BC First Nations take action

Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: BC First Nations take action

Post by Rider59 »

maryjane48 wrote:actualy personal experiance equals the facts on the ground. WRONG!!!!!!again. It equals a personal biased view based on ones experiences there. You and I could be there but have completely different views. Take a look at crime witnesses, very seldom do they get it right or have consistent stories. plus there is no private buyers anymore like there was. it all goes through canfisco. proofs in the pudding. if we were to look and see if anyone from canfisco gave money to bclibs what you think we would find ? :smt045
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Bigdaddy2290

Post by Bigdaddy2290 »

Not sure how we got on to contaminated mussels and shellfish? These are brought into the province in the ballast water of the thousands of freighters that come to Canada from the Far East. It has nothing to do with Atlantic salmon farms. I am sorry that it is difficult to argue (?) (Discuss) this with somebody that has personal experience.... all it means is I know some of the back story.
Landbased farms will need to pump water using LOTS of electricity. To help ease the economics they recirculate 95% of their water this makes the water the fish are being raised in look awful. You are often lucky is you can see the fish. How much outrage would that picture generate in the press? A second sticking point is that fish poop. Two things here: firstly in on land that poop is filtered out - and then taken where? A composting plant? Problems with this is that now you may be contaminating a local aquifer and you certainly have a smell issue. The second point is arguable....but interesting. It involves nutrient cycling. When fish are removed from the ocean (wild fishery -where they eat wild things) this removes nitrogen from the marine environment. In the old days First Nations returned the fish offal to the stream where they were caught. This helped. In modern times all of the offal goes off to rendering plants and compost facilities - so catfood or gardens. This drain of nitrogen from the marine environment is of concern to a lot of scientists.
I will not argue that open net pens are the answer - only that they are no where near as damaging as they are portayed by fundraising "environmental" groups.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Thank you, Big Daddy, for reinforcing the fact that Atlantic salmon farms don't belong on the Pacific coast. I was originally concerned mainly with the open net pens, but since reading your comment I realize that you'reright. There should be no Atlantic salmon farms out here........period. We should be following Alaska's lead.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://crosscut.com/2017/08/everything- ... northwest/

and lets not forget them ocean pen fish are pollutting right into the ocean . the answer is probably not to farm fish and properly look after our wild stocks. :130:
Bigdaddy2290

Post by Bigdaddy2290 »

Cactus flower - you are still skimming.

Never said they don't belong. We need to farm fish we cannot live off the wild fishery, with the catches going up and down every year I suspect it will end up being conservation and First Nations only very soon (see the Fraser this year). The Atlantic is a domestic animal that takes well to farming. It's survival is 95% whereas chinook and coho were around 30-50% when they were farmed. It would be like telling you that you cannot buy or raise your own chickens, everybody needs to go out and shoot a wild bird. Disastrous - yes. And who would feed the cities?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Have you ever asked why the Pacific salmon runs are decreasing? The answer is not that they are being over-fished. It's because they're being infected with pathogens from the Atlantin open net farms. It's time you read some research done by Alex Morton, and the results of the Cohen Commission's court decision.

Alaska has banned these disgusting Atlantic salmon farms and have devised a method of keeping their wild Pacific salmon stocks healthy. In fact, if you look on the labels of the Pacific salmon you buy in the supermarket you' ll see that most of it comes from Alaska.
Bigdaddy2290

Post by Bigdaddy2290 »

I have read the Cohen Commission report (and the Federal white paper before that) and I have read the Farmed and Dangerous website (Mr Stanifor has been deported for criminal lies) and I have listened to and talked with Alexandra Morton.
I know that you have not read the Cohen report and that you only read the easy to read lies of Stanifor.
So one last question then I will quit this:

If the farms are poison and without them the wildfish will be wonderful because nothing else affects them then why was the 2010 Fraser sockeye run an all time record?

Cheers
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it works on every 4 or 5 year cycle. but it is a useless point to make sonce atlantic salmon are not native to pacific. they are an invasive species . the fact you talked to all these people points to you having a stake in the fish farms .

fair enough. but why take risks ? we wont feed the world with fish . it isnt the answer
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

maryjane48 wrote:it works on every 4 or 5 year cycle. but it is a useless point to make sonce atlantic salmon are not native to pacific. they are an invasive species . the fact you talked to all these people points to you having a stake in the fish farms .

fair enough. but why take risks ? we wont feed the world with fish . it isnt the answer

We take the risks because we won't feed the world without fish either

Return to “B.C.”