48776
47869

BC First Nations take action

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Bigdaddy2290 » Aug 30th, 2017, 7:39 pm

http://klemtu.com/economic-development/seafoods/

Here is your link cactusflower, lots more if you want them. And i have no skin in the game I just read the whole article and look at who wrote it and then wonder what their possible motivations might be.
Bigdaddy2290
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Aug 28th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 30th, 2017, 8:03 pm

my mom worked at klemto and knows them folks . for years are govts let them rot for lack of better word . so of course when a bribe came along they bought into it as they had nothing . canfisco is a joke . they purposly for years drove the price of fish down so they could force the smaller fish buyers , packers out of the game to get a monopoly. what these bands need is real investment and not this type of exploytation. im all for land based but it should be eestern fish being raised. not atlantic fish .

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Cactusflower » Aug 30th, 2017, 8:40 pm

That link only proves that thoseFirstNations on the Central coast are involved in the processing of wild seafood and farmed salmon. It has nothing to do with what's happening around Vancouver Island and the mainland inlets. That's what this topic is about. And I think you would be wise to read the link that my provided, "Farmed and Dangeroous".

I have only one question about that article: Why weren't the Cohen recommendations implemented?
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby BeingHuman » Aug 31st, 2017, 2:14 am

Walking Wounded wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:boils down to clark taking money from the fish farms. thats a fact
. what isnt proven is dept of fisheries accepting money from same fish farms. until you provide a link showing fish farms giving money to dept of fisheries , it isnt part this topic :130:

You have a link to your so called fact?


"Several party donors and insiders told The Globe that (political contribution) law is routinely skirted by scores of individuals who represent special interests, and made donations (to the BC Liberal Party) for which they are reimbursed. One of Mr. Jiles' clients is the B.C. Salmon Farmer's Association. Its executive director said the lobbyist sometimes buys fundraiser tickets for its members in his name, then the association pays him back."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/i ... dmail.com&
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom

2 people like this post.
BeingHuman
Board Meister
 
Posts: 685
Likes: 709 posts
Liked in: 512 posts
Joined: Apr 11th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Bigdaddy2290 » Aug 31st, 2017, 7:15 pm

Well Cactus Flower you argue in circles so it is impossible. You said "provide a link where First Nations work with fish farms" so I did. Then you say its not good enough because it is Central Coast and says nothing about then mainland coast.. what? Klemtu is the mainland and is on the coast.
Then you swing around and start attacking the wild fish industry because they drove prices down and neglected the town and people. So it is easy to say that the people in Klemtu should never have taken the jobs or any jobs from farms, but then we live comfortably don't we, so it easy for you to call the partnership and jobs " a bribe" and say they should have stayed in poverty/
\\
Twenty percent of the people working on fish farms are First Nations. GIve me an example of another industry that has tried so hard to include them.
Bigdaddy2290
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Aug 28th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Cactusflower » Aug 31st, 2017, 7:26 pm

First of all, please go back and re-read my comment. I didn't write any of those things you accuse me of saying. This topic is about the First Nations who have taken action against the Atlantic salmon farms in their territory, and that's what we should be discussing. I applaud these First Nations and I think all British Columbians should join them in getting those farms out of our coastal waters. The only First Nations I know of in the areas we were discussing are the ones who are raising salmon in a land-based operation, and that's how it should be.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 31st, 2017, 11:05 pm

Bigdaddy2290 wrote:Well Cactus Flower you argue in circles so it is impossible. You said "provide a link where First Nations work with fish farms" so I did. Then you say its not good enough because it is Central Coast and says nothing about then mainland coast.. what? Klemtu is the mainland and is on the coast.
Then you swing around and start attacking the wild fish industry because they drove prices down and neglected the town and people. So it is easy to say that the people in Klemtu should never have taken the jobs or any jobs from farms, but then we live comfortably don't we, so it easy for you to call the partnership and jobs " a bribe" and say they should have stayed in poverty/
\\
Twenty percent of the people working on fish farms are First Nations. GIve me an example of another industry that has tried so hard to include them.

no that was me and i wasnt attacking you. i was filling in the gaps. canfisco drove prices down for all indapendant fish buyers and and sellers how do i know you may ask ? because i saw it with my own eyes when i worked on a fish packing boat owned by my mom . when we set our price higher than canfisco they threatened my mom . the only thing that saved a tragic situation from happening is my mom knew a dept of fisheries boat captin in the area from outpost nursing on bc coast .


he came over and protected my moms boat . after that we said screw it and sold the boat . wasnt worth becoming dead .

at any rate atlantic salmon should stay in the atlantic. the folks of klemtu are good people and a land based operation is the right choice . :130:
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:11 am

Thanks for backing me up, mj. It's hard to argue with someone who has personal experience on
a subject, but still there are those who try. I sure hope those First Nations who are occupying the salmon farms are successful in getting the governments' ears
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Rider59 » Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:29 am

Cactusflower wrote:Thanks for backing me up, mj. It's hard to argue with someone who has personal experience on
a subject, but still there are those who try. I sure hope those First Nations who are occupying the salmon farms are successful in getting the governments' ears


personal experience = personal bias (in most cases)
Rider59
Board Meister
 
Posts: 357
Likes: 206 posts
Liked in: 339 posts
Joined: Aug 17th, 2016, 9:02 am

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:55 am

User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:58 am

actualy personal experiance equals the facts on the ground. plus there is no private buyers anymore like there was. it all goes through canfisco. proofs in the pudding. if we were to look and see if anyone from canfisco gave money to bclibs what you think we would find ? :smt045

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby LordEd » Sep 2nd, 2017, 12:21 pm

maryjane48 wrote:if we were to look and see if anyone from canfisco gave money to bclibs what you think we would find ? :smt045

http://contributions.electionsbc.gov.bc ... earch.aspx
Came up empty. Did a few variations. Feel free to try again if I'm wrong.

I don't trust your interpretation of anything and frequently can counter easily so why would I believe what you claim happens on the ground?
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3360
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1869 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:22 am

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby rustled » Sep 2nd, 2017, 12:36 pm

rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4333
Likes: 5415 posts
Liked in: 4360 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 2nd, 2017, 2:53 pm

BeingHuman wrote:
"Several party donors and insiders told The Globe that (political contribution) law is routinely skirted by scores of individuals who represent special interests, and made donations (to the BC Liberal Party) for which they are reimbursed. One of Mr. Jiles' clients is the B.C. Salmon Farmer's Association. Its executive director said the lobbyist sometimes buys fundraiser tickets for its members in his name, then the association pays him back."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/i ... dmail.com&

Nothing about money going to fish farms there. All that shows is the sketchy way the liberals were fundraising, exactly the same way the NDP are doing now, even though they promised to change the way it's done.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 704
Likes: 3382 posts
Liked in: 865 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

Re: BC First Nations take action

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 2nd, 2017, 3:03 pm

the point isnt money going to fishfarms . it is who lifted the moratorium and why . and the fix is easy . in land and with pacific fish . then theres no chance or very little of cross contamination. no one wants invasive clams in lakes so why risk it with fish ? because no one is in the invasive clams mussles lobby when the bclibs were in power
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2498 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikest2, Omnitheo, seewood, stuphoto and 5 guests