Residents want answers

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Residents want answers

Post by maryjane48 »

http://globalnews.ca/news/3714318/pressy-lake/

and i think they deserve straight answers instead of being told to make a foi request :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Residents want answers

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.theprovince.com/news/nationa ... story.html

logan lake has lesson for bc forestry managment ?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There are a lot of people up in the Cariboo and central interior, and generally any rural area of BC, who just plain don't like the government. A lot of them live in the bush, with conifers overhanging their houses and lots of shade, and they *bleep* and moan when a dry summer comes along and threatens them. They want their health care, their pensions, their roads into their rural paradises, and on and on. And oh yeah, they want their taxes cut.

Questions can be asked about the lack of mitigation of fuel around communities and the lack of commitment of money by Christy to solve this. But if you choose to live in the bush, you just have to expect the threat of fire. And knowing the people in the Wildfire Branch, there is no doubt about their commitment to fighting fires.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

bob vernon wrote:There are a lot of people up in the Cariboo and central interior, and generally any rural area of BC, who just plain don't like the government. A lot of them live in the bush, with conifers overhanging their houses and lots of shade, and they *bleep* and moan when a dry summer comes along and threatens them. They want their health care, their pensions, their roads into their rural paradises, and on and on. And oh yeah, they want their taxes cut.

Questions can be asked about the lack of mitigation of fuel around communities and the lack of commitment of money by Christy to solve this. But if you choose to live in the bush, you just have to expect the threat of fire. And knowing the people in the Wildfire Branch, there is no doubt about their commitment to fighting fires.

god is in charge now he will fix it all :130: , like he put the fires out, in the words of one poster. Instead of crying do something around your area , get rid of growth etc.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The same story has been published right here on Castanet,mj, under the B.C. headline " Could B.C. have done more?". When I lived up in the Cariboo I had a couple of acres of long grass and pine trees. Definitely a fire hazard, so every year I'd get out there with my weed-whacker and get to work. I also burned some of the area, making sure I had my garden hose at the ready in case things went sideways.

It's true that homeowners must work hand in hand with the various levels of government to mitigate fire damage. And we should let our government representatives know that we intend to hold up their end of the bargain.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to know why the B.C. Wildfire service waits until a fire spreads to 1000 hectares before sending in the water bombers. This has been the problem since at least 2003. They take forever trying to coordinate the fire-fighting equipment.

Horgan had better take some time out of his busy schedule to do something about this before next fire season.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Cactusflower wrote:And while we're on the subject, I'd like to know why the B.C. Wildfire service waits until a fire spreads to 1000 hectares before sending in the water bombers. This has been the problem since at least 2003. They take forever trying to coordinate the fire-fighting equipment.

Horgan had better take some time out of his busy schedule to do something about this before next fire season.

they dont have enough. and i was kinda shocked to see bombers just sitting around at some airports . they trying save fuel . that and not making a deal with coulson before fire season was a mistake . con air cant do it all and it should be blatantly clear now .

it l9oks to me that if theres no house in front they are letting the bigger fires burn . which is fine in proper conditions as im all for controlled burns . but not not middle of heat wave. were are close to half billion in costs.

and i also think climate change needs to be part the equation and conversation
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I was speaking to a friend who has been working 12-hour, 14- day shifts at the Kamloops fire centre since July and he tells me that there are many water bombers from Quebec, Alberta and elsewhere that have been deployed. But they must all be working the Elephant Hill fire because according to the latest news, none were deployed to the Peachland fire until sometime today.

And yes, the Mars should be under contract again. Coulson said it would be ready to fight fires again in August.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Cactusflower wrote:And while we're on the subject, I'd like to know why the B.C. Wildfire service waits until a fire spreads to 1000 hectares before sending in the water bombers. This has been the problem since at least 2003. They take forever trying to coordinate the fire-fighting equipment.

I am certain that some, if not many of our provincial fires are under a mandate to be allowed to burn.

Obviously this will not be mainstream news to the residents, due to the backlash it would create.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Cactusflower wrote:And while we're on the subject, I'd like to know why the B.C. Wildfire service waits until a fire spreads to 1000 hectares before sending in the water bombers.
I see you get your information from the same 'reliable' sources...
The Finlay Creek wildfire burning southwest of Peachland has doubled in size to 20 hectares according to the BC Wildfire Service.

Air tankers and three helicopters are battling from the air while seven forestry service crew are battling from the ground. More crew members are on their way to the area.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Cactusflower wrote:
And yes, the Mars should be under contract again. Coulson said it would be ready to fight fires again in August.

I wish they would mothball that outdated dinosaur already.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

problem is not all in bc is being used and some of it has to do with who donated to the bclibs last 16 years. our bc fire fighting service needs a reboot.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:problem is not all in bc is being used and some of it has to do with who donated to the bclibs last 16 years. our bc fire fighting service needs a reboot.

where is your proof of you post. :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

again alfred it was put out by bclibs who donated money . its the law . instead of posting nonsense go look . it isnt rocket science to see whats been going on the last 16 years
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Too many water bombers in the air over a particular fire can also be a hazard to the water bombers themselves. The air traffic needs to be coordinated to make sure they don't smack into each other - which would also be a disaster. You need a well-versed ground controller to communicate with the pilots......
Chill

Return to “B.C.”