be said for the lion's share of your stuff.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Omnitheo wrote:Omg 40 minutes without smoking while taking the ferry

#mylifeisover

Some of the BC Ferry routes are 8-16 hours sailing time.

The no smoking on ferries thing is a "soup nazi" thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi

"The Soup Nazi is also the nickname of the eponymous character, Yev Kassem, played by Larry Thomas. The term "Nazi" is used as an exaggeration of the excessively strict regimentation he constantly demands of his patrons."
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”