More BS Courtesy of the BCTF!

Urban Cowboy
Guru

More BS Courtesy of the BCTF!

Post by Urban Cowboy »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/205510 ... e-teachers

"Unfortunately, because of the affordability issues in this province and the fact that teachers in B.C. are paid significantly less than teachers in other parts of the country, it is really a difficult pitch to make to people who are graduating from teacher education programs to come out to B.C.," Hansman said.

Cry me a river Hansman!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Veovis
Guru

Re: More BS Courtesy of the BCTF!

Post by Veovis »

Yet the teachers are paid considerably more than most people in the country is a nice detail left out.

Add to the fact I watched a pile of teachers start last year at my kids school. Did they all quit over the summer and school boards did nothing.

Just wow, false doom and gloom is all the BCTF spews.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Veovis wrote:Just wow, false doom and gloom is all the BCTF spews.

My point exactly.

I don't think any of these BCTF clowns are capable of forming a sentence, that doesn't contain an attack against government.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Much like the USA has found the BCTF has learned if you keep the teachers scared and in a mental state of always "at war" you'll not look at what is actually happening in the BCTF.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

No teachers? What about all those unemployable teachers with useless teaching degrees sitting on sub lists that never get a job unless they're lucky?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Maybe they forgot this gem when crying for money last time.
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=56935

The good times don't stop there. You will then have to apply for a job with one of the many school districts in BC only there have been so many budget cuts and class size increases by the BC government that there is a surplus of graduates and not enough teaching jobs. So all that work and money I just spent getting my degree, earns me the privilege of going to work in a coffee shop for minimum wage. But that is okay hopefully in the next five years you will find a job and then, it is nothing but smooth sailing! Oh well at least I might one day become a highly paid and well respected teacher!
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

I would also bet that a good number of the people graduating see the BCTF for the utter bafoons they really are. Then leave the province so they don't have to deal with them.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Most teachers have 5-7 years of post secondary education. Compared to others who have that level of education, they are not overpaid when compared to professions who require similar levels of post-secondary.

And I can't recall exactly, but I do believe that BC teachers are paid the second worst in the country next to Newfoundland, in one of the Provinces with some of the highest costs of living.

A teacher teaching full time after 10 years of full time contracted teaching (often on a sub list for 3 years+ as a sub) makes about $63,000 a year.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Ah yes, the lasting gift of stupidity from Adrian Dix and the BC NDP.

More teachers, by the way, does NOT equal better educational outcomes. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/the-real-issue-in-ontarios-schools-the-teachers-need-to-be-taught-math/article36136069/

For those stuck at the paywall:

"The real issue in Ontario’s schools: The teachers need to be taught math"

SNIP

"Prof. Orpwood and Prof. Brown found that 83 per cent of grade 3 teachers and 80 per cent of grade 6 teachers have no postsecondary background in mathematics. They wrote, "Ontario's teachers are, in our view, as professional and dedicated as teachers anywhere in the world. However, in common with teachers in many other jurisdictions, most Ontario teachers are not provided with the training required for effective mathematics teaching.""

SNIP

"That day in Grade 8, when I was writing down the steps I had taken to solve the question – determine the diameter of the circle, determine how many times this number could fit along the length and the width of the metal sheet without overlapping, draw a diagram to illustrate my point – my classmates started to protest. This was not the answer they were expecting. The teacher intervened, asked me to erase my solution and sit down. Another student provided the expected answer by simply dividing the area of the metal sheet by the area of the circle.

Later, my teacher brought the other Grade 8 teachers to see the solution I had written in my notebook. They told me that my answer was the one provided in the teacher's manual, but they had always thought it was incorrect because they did not know how it had been achieved. They asked to photocopy my work for future reference because they had been teaching it incorrectly up until they saw my solution."
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:
A teacher teaching full time after 10 years of full time contracted teaching (often on a sub list for 3 years+ as a sub) makes about $63,000 a year.

Not bad for 9 months work, and all the benefits.
Bnoel
Fledgling

Post by Bnoel »

With benefits and pension, teachers make close to $100k per year. Much higher than the average taxpayer earns. Move if you cannot afford to live here. There is a huge amount of subs waiting to take your jobs. More importantly, you should be fighting for more funding for curriculum, rather than for yourself.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Despite what so many people "think", the benefits are pretty standard. I have had comparable benefits when working private sector in fact. There are some odd benefits to be sure when compared with some packages, but the things that we seem to get an unusual amount of tend to be rather odd quite frankly. As far as Dental and medical, pretty darn standard as I am happy with the benefits, but I am serious when I say I have had just as good and better from private.

Sure, we have great vacation, no denying it. But every official vacation slot has several days prep for the upcoming term. It's never as much as people think.

And lastly, I think $63,000 a year for 5-7 years post-secondary and 10 years of full time work, plus 3+ years of subbing to even get the isn't bad, but it's not extravagant either. I have again made much more working private with similar credentials.

The only teachers making $100k a year have a Masters and 20+ years of service
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Your $63,000 is waayyyy off the mark in average teacher salaries. but nice try though.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Um, no it's not, I see the pay stubs
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Sure, we have great vacation, no denying it. But every official vacation slot has several days prep for the upcoming term. It's never as much as people think.

I'll feel really bad about that while I keep supporting my work by phone and email on my upcoming standard length vacation.

That and when I have to use vacation time the next time the province is held hostage.

Return to “B.C.”