46122
45104

Why the NDP is in power now

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby JagXKR » Aug 31st, 2017, 12:05 pm

maryjane48 wrote:lol well mabey in 4 years the bclibs might come up with a non corrupt leader and have a chance at winning. if you think the greens will side with the current bclibs your dreaming. [icon_lol2.gif]


You mean the best Premier ever, right? Basically ran the entire government by herself, according to some on this forum. Amazing woman to run a Province completely alone.
Horgan the Horrible will go down in flames in 1 year or less. Unholy alliance is the only reason the NDG is governing. Plain and simple.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 508
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 329 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby hobbyguy » Aug 31st, 2017, 12:45 pm

The NDP "participation award" government is there because:

1. They sucked in voters with a massive and false vote mining operation. The most important one being the "no bridge tolls" - that has now morphed into "no bridge tolls except from NDP mayors Gregor and Derek et al". Without the "no bridge tolls" nonsense - the Liberals have a majority.
2. They sucked Andrew Weaver into believing they would be honorable partners. That's gone already.

It will not last. It is already becoming a disaster and they have not yet passed a single piece of legislation.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

4 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6091
Likes: 1535 posts
Liked in: 4558 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Old Techie » Aug 31st, 2017, 12:50 pm

hobbyguy wrote:The NDP "participation award" government is there because:

1. They sucked in voters with a massive and false vote mining operation. The most important one being the "no bridge tolls" - that has now morphed into "no bridge tolls except from NDP mayors Gregor and Derek et al". Without the "no bridge tolls" nonsense - the Liberals have a majority.
2. They sucked Andrew Weaver into believing they would be honorable partners. That's gone already.

It will not last. It is already becoming a disaster and they have not yet passed a single piece of legislation.


About the only thing the NDP is good at passing is gas.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1551
Likes: 1213 posts
Liked in: 1894 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Cactusflower » Aug 31st, 2017, 1:09 pm

May I suggest waiting until the first sitting of the legislature before adding anymore sour grapes comments?

2 people like this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 266
Likes: 202 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Jlabute » Aug 31st, 2017, 3:32 pm

RECONCILIATION OF GROSS BORROWING TO THE CHANGE IN DEBT
2016/2017 2017/2018 2018/2019 2019/2020
Opening balance as at March 31.................................... 65,292 66,666 69,787 73,458

Gross increase in debt ……………...................................... 3,741 5,877 7,540 7,379

Net change in provincial debt……….................................. 1,374 3,121 3,670 4,231

Ending balance as at March 31…................................... 66,666 69,787 73,458 77,689

Our debt will increase by 11B by the time the NDP even figure it out.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

Rider59 likes this post.
User avatar
Jlabute
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 980
Likes: 437 posts
Liked in: 505 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Rwede » Aug 31st, 2017, 3:38 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 31st, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11482
Likes: 8896 posts
Liked in: 4722 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am
Location: is everything!

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 31st, 2017, 5:21 pm

The 'surplus' can easily be explained:
Attachments
surplus.JPG
surplus.JPG (42.07 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

3 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19009
Likes: 4902 posts
Liked in: 5446 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 2nd, 2017, 12:34 am

FF - that's simplistic nonsense.

Schools were closed because of declining enrollment.

AND if you ever actually looked the financial statements, the current surplus has 0, oops that's a number, better say zero from ICBC and very little from BC Hydro because the legislation for dividends from BC Hydro automatically chops the dividends when the BC Hydro debt/equity ratio hits a trigger level, which it did with borrowing for site C.

The NDP are not going to chop MSP rates any further than they already have been.

What weakened environmental standards? Post a link to the legislation please.

As usual, just NDP talking points that make no sense.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6091
Likes: 1535 posts
Liked in: 4558 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby rustled » Sep 2nd, 2017, 8:28 am

^^Simplistic nonsense, indeed. I'd add, clawbacks from those on disability were significantly reduced in the last term as well. We're watching to see whether the NDP can make further improvements now that they're in power.

It's easy to promise $100 more a month ($50 more than the government already in power was promising) in order to attain power, but a lot more difficult to successfully implement more significant improvements.

It's one thing to throw cash at folk to grasp power for your party, and quite another to genuinely empower others.

Smurf likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4138
Likes: 4821 posts
Liked in: 4021 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby The Green Barbarian » Sep 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

hobbyguy wrote:FF - that's simplistic nonsense.

.


The nonsense has to be simplistic for the NDP sheep to be continued to be controlled.
Pierre Trudeau was an epic disaster for Canada. Like father like son.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23061
Likes: 8286 posts
Liked in: 9921 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Bigdaddy2290 » Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:02 am

Jlabute - your commas are all over the place.. so I missed your point.

Each party has their favourite ventures and pour money into those. Google "provincial debt vs GDP" and you will see that the years the NDP were in power were just as awful as the Liberals. Each party just tries to buy votes.
Bigdaddy2290
 
Posts: 14
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Aug 28th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby rustled » Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:07 am

Bigdaddy2290 wrote:Jlabute - your commas are all over the place.. so I missed your point.

Each party has their favourite ventures and pour money into those. Google "provincial debt vs GDP" and you will see that the years the NDP were in power were just as awful as the Liberals. Each party just tries to buy votes.


(My bold.) If you click on "quote" in posts like this, the columns line up in your reply pane, and you can see how the table should read.

ETA: Sorry this is a bit off-topic, Mods, but: to make tables behave, use periods instead of spaces. Still not perfect, but easier to read. Maybe other folk have a simpler and more consistent solution?
Jlabute wrote:RECONCILIATION OF GROSS BORROWING TO THE CHANGE IN DEBT
.................................................................. 2016/2017 .... 2017/2018 ..... 2018/2019 ... 2019/2020
Opening balance as at March 31........................ 65,292 ........ 66,666 ..... 69,787 ....... 73,458

Gross increase in debt ........................................ 3,741 .......... 5,877 ....... 7,540 ......... 7,379

Net change in provincial debt............................... 1,374 .......... 3,121 ........ 3,670 ....... 4,231

Ending balance as at March 31…........................ 66,666 .......... 69,787 ...... 73,458 ...... 77,689

Our debt will increase by 11B by the time the NDP even figure it out.

Smurf likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4138
Likes: 4821 posts
Liked in: 4021 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 2nd, 2017, 10:20 am

The NDP is in power now because enough people were sick and tired of the way the BCLP were running (ruining) this province. Those who were happy with how our province was being run were either blind, or simply blindly partisan.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 266
Likes: 202 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby Old Techie » Sep 2nd, 2017, 10:56 am

Cactusflower wrote:The NDP is in power now because enough people were sick and tired of the way the BCLP were running (ruining) this province. Those who were happy with how our province was being run were either blind, or simply blindly partisan.


Or they were simply competent enough to grasp that a vibrant economy is a good thing for everyone. Something the NDP do their utmost to trash supported by their clueless minions.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1551
Likes: 1213 posts
Liked in: 1894 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:06 am

It all came down to bridge tolls and a back room deal that resulted in a "participation award" government.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-votes-2017-results-surrey-1.4103524

"Brar was able to win one of the closest swing ridings in the 2017 B.C. election.

He attributed his victory to the NDP's promise to eliminate tolls on local bridges..."

Brar softened his comment a bit, but the first thing he mentions in his tight victory is the bridge tolls. That single seat alone, and there is no "participation award" government.

So the NDP used a bad policy decision, and it is a bad policy decision, to mine for votes. In the end, they are going to allow NDP Gregor and NDP Derek to reach into the pockets of Surrey voters, and take the toll money anyway.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/to-toll-or-not-to-toll-is-that-the-election-question/ . https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/elimination-of-bridge-tolls-raises-questions/

"Meantime, Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver – whose party formed an alliance with the NDP after the May 9 election to defeat the BC Liberals – called the removal of the tolls “reckless.”

“There is no question that the affordability crisis facing so many British Columbians is a significant concern,” Weaver said in a news release. “However, this policy is high cost and low impact. There are lots of good, high return-on-investments decisions that government can make, such as education, student housing and child care. It is disappointing that the first major measure that this government has taken to make life more affordable for British Columbians will add billions of dollars to taxpayer-supported debt.”"

Meanwhile, businesses and corporations get a nice tax cut. 3/4 of the tolls were paid by commercial traffic...
Meanwhile the province gets to add $3.7 billion+ in taxpayer supported debt, which may affect the credit rating and drive up costs even more than the apparent debt servicing costs...
Meanwhile the province has 200 million in revenue missing...

See how easy it is to mess up a budget balance. The NDP are really good at giving the appearance of doing something, but in fact doing nothing but managing to add costs and kill jobs.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

3 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6091
Likes: 1535 posts
Liked in: 4558 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests