Liberals supply speaker

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Liberals supply speaker

Postby Retrosnap » Sep 8th, 2017, 9:47 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4281110

In another political twist in Victoria, B.C., Liberal MLA Darryl Plecas has been named the new Speaker of the B.C. Legislature. Plecas was the only MLA to put his name forward.

I guess one must respect him for making what must have been a tough decision. He was the only MLA to let his name stand. Says something about the Greens and Dippers.

However, his political career is finished.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby Queen K » Sep 8th, 2017, 9:49 am

Good for him, maybe this made his life easier right? We can't guess his motivations, maybe he doesn't even need a political career anymore either.

Says nothing about the Greens or the NDP.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Cactusflower likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9411 posts

Postby Retrosnap » Sep 8th, 2017, 9:54 am

Queen K wrote:Good for him, maybe this made his life easier right? We can't guess his motivations, maybe he doesn't even need a political career anymore either.

Says nothing about the Greens or the NDP.

Sure it does...none of them offered to let their name stand, even though they could have all voted for Plecas.

However, I take back my offer of respect. Like all politicians of all stripes, he's a slimeball. Every man has his price, and I guess his price was the pay and perks of being speaker. He said as late as June 19th the propping up an NDP govt as speaker would be disrespectful to his constituents.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

5 people like this post.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 8th, 2017, 10:06 am

If we accept that by nature, the job of being a politician turns otherwise good men and women into "slimeballs" but virtue of whom they sometimes have to go to bed with, what is the issue here?

Politics make strange bedfellows?

Ah yes and this moves shores up the NDPG position. All Liberal supporters here will have to have a stiff drink when you all get home from work.

"The move strengthens the NDP government's position in the minority parliament, ensuring the party did not have to give up a voting MLA to sit in the Speaker's chair. Moments before Plecas' name was read in the legislative chamber as the only candidate, the B.C. Liberals sent a statement to the media.

"Every member of the Legislative Assembly has the right to run for the position of Speaker. And every member has an obligation to conduct themselves in a fashion that honours their position as an elected representative," read the statement.

"On several occasions, Mr. Plecas has made clear to me and the BC Liberal Caucus that he would not seek the Office of Speaker. We took him at his word and believed that he would stand by his commitment.

"We are disappointed in his decision."

Castanet's link only just became available:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206111
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 9411 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 8th, 2017, 10:48 am

Plecas was a long time enemy of premier Clark within the party. In the end, I think Plecas was unrealistic in his expectations of politics, and miffed at his own inability to drive his point of view to the forefront. Perhaps also miffed at being passed over for cabinet positions.

Plecas riding went Liberal by almost a 25% margin. So it seems to me that his odds of being a future candidate within the Liberal party are pretty much toast. Kinda looks like he was fed up with politics and is "going out with a splash".

http://www.abbynews.com/news/exclusive-bc-liberal-mla-darryl-plecas-confirms-that-he-threatened-to-quit-party-if-clark-stayed-leader/

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics/liberal-mla-for-the-third-time-no-i-wont-be-speaker

I can somewhat understand where he is coming from in that I liked half of the Green platform and half of the Liberal platform. Don't think what he is doing serves any purpose though. Will be interesting to see.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 5482 posts

Postby seewood » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:10 am

- getting back at C Clark
- financial greed as he receives the same pay as a MLA with a portfolio
- perhaps top up his pension as he knows he's done at next election
- ego?
- if he had an agenda, perhaps he can get the greenies to bring it forward

Anyway, we will be stuck with the usual daft decisions and the attempt at shutting down of thousands of well paying construction jobs for the next little bit. Oh, and that's a fact.....
I am not wealthy but I am rich

3 people like this post.
seewood
Board Meister

Liked in: 349 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:14 am

Wow. The man lies to his own party and makes a backroom deal, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt to most people he is not a man of integrity, and:
Green Leader Andrew Weaver commended Plecas for taking on the role of Speaker, describing him as a politician of exceptional ethics and high moral standards.

Holy toledo, the bar in BC politics just gets lower and lower and lower.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4288 posts

Postby gordon_as » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:14 am

Maybe he actually HAS integrity. Maybe that's why he didn't fit in with the BC Liberals. Maybe he puts the citizens of this province ahead of partisan politics. Why should it really matter anyways ? Were the Liberals planing on voting against every piece of legislation the NDP brought forward , even good legislation ?
I don't vote for criminals.

5 people like this post.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 771 posts

Postby gordon_as » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:17 am

rustled wrote:Holy toledo, the bar in BC politics just gets lower and lower and lower.

Get real , the bar was laying on the ground 4 months ago and everybody knows it. Some Liberals even admit it.
I don't vote for criminals.

2 people like this post.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 771 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:24 am

gordon_as wrote:
rustled wrote:Holy toledo, the bar in BC politics just gets lower and lower and lower.

Get real , the bar was laying on the ground 4 months ago and everybody knows it. Some Liberals even admit it.

Indeed.

I've long expected better from all parties in B.C. Our local MLA pulled some very low stunts last term, showing a similar level of integrity in throwing local politicians under the bus, and I've said here more than once I'd rather a turnip had run in our riding than him.

Nowhere in my wildest imaginings would I say this sort of thing shows "exceptional ethics and high moral standards", but apparently for some folk, it's a sign of integrity to turn your back on the people you made promises to, when it's politically expedient to do so.

Urbane likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:24 am

Looks like the 'Free Enterprise Coalition' is finally falling apart. This might have been good news if the BC Conservatives weren't in disarray, but they have left a big hole in which to let the BC Liberals in, just as Gordon Wilson and the 'real' BC Liberals did when they were taken over by Campbell and the Social Credit losers.

Just watch as a Gordon Campbell clone takes over the BC Liberal leadership and -------Abracadabra, welcome to a new and improved BC Conservative Party.
Cactusflower
Übergod

Liked in: 249 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

gordon_as wrote:Maybe he actually HAS integrity. Maybe that's why he didn't fit in with the BC Liberals. Maybe he puts the citizens of this province ahead of partisan politics. Why should it really matter anyways ? Were the Liberals planing on voting against every piece of legislation the NDP brought forward , even good legislation ?

I'm all for parties working together when good legislation is presented, and I'd be interested to hear what the NDP brought forward last term. I live in hope they're more than just the peanut-chucking blame-and-shame complainers they continually present themselves to be.

If this is why Plecas is disillusioned with the party he was part of, running as a Liberal, promising not to let his name stand as speaker, and then working a backroom deal is not the way to prove he's a man of integrity who is only putting the interests of British Columbians before partisan politics.

We shall see if he can redeem himself over the coming months, but to my mind he has stooped awfully low here and has a big climb ahead of him to prove this was anything other than personal.
rustled
Lord of the Board

Postby gman313 » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

Liberals supply speaker is very misleading

I would think, Liberal acts against party wishes, accepts speaker position and is immediately booted from Liberal Party, is closer

2 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 876 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

gman313 wrote:Liberals supply speaker is very misleading

I would think, Liberal acts against party wishes, accepts speaker position and is immediately booted from Liberal Party, is closer

From the sounds of it, his fellow Liberal MLA's were a little PO.

Just another day in BC politics

I fully expect a major divorce to come.

gman313 likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5576 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby alfred2 » Sep 8th, 2017, 11:55 am

gordon_as wrote:Maybe he actually HAS integrity. Maybe that's why he didn't fit in with the BC Liberals. Maybe he puts the citizens of this province ahead of partisan politics. Why should it really matter anyways ? Were the Liberals planing on voting against every piece of legislation the NDP brought forward , even good legislation ?

You out of your mind, that man has no integrity, if he was going to take a bribe he should let his riding and his party know. This way it makes him much worse then weaver, shame on him. :200:

Smurf likes this post.
alfred2
Übergod

Liked in: 784 posts

Next

Return to Bickering Room