Therapy dog shot by moron

Buckeye19
Board Meister

Re: Therapy dog shot by moron

Post by Buckeye19 »

maryjane48 wrote:the lady whose dog was shot said it was a parking lot . theres zero reason to believe anyone else .

So we should never question any persons account of past events?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:they were just getting off the trail to head to cars.

So you're saying the forestry road is a parking lot? You posted the link about the forestry road.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This could be location:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.9619391, ... 312!8i6656

Trail actual shows up on google map
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Blackhyper

Post by Blackhyper »

You have got to be kidding me. There are actually people stating that the owner and the hunter both made a mistake? That's a joke right? You have to take and pass a test to hunt in this province. I am a hunter I hunt predators. There is absolutely no excuse at all for the killing of this dog. It was not shot by a hunter it was shot by a fool with a gun and he should be ban from owning guns and pay in full for a new fully trained therapy dog. No animal should be killed just to kill. There is no wolf hunting allowed In That area. You should always know your target and beyond. This fool broke so many rules and showed such blatant disregard for everything around him. He could have killed a person very easily "by accident". All you fools that say the dog should be on a leash, your joking? Right? This "hunter" and I use that term very loosely is solely to blame. It stupid &$@@s like this that make it difficult for the rest of us, the real hunters. I have no doubt he's one of those as&wholes all decked out in dirty camo. Probly shot the dog because it's the only thing that didn't run away when they smelled him. I hope this is not another case of a slap on the wrist. He should be charged with multiple firearms offenses and have his hunting lisence suspended and his PAL revoked he is not capable of properly handling a firearm.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lovely discussion. There are adults out there that do realize mistakes are made (whether intentional or not) and understand the risks of being in an area shared by so many - hence dogs wearing reflective vests to protect them. That isn't a bad thing now is it? The investigation is ongoing and maybe there will be an update in due course.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Fancy wrote:lol - the lady said on the Facebook page where she was and I posted what she said. Of course there's no law to protect yourself or pets but there's a lot of people that do just that so these types of accidents don't happen. And why I mentioned vests. Lots of pet stores and hunting stores sell them to protect the dogs from accidental shootings. Reflective orange vests are quite visible.

Vests? Please tell me you're joking. The dog owner has zero fault here. Do other species in the wood wear vests? No. It's the person with the gun's responsibility to KNOW what they are shooting BEFORE they pull the trigger. This wasn't an accident, it was idiocy. He should lose his licences and firearms immediately as he clearly can't handle the responsibility that comes with them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

JLives wrote:Vests? Please tell me you're joking. The dog owner has zero fault here. Do other species in the wood wear vests? No. It's the person with the gun's responsibility to KNOW what they are shooting BEFORE they pull the trigger. This wasn't an accident, it was idiocy. He should lose his licences and firearms immediately as he clearly can't handle the responsibility that comes with them.
Okay, now this is getting ridiculous. I never said the dog owner was at fault. And the comment about other species wearing vests must be a joke too. Hunters do protect their dogs from being a target by fitting them with vests. This isn't the first dog shot (by mistake or not) and it won't be the last. If people don't want to learn how to minimize the risk, fine. But to ridicule me for looking after a dog's interest is where I'm scratching my head. I know people who hunt with dogs and they do not want them to be mistaken for anything but a pet - vests are meant to do that. How about some actually research before spouting off.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JLives wrote:
Vests? Please tell me you're joking. The dog owner has zero fault here. Do other species in the wood wear vests? No. It's the person with the gun's responsibility to KNOW what they are shooting BEFORE they pull the trigger. This wasn't an accident, it was idiocy. He should lose his licences and firearms immediately as he clearly can't handle the responsibility that comes with them.

Oh wow, take some calming medication perhaps? Certainly the hunter was a fault, nothing was said otherwise but much like the driver being at fault should one wear their bike helmet the brain damage from the person at fault could have been avoided.

see the point? No? Safety measures when taken for certain reasons can help prevent tragedy
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just to show the similarities between a couple of new breeds and a wolf:

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/11-dogs-similar-to-wolf

Hope anyone in the back country this weekend are aware of their surroundings - be careful out there.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Buckeye19 wrote:Unfortunate incident and mistakes do happen. Sounds like the fellow who shot the dog stuck around and was cooperative.

A good example of why you keep your dog on a leash in the bush.

This is the correct summation of this incident.

People who allow their pets to run free in wildlife areas are breaking the law.

It's sad that this lovely dog was killed in the incident. It wasn't the dog's fault. It could just as easily have run out on the highway and been killed, too. I find culpability on both the shooter and the pet owner.

Keep your pets leashed in wild areas at all times, and use high visibility vests in areas where hunting may be occurring at the same time.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

In one way I like your post Rwede, but the owner was supposedly 10 feet away, in either direction or any of them, a human was close. I edge over to the shooter for culpability. But I see unleashed dogs in wild areas all the time and yes, it's wrong.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Queen K wrote:In one way I like your post Rwede, but the owner was supposedly 10 feet away, in either direction or any of them, a human was close. I edge over to the shooter for culpability. But I see unleashed dogs in wild areas all the time and yes, it's wrong.

is having a child unleashed wrong also ? lets get back to reality. there is no laws regarding non hunters to do anything but carry on as they would at any other time. but there is laws regarding hunters where they can shoot what they can shoot and how they shoot it. its all on the hunter .. anyone saying anything defferent is ignorant of our hunting laws
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sport ... s-synopsis

Copyright (c) Queen's Printer,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada License
Disclaimer
This Act is current to September 13, 2017
See the Tables of Legislative Changes for this Act’s legislative history, including any changes not in force.
WILDLIFE ACT
[RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 488
Contents
Part 1 — General Provisions
1 Definitions and interpretation
2 Property in wildlife
3 Minister's powers
4 Power to designate wildlife management areas
5 Critical wildlife areas and wildlife sanctuaries
6 Endangered and threatened species
6.1-6.3 Not in force
6.4 Controlled alien species
6.5 Regulation of controlled alien species
6.6 Application of this Act to controlled alien species
7 Damage to land set aside for wildlife
8 Right of action
9 Damaging beaver dams
10 Financial responsibility
11 Hunting and trapping
12 Angling licences
13 Licences as prescribed
14 Number of licences limited
15 Issue of licences
15.1 Licence applications
16 Limited entry hunting authorization
17 Examinations
17.1 Hunting licences for persons under 18 years of age
17.2 Initiation hunting licence
18 Prescribed course of training
19 Permits
20 Permit applications and fees
21 Import and export of wildlife
22 Trafficking in wildlife
23 Repealed
24 Suspension and cancellation of licences
25 Suspension and cancellation of permits
26 Hunting, trapping and firearm prohibitions
27 Use of conveyance
28 Dangerous hunting or trapping
29 Attempt to capture wildlife
30 Swimming wildlife

*snip* Read more at link:

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... #section28

now highlight where it says non hunters must go out of their way to avoid being shot ? or their pets.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 21st, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for length
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:In one way I like your post Rwede, but the owner was supposedly 10 feet away, in either direction or any of them, a human was close. I edge over to the shooter for culpability. But I see unleashed dogs in wild areas all the time and yes, it's wrong.

I've had a grizzly bear 10 feet away from me in dense bush like that where this incident occurred. And I didn't see it until it bolted.

Tip: carry toilet paper and clean gonch.

My dog wears hi-vis at all times when we're out, both during hunting trips and during fishing/camping trips. He actually gets excited as hell when I put it on him, and doesn't mind wearing it.

Cheap $15 peace of mind.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Rwede wrote:
Buckeye19 wrote:Unfortunate incident and mistakes do happen. Sounds like the fellow who shot the dog stuck around and was cooperative.

A good example of why you keep your dog on a leash in the bush.

This is the correct summation of this incident.

People who allow their pets to run free in wildlife areas are breaking the law.

It's sad that this lovely dog was killed in the incident. It wasn't the dog's fault. It could just as easily have run out on the highway and been killed, too. I find culpability on both the shooter and the pet owner.

Keep your pets leashed in wild areas at all times, and use high visibility vests in areas where hunting may be occurring at the same time.

Not to mention it’s the responsible thing to do as a pet owner. When you let your dogs run free in wild areas during hunting season, you are taking a risk if they are not leashed and wearing a vest. At the end of the day, it’s sad that the dog had to pay the price for its irresponsible owner and a hunter who didn’t clearly identify what he was shooting at.

Return to “B.C.”