44671
45622

Liberals supply speaker

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby stuphoto » Sep 11th, 2017, 4:11 pm

GordonH wrote:impo anytime a MLA (or MP's) either crosses the floor or is removed from political party. To be fair to voters who elected that person to be there MLA or MP, there should a by-election called for that riding.
Because those who voted did so for that candidate of the political party he/she was part of, not for were he/she actually ended up as.

In this case at soonest possible time there should be a by-election in Mr. Plecas riding, if he wins then business in legislature can continue. If not a new speaker will be needed.

I don't feel that a by - election is the answer, I feel that a referendum is the smarter choice. Giving his voters options such as
- Would you like your candidate to cross the floor?
- Would you like your candidate to become the speaker?
- Would you like your candidate to resign?

I also feel that the canidate should be responsible for at least some of the expenses.

The downside is that it's tough to hold a referendum before a quick decision like this one.
stuphoto
Fledgling
 
Posts: 258
Likes: 276 posts
Liked in: 156 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 4:37 pm

A recall can only be initiated 18 months from now which will be early 2019.
Can't hold a by-election because he still retains his seat in the riding.

Would you honestly, I mean, really honestly turn down a job that you wanted, that you felt you were well-suited for just because some of your co-workers demanded you stay in a job you hated and picked on you because you complained about the boss?
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

2 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18985
Likes: 4898 posts
Liked in: 5427 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby mikest2 » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:40 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
Would you honestly, I mean, really honestly turn down a job that you wanted, that you felt you were well-suited for just because some of your co-workers demanded you stay in a job you hated and picked on you because you complained about the boss?


Oh my gosh good golly and good gracious me !! "stay in a job you hated" ??
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he campaigned for, and was elected by his constituents to be the Liberal MLA for the riding.
How can you say he hated the job ? You gotta get a grip, the man is a defector, not just from his party, but from those that put their trust in him to REPRESENT them. Nice try comrade, but there is no union to protect him from those that gave him the job.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

2 people like this post.
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 580
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 570 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Well, for the shadow government, Rich Coleman 'rewarded' Plecas with the Hydro portfolio - that's like asking a fish to ride a bicycle and so far below his qualifications it's a huge insult!! Demonstrates Coleman's vindictiveness after Plecas castigated Rich's pet Christy Clark.

Although in addressing Christy's surprise resignation, Rich did slip while applying his crying towel: "What she has done for this province cannot be forgiven...ah...forgotten."
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

Cactusflower likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18985
Likes: 4898 posts
Liked in: 5427 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby mikest2 » Sep 11th, 2017, 6:56 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Well, for the shadow government, Rich Coleman 'rewarded' Plecas with the Hydro portfolio - that's like asking a fish to ride a bicycle and so far below his qualifications it's a huge insult!! Demonstrates Coleman's vindictiveness after Plecas castigated Rich's pet Christy Clark.

Although in addressing Christy's surprise resignation, Rich did slip while applying his crying towel: "What she has done for this province cannot be forgiven...ah...forgotten."


Given the importance of Site C and BC Hydro to a great many people, I'd say that would be a pretty demanding job. perhaps he was not up to it. But then.......your comment has little to do with even the price of tea in china. The man turned his back on everyone that put him where he is.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

2 people like this post.
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 580
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 570 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 7:15 pm

The man turned his back on everyone that put him where he is.


No, not at all. He is still there, in government where his constituents put him and doing a job that MOST people feel is honorable and that he is worthy of the Speaker's job. He didn't throw away his hat and disappear like Christy did!!

He will undoubtedly be one of the best Speakers of the House in the many years to come.
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

Cactusflower likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18985
Likes: 4898 posts
Liked in: 5427 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby Old Techie » Sep 11th, 2017, 7:25 pm

removed/
Last edited by Triple 6 on Sep 11th, 2017, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1533
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 1857 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby GordonH » Sep 11th, 2017, 7:47 pm

mikest2 wrote:The man turned his back on everyone that put him where he is.

flamingfingers wrote:No, not at all. He is still there, in government where his constituents put him and doing a job that MOST people feel is honourable and that he is worthy of the Speaker's job He is no longer a representative of Liberals in South Abbotsford, those voted for him did not vote for an Independent candidate. He may still be in Victoria, he's not doing it as voters asked or wanted him as.. He didn't throw away his hat and disappear like Christy did!! guess what there will be a by-election so the voters can the choose who they want in that riding, by choosing who they want they also are choosing a political idea (party or independent). Which is not happening in South Abbotsford

He will undoubtedly be one of the best Speakers of the House in the many years to come.


He asked to be nominated as a candidate of Liberal Party of BC... not as a Independent. For this reason alone the voters of South Abbotsford should be given a by-election. He could win as an Independent, or not... anyones chance to win. impo the voter should have that right to choose.

I'd be curious actually now many of the 11,673 who voted for Mr. Plecas as a Liberal, would be voting for him now.

Added:
Of course no Political Party would actually have the guts to change the rules. So that anything similar happens in the future a by-election is needed i.e. crosses the floor, is kicked out of caucus or decides to be an Independent etc... etc. Thats
being either Provincially or Federally ..... to many chicken as :cuss: politicians. Don't want to possible screwup their gold plated pensions.

mikest2 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17530
Likes: 1670 posts
Liked in: 5199 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 11th, 2017, 8:00 pm

He is no longer a representative of Liberals in South Abbotsford, those voted for him did not vote for an Independent candidate.


It's only because Rich Coleman is mean, vindictive and a bully that Plecas is no longer a BC Liberal MLA. It really means nothing to his constituents as he is perfectly able to represent them as an Independent.

guess what there will be a by-election so the voters can the choose who they want in that riding, by choosing who they want they also are choosing a political idea (party or independent). Which is not happening in South Abbotsford


No, there won't be a byelection -Plecas still maintains his MLA seat in the riding.

ETA: There WILL be a by-election in Kelowna-West Kelowna because Christy Clark abandoned her constituents and left them with no representation whatsoever.
Darryl Plecas: "it was the right thing to do."
Yes, yes it was.

Cactusflower likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18985
Likes: 4898 posts
Liked in: 5427 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby mikest2 » Sep 11th, 2017, 8:14 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
He is no longer a representative of Liberals in South Abbotsford, those voted for him did not vote for an Independent candidate.


It's only because Rich Coleman is mean, vindictive and a bully that Plecas is no longer a BC Liberal MLA. It really means nothing to his constituents as he is perfectly able to represent them as an Independent.

guess what there will be a by-election so the voters can the choose who they want in that riding, by choosing who they want they also are choosing a political idea (party or independent). Which is not happening in South Abbotsford


No, there won't be a byelection -Plecas still maintains his MLA seat in the riding.


I fail to understand your logic. Essentially you are saying that you can use whatever ruse you want to stand for election. Whether it is party, platform or anything, then once you are elected you are free to do whatever you want ? Ah....... Maybe I get an inkling, but it's far from logic..........So by the same token, the NDPG can now start wholesale reneging on promises and they will be doing no wrong. In fact (your facts) if He will undoubtedly be one of the best Speakers of the House in the many years to come.(your words) this would then mean the NDPG government would be the best ever elected if they turned they backs on those who elected them.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 580
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 570 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby Deean » Sep 11th, 2017, 9:47 pm

The liberals did not supply the speaker. Yes, this could be the end of his political career, but probably the best thing he could do before the Liberals kicked him out. I think the Liberals proved themselves to be untrustworthy. I reserve judgement on the NDP and Greens until I see what they are up to. Hopefully they will fix ICBC, BC Hydro, and put Advantage BC back to what it was originally meant to do.

3 people like this post.
Deean
 
Posts: 99
Likes: 162 posts
Liked in: 60 posts
Joined: Dec 15th, 2008, 12:15 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby rustled » Sep 11th, 2017, 10:09 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
He is no longer a representative of Liberals in South Abbotsford, those voted for him did not vote for an Independent candidate.


It's only because Rich Coleman is mean, vindictive and a bully that Plecas is no longer a BC Liberal MLA. It really means nothing to his constituents as he is perfectly able to represent them as an Independent.

guess what there will be a by-election so the voters can the choose who they want in that riding, by choosing who they want they also are choosing a political idea (party or independent). Which is not happening in South Abbotsford


No, there won't be a byelection -Plecas still maintains his MLA seat in the riding.

ETA: There WILL be a by-election in Kelowna-West Kelowna because Christy Clark abandoned her constituents and left them with no representation whatsoever.

Really? It's only because Rich Coleman?

And then, you interrupt this thread for the usual deflection to Christy Clark. Let's stick to one person's poor choices per thread. Goodness knows you have enough threads on here about Clark's. I get that you'd rather we didn't focus on Plecas's poor choices, but here we are.

You keep saying it's only because of Coleman, when surely even you can see Plecas did have other options. Those options weren't a sure thing for getting his butt into the Speaker's chair. It's pretty clear that's why he chose to go through the backdoor. He didn't want to risk missing his golden opportunity by going through the front door.

His own actions cost him the confidence of his riding association.

Big boys don't go about crying "the big bad bully made me do it" when they suffer the natural consequences of their own poor choices. Surely if Plecas is half the man his background indicates he is, he's capable of understanding the natural consequences of his actions. I doubt Plecas appreciates people casting doubt on his ability to stand up for what he wanted, or on his ability to take full responsibility for those consequences.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4095
Likes: 4706 posts
Liked in: 3950 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby Cactusflower » Sep 11th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Plecas made an excellent choice. He, along with many of the former supporters of the BC Liberal party, chose to say "Sayonara" to a party that became the most corrupt in the history of B.C. politics. No doubt he will announce his independent status within the next few days and continue to represent his constituents until the 2021 election. It's perfectly legal for him to do so. Others before him have paved the way for him to do so.

Sooner or later Coleman & Co. will get over their little snit and get on with the business of trying to be an effective opposition in the B.C. Legislature. They are rudderless with little hope of ever finding a competent leader. There is no one within the party caucus that is capable of leading a political party, and no one outside the party will touch them with a 10-ft. pole.

flamingfingers likes this post.
Cactusflower
Fledgling
 
Posts: 231
Likes: 179 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby gordon_as » Sep 12th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Funny thing is that if an elected green decided to cross the floor and join the Liberals , every thing would be perfectly acceptable for all you Liblovers. You guys are easier to read than my kid's grade 3 homework. Your party clung desperately to power , but they couldn't hold on to it. It's over , get over it.
I don't vote for criminals.

Cactusflower likes this post.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2527
Likes: 28 posts
Liked in: 728 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 9:12 am

Re: Liberals supply speaker

Postby LordEd » Sep 12th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Where has anybody said that they are still in power?

Clark's resignation and the speaker crossover eliminates their numbers advantage to a tied and essentially crippled parliament.

A late ferry or flight could still take it down, but harder now.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3119
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 1531 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests