45143
46017

Residents want answers

Re: Residents want answers

Postby seewood » Sep 13th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Btfsplck wrote:It amuses me how some here think they know what they're talking about when it comes to wild fire fighting, when all they actually know is bias' based on their political leanings.


No kidding. I continually shake my head when posters continually spew :cuss: about politics when the men and women who sometimes face dangerous situations are not part of the discussion.
Fires in the 90's or early 70's were all fought with what was available at the time to the very best of their abilities. In the 70's there were using vintage WW2 aircraft....TBM Avengers for example or A- 26's ( late in the war mind you)
New here, but some of the posters remind me of the 3 monkeys with their hands over mouth, eyes and ears.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Fledgling
 
Posts: 256
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 214 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 13th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Btfsplck wrote:It amuses me how some here think they know what they're talking about when it comes to wild fire fighting, when all they actually know is bias' based on their political leanings.

it amuses me when its clear how the bclibs handed out contracts based on who put more money in their kitty that it gets defended when its the folks of bc who should be top concern :smt045

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14903
Likes: 9394 posts
Liked in: 2320 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:15 pm

The condescension on this thread does not amuse me. Some commenters are asking questions about the methods used by the BC Wildfire Service in their fire-fighting decisions. There's nothing political about that. Just today on Global News, there was a Summerland landowner who was understandably upset that the BC Wildfire Service did what he considered an unwarranted controlled burn on his property which destroyed his drinking water system. There are many such instances of incompetence, such as up in the Cariboo when ranchland and livestock were destroyed by a similar controlled burn that went awry.

The government must investigate this incompetence in the BC Wildfire Service before next fire season. Which one of you fire-fighting 'experts' are going to debate that?

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 231
Likes: 179 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Cactusflower wrote:The condescension on this thread does not amuse me. Some commenters are asking questions about the methods used by the BC Wildfire Service in their fire-fighting decisions. There's nothing political about that. Just today on Global News, there was a Summerland landowner who was understandably upset that the BC Wildfire Service did what he considered an unwarranted controlled burn on his property which destroyed his drinking water system. There are many such instances of incompetence, such as up in the Cariboo when ranchland and livestock were destroyed by a similar controlled burn that went awry.

The government must investigate this incompetence in the BC Wildfire Service before next fire season. Which one of you fire-fighting 'experts' are going to debate that?


The only incompetence going on is the people who know absolutely nothing about fighting a wild fire constantly criticizing the people who are trying their best to save homes, I am frankly sick and tired of it, if you think you can do better get off you butt and get out on the fire line, or shut the hell up. Just saw that same story on global. The guy was upset and complaining that the guard and controlled burn was not needed but at the end of the story they mention a neighbor who said they believed it was needed. The fire fighters did nothing wrong, in a state of emergency they are allowed on private property to do as they will to fight the fire. This guy bitching about his water system being destroyed should be happy he still has a house to go home too. But he would probably be complaining they did nothing if his house was lost.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Board Meister
 
Posts: 597
Likes: 2678 posts
Liked in: 563 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:52 pm

lol fire fighters are human and make mistakes . then compound that with a political party making mistakes based on who donated the most amount of money equals potencial negligence . starting a controlled burn in a summer like we had is risky and can and did go wrong . people lost their livly hoods up around elephant hill fire and houses because of incompetince and your telling them to shut up ? .. i will be awaiting the news story of you going in person to 100mile and ashcroft and telling them folks with ashes for a house to shut up . i suggest wearing a bullet proof vest though [icon_lol2.gif]
User avatar
maryjane48
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14903
Likes: 9394 posts
Liked in: 2320 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:17 pm

maryjane48 wrote:lol fire fighters are human and make mistakes . then compound that with a political party making mistakes based on who donated the most amount of money equals potencial negligence . starting a controlled burn in a summer like we had is risky and can and did go wrong . people lost their livly hoods up around elephant hill fire and houses because of incompetince and your telling them to shut up ? .. i will be awaiting the news story of you going in person to 100mile and ashcroft and telling them folks with ashes for a house to shut up . i suggest wearing a bullet proof vest though [icon_lol2.gif]

Starting a controlled burn in the path of an already burning fire is a common practice, blaming the people who are putting their lives on the line to save other people's STUFF is a very selfish attitude. Maybe the fire fighters should have just said, screw this and all went home to their families and their stuff instead of risking their own lives for strangers stuff, just to end up with being criticized for doing their job.

rustled likes this post.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Board Meister
 
Posts: 597
Likes: 2678 posts
Liked in: 563 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:19 pm

well if thats what they want to do then let them. but still you havnt answered when you going to 100 miles to tell them folks to shut up as you put it . i will call global so they can cover your great speech
User avatar
maryjane48
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14903
Likes: 9394 posts
Liked in: 2320 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 13th, 2017, 7:46 pm

maryjane48 wrote:well if thats what they want to do then let them. but still you havnt answered when you going to 100 miles to tell them folks to shut up as you put it . i will call global so they can cover your great speech


When are you ever going to do anything except get stoned and *bleep* and complain? I'm not going to 100 mile house. Yes the people there that lost their homes are very upset, I can understand that after losing everything I owned in a house fire almost 30 yrs ago.and yes I lost everything as I was young and not all that smart because I had no insurance. But did I blame the firefighters who were trying to save my stuff? No I thanked them for trying their best. Did I whine because I had no insurance and start a go fund me site? No I learned from my mistakes and moved on. These people that have lost their homes do have a tough time ahead of them and blaming the people who were trying to help them isn't going to help anyone. They need to band together and just get er done.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Board Meister
 
Posts: 597
Likes: 2678 posts
Liked in: 563 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I didn't ask for a diatribe on how rotten people are for criticizing the BC Wildfire Service. I asked if you think mistakes are made by the PEOPLE IN CHARGE of the fire-fighters. I don't need to don a hard hat, or carry a pick and shovel to see that these guys are being ordered to go places and do things that are questionable, to say the least. I have friends and family who are working at the Kamloops Fire Centre as we discuss this. They probably know more than you or I what's going on up there.

BTW, that holier-than-thou attitude won't strengthen your argument one bit.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 231
Likes: 179 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Walking Wounded » Sep 13th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I didn't ask for a diatribe on how rotten people are for criticizing the BC Wildfire Service. I asked if you think mistakes are made by the PEOPLE IN CHARGE of the fire-fighters. I don't need to don a hard hat, or carry a pick and shovel to see that these guys are being ordered to go places and do things that are questionable, to say the least. I have friends and family who are working at the Kamloops Fire Centre as we discuss this. They probably know more than you or I what's going on up there.

BTW, that holier-than-thou attitude won't strengthen your argument one bit.says the kettle to the pot

Well why don't you just ask your friends and family what the hell is going on then. Sure mistakes are made, if they start a back burn and the wind stay steady? Great good job. If the wind takes a sudden change all of a sudden they are an idiot who should be fired. You couldn't pay me enough

seewood likes this post.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Board Meister
 
Posts: 597
Likes: 2678 posts
Liked in: 563 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:25 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 13th, 2017, 11:01 pm

The topic is, 'Residents want answers'. What is your answer to the problematic wildfire situation in B.C.? Getting your knickers in a twist and yelling at people who are looking for answers isn't helping.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 231
Likes: 179 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby fluffy » Sep 14th, 2017, 4:56 am

Everybody has the right to question government decisions, that's part of the democratic process, but I question those who don't accept the answers they are given even when there is ample evidence to support that answer. If you've already made up your mind what the answer should be before you ask the question then your true motivation is highly suspect.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.

6 people like this post.
User avatar
fluffy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18655
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 3266 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2006, 5:42 pm
Location: Ogo

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Old Techie » Sep 14th, 2017, 8:28 am

fluffy wrote:Everybody has the right to question government decisions, that's part of the democratic process, but I question those who don't accept the answers they are given even when there is ample evidence to support that answer. If you've already made up your mind what the answer should be before you ask the question then your true motivation is highly suspect.


10/10 :up:
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

2 people like this post.
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1533
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 1857 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby seewood » Sep 14th, 2017, 8:55 am

The Pablum continually spewing from a poster about liberals corruption is really tiring.
Hey, guess what... all the fire bosses in BC this year voted NDP..... It's the NDP's fault the wind shifted and caused a back burn to go awry.... makes the same sense eh....
There is no end to the hyperbole regarding this years fire season. Being involved in the fires in 2003, there was no shortage of similar hyperbole then as well. Some recommendations were made in the resulting report and some of those recommendations were followed through on and some were not and some only partially.
I was involved in a decision regarding removing medium and large fuels being removed around a jurisdiction that was identified as having a real interface issue. Guess what? The money available for this jurisdictions and the other 150 or so jurisdictions was not going to be enough. The logs harvested and sold didn't cover the harvesting costs.

Am I an expert on all things fire....no, not by any stretch. However 20 years as a structure fire fighter and being in command on a number of interface fires, I do have a good handle about what we and all officers are taught regarding Risk vs. Benefit in making a decision to reach and complete an objective. NEVER GAMBLE.( chance of success less than 50% ) And, political affiliation does not make one iota of difference in trying to reach that objective.
Contrary to the poster who thinks political affiliation is important to decisions in fire fighting and the resources available, I just have to say, you are soooo wrong. I know you won't agree but it is a fact :smt045
I am not wealthy but I am rich

5 people like this post.
seewood
Fledgling
 
Posts: 256
Likes: 123 posts
Liked in: 214 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: Residents want answers

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 14th, 2017, 9:13 am

What exactly is that 'ample evidence'? BC Wildfire Service says the wind came up AFTER the controlled burn was set; the ranchers say the wind was blowing WHILE the controlled burn was being set. Both were on the scene at the time. I believe the ranchers; you believe the spokesperson for the BC Wildfire Service. Why do you think that person is more credible than the ranchers?

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 231
Likes: 179 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cactusflower, Jlabute and 14 guests