Therapy dog shot by moron

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Therapy dog shot by moron

Post by Rwede »

Gone_Fishin wrote:^^ I like seeing the law quoted to clear up the misconceptions people have, from either ignorance of said law, or a sense of entitlement thinking the law doesn't apply to them. My friends in law enforcement speak of this issue all the time.

Dogs can't run off leash in a wildlife management unit. Of course, not everyone knows this, and yet others who do know this think they and their dogs are above that law. My dog is tied to my belt whenever we're out there, and we both wear safety orange to avoid unfortunate accidents.

Correct. The woman with the dog was breaking the law, a law that is in place, in part, to prevent exactly these types of situations from occurring.

Irresponsible pet owners seem to be the first ones to call for more rules on other people, yet they themselves ignore the rules that apply to them. Unfortunately, the innocent pets get caught in the middle of it and suffer the consequences of a bad owner's actions.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:
Bylaws have nothing whatsoever to do with the Wildlife Act.

You cannot let a dog run free in a wildlife area, period. It is illegal and unethical, and dangerous for dogs, wildlife, and the persons to whom the dogs will bring dangerous wildlife.

That's why the COs can shoot a dog on sight in a wildlife area. Because it's STUPID and ILLEGAL to let dogs run loose in those areas!

78 A person commits an offence if the person causes or allows a dog to hunt or pursue

(a) wildlife or an endangered species or threatened species, or
(b) game, except in accordance with the regulations.

Keyword being "management". You were making it sound like dogs were not allowed to be off leash in areas where wildlife lived at all which is incorrect. These are BC's wildlife management areas, none are in the immediate Kelowna area, closest is in Penticton. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/habitat/con ... a/map.html

Bert Brink
Boundary Bay
Chilanko Marsh
Cluxewe
Columbia Wetlands
Coquitlam River
Cranberry Marsh/Starratt
Dewdrop-Rosseau Creek
East Side Columbia Lake
Green Mountain
Hamling Lakes
Lhá:lt/Harrison-Chehalis
Lazo Marsh-North East Comox
McTaggart-Cowan/Nsək'łniw't
Midge Creek
Parksville-Qualicum Beach
Pemberton Wetlands
Pitt-Addington Marsh
Quatse Estuary
Roberts Bank
Serpentine
Skwelwil'em Squamish Estuary
South Arm Marshes
South Okanagan
Stellako River
Sturgeon Bank
Todagin
Tofino Mudflats
Tranquille

Is Lucille Lake within the Skwelwil'em Squamish Estuary? Then she would be partially culpable.

Also:

Dogs must be on leash in designated wildlife management areas
4 (1) A person commits an offence if the person enters a wildlife management area described in Schedule 4 with a dog that is not

(a) under the direct control of a person, and
(b) restrained by a leash not longer than 2 metres.
(2) This section does not apply to a person who enters the wildlife management area in order to engage in lawful hunting.

Lawful hunting being considered:

(2) A person does not commit an offence under section 78 of the Wildlife Act where the person causes or allows a dog to pursue
(a) small game, black bear, bobcat, lynx, grizzly bear or cougar, or
(b) mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer, fallow deer, sheep, goat, caribou, elk or moose if the dog is on a leash and under the direct control of the person, provided the game is being pursued in an area in which and at a time at which an open season exists for that game and also provided the person holds a valid hunting licence and is otherwise conforming with the requirements of the Act and regulations.
(3) A person does not commit an offence under section 78 of the Wildlife Act where the person causes or allows a dog to pursue game birds between the dates August 1 to April 30 provided the dog is under supervision of the person.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Dogs can be off leash when pursuing game in accordance with the Hunting Regulations.

Dogs cannot be off leash and at large pursuing or hunting (aka "searching" as defined in the Wildlife Act) outside the Hunting Regulations.

The woman in question was not a licensed hunter, yet her dog was running free in a wildlife area. Therefore, she was breaking the law allowing her dog to roam free outside the Hunting Regulations.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:Dogs can be off leash when pursuing game in accordance with the Hunting Regulations.

Dogs cannot be off leash and at large pursuing or hunting (aka "searching" as defined in the Wildlife Act) outside the Hunting Regulations.

The woman in question was not a licensed hunter, yet her dog was running free in a wildlife area. Therefore, she was breaking the law allowing her dog to roam free outside the Hunting Regulations.

Her dog wasn't pursuing wildlife so no. A controlled dog is allowed to be off leash outside of wildlife management areas. A wildlife area is not a wildlife management area. They have different regulations. Was this person in a wildlife management area or not?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

JLives wrote:Her dog wasn't pursuing wildlife so no.

How do you know? The dog does not have to be pursuing wildlife to meet the definition of hunting.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured.

A controlled dog is allowed to be off leash outside of wildlife management areas. A wildlife area is not a wildlife management area. They have different regulations. Was this person in a wildlife management area or not?

Doesn't matter. Dogs cannot be at large where wildlife is found, as they are deemed hunting. Only when the owner is using the dog to hunt as per the regulations can the dog roam and pursue wildlife that is eligible to be pursued per the regulations (cougar, birds, etc).

This woman's dog was in a cutblock. The woman did not show up until 20 minutes after the incident happened. She was not "10 feet away from the dog," that has been established and it appears she has given a false statement in that regard.

She did not have control of her dog, and was nowhere near it when this happened.

The woman has been confirmed to be an active, lobbying anti-hunter. This incident has just turned into a soapbox for her to push her agenda.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Rwede wrote:
JLives wrote:Her dog wasn't pursuing wildlife so no.

How do you know? The dog does not have to be pursuing wildlife to meet the definition of hunting.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured.

A controlled dog is allowed to be off leash outside of wildlife management areas. A wildlife area is not a wildlife management area. They have different regulations. Was this person in a wildlife management area or not?

Doesn't matter. Dogs cannot be at large where wildlife is found, as they are deemed hunting. Only when the owner is using the dog to hunt as per the regulations can the dog roam and pursue wildlife that is eligible to be pursued per the regulations (cougar, birds, etc).

This woman's dog was in a cutblock. The woman did not show up until 20 minutes after the incident happened. She was not "10 feet away from the dog," that has been established and it appears she has given a false statement in that regard.

She did not have control of her dog, and was nowhere near it when this happened.

The woman has been confirmed to be an active, lobbying anti-hunter. This incident has just turned into a soapbox for her to push her agenda.

Sorry Jenny but Rwede is correct and you are not.

Wow, as usual, more of the story keeps coming out and it isn't looking so good for the owner. It's a shame she thought she was above the law and put the dog in a situation where this could happen. She was irresponsible and negligent, that is unquestioned. Not saying the hunter doesn't still bear some responsibility but it seems like the owner of the dog has a lot more explaining to do.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4297487

"We were gathering the dogs"

Okay, a leashed dog doesn't have to be gathered. I get that, but the dog was very close to people and it wasn't wolf hunting season in that area, just other areas. Therefore the hunter was a moron, as said by MJ in the beginning. But she didn't have her dogs on leashes either.

I can accept both being responsible for this tragedy.

And anyone can be as anti or pro-hunting as they want to be, doesn't mean they would not be upset if their dog was shot.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

no one has to be anti hunting to know what the hunting laws in bc are. its literly in black in white and the non hunting population has sero special instructions to be placed on them during hunting season . theres no law requiring anyone or any pet to be painted orange during hunting season. its all on the hunters . i would go gold panning in fall during hunting season and there was no laws saying i had to do anything but not claim jump .

the regs are online easy to read
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote: I get that, but the dog was very close to people and it wasn't wolf hunting season in that area, just other areas.

It is wolf hunting season in Region 2, which is where this occurred. That was already posted in this thread.

And anyone can be as anti or pro-hunting as they want to be, doesn't mean they would not be upset if their dog was shot.

Hunters would be smart enough not to let their dog illegally roam, and would be smart enough to use high visibility vests on their dogs, especially a dog that looks like a wolf.

The owner is responsible in large part for what happened, and the owner is twisting the story to fit her agenda against hunting. Sad how people use a tragedy to vilify millions of law abiding, good people, for their own misguided causes.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

nobody hunts wolf there . but still doesnt matter as it is 100 percent the fool with the guns fault . the hunting regs are easy to read . the only question is what is the punishment and will the rcmp and spca get involved
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

maryjane48 wrote:nobody hunts wolf there

Apparently one person does.

How would you know anyway? You don't hunt wolves. You don't hunt. You don't know the hunting regulations. You don't even know what Region 2 means.

but still doesnt matter as it is 100 percent the fool with the guns fault .

Apparently not. Word is spreading about the BS and grandstanding the dog owner is spewing.

She was letting her dog run illegally, failed to keep it under her control, and failed to use high visibility markers on the dog.

the hunting regs are easy to read .

If the hunting regs were easy to read, you and Queenie would know the regulations. You've both illustrated that you do not.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Rwede wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:^^ I like seeing the law quoted to clear up the misconceptions people have, from either ignorance of said law, or a sense of entitlement thinking the law doesn't apply to them. My friends in law enforcement speak of this issue all the time.

Dogs can't run off leash in a wildlife management unit. Of course, not everyone knows this, and yet others who do know this think they and their dogs are above that law. My dog is tied to my belt whenever we're out there, and we both wear safety orange to avoid unfortunate accidents.

Correct. The woman with the dog was breaking the law, a law that is in place, in part, to prevent exactly these types of situations from occurring.

Irresponsible pet owners seem to be the first ones to call for more rules on other people, yet they themselves ignore the rules that apply to them. Unfortunately, the innocent pets get caught in the middle of it and suffer the consequences of a bad owner's actions.

that may very well be true ? but when a person shoots a animal that is not legal( thought it was a wolfe) in the first place to be shot ?? whats a leash have to do with anything;; this hunter is a moron and should be removed from being allowed to hunt PERIOD
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You don't want to say that the hunter was in part at fault at all?

I do. And MJ does. So do a lot of other people.

Hunting regulations be damned. The news articles are saying wolf hunting was not legal there at this time of year. What else is there? No I don't understand "Region 2" but that's the beauty and strength of castanet, there are guys like you who are here to assist people to understand.

Oh, and not all hunters are law abiding. I could have taken some damning photos of discarded bear parts which were still wrapped in plastic and dumped on the side of Beaverdell Road up over Penticton. And I see poaching reports all the time. Not everyone is lawabiding, that's for sure.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
srk

Post by srk »

maryjane48 wrote:nobody hunts wolf there . but still doesnt matter as it is 100 percent the fool with the guns fault . the hunting regs are easy to read . the only question is what is the punishment and will the rcmp and spca get involved

Wrong. From what I see the lady is at fault. The hunter was pretty much setup from what I can see. Poor dog.
srk

Post by srk »

Queen K wrote:You don't want to say that the hunter was in part at fault at all?

I do. And MJ does. So do a lot of other people.

Hunting regulations be damned. The news articles are saying wolf hunting was not legal there at this time of year.

The news article screwed up the facts. Or only wrote the article from the word of that lady who keeps changing her story.

Yes the hunter made a mistake.
Yes the poor dog looked similar to a wolf with no collar on.
The lady was NOT 10 feet away in a parking lot where she said the dog was shot.
The dog was in a open cut block that connected onto a forestry road in an ACTIVE hunting area.
The law states that the dogs HAVE to be on leashes in those areas.
She broke the law.

Honestly, people get the facts straight before posting stuff in here.
If a hunter was in an active hunting area and witnessed a domesticated dog with no owner around chasing wildlife. He IS allowed shooting that dog.

"Wildlife Protection"

Deer chasing by dogs is against the law. Persons who allow a dog to chase wildlife, contrary to the regulations of the Wildlife Act, are subject to a fine of up to $1000 or imprisonment for up to six months (Wildlife Act, Section 80).
Dogs may be killed by a Conservation Officer, Peace Officer or Licenced Hunter if they are at large in a wildlife management area, or if they are running at large and harassing wildlife (Wildlife Act, Section 81).

I have also personally talked to a Conservation Officer about this incident, he told me that hunters ARE allowed to shoot domesticated dogs chasing deer.. depending on the area. The story from this lady is so messed up, we would need to hear the story from the hunter. I bet the dog was chasing deer. Open cut block.... lady 20 minutes walk / jog away. The dog was obviously up to something.. not to mention there were 9 dogs? This one was alone. Definitely was on a deer.

Return to “B.C.”