maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

BC is where everyone wants to live

Post by maryjane48 »

techrtr
Übergod

Re: Bc is where everyone wants to live

Post by techrtr »

Don't know about that. I know tons of people who live outside of BC and they have no interest in living here. I would take polls like this with a grain of salt.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I can see this. While we don't have a monopoly on natural beauty, we did get lion's share of it. And for the most part the only ones who don't have a job are the ones who don't want one or people unwilling to take a less desirable spot while they search for an upgrade.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

techrtr wrote:Don't know about that. I know tons of people who live outside of BC and they have no interest in living here. I would take polls like this with a grain of salt.

I am originally from Ontario and I think BC is not a great place to live. Why do I feel this way?
The landscape here is hostile and unforgiving and difficult. The mountains may be beautiful to look at but are in fact quite useless for human habitation. I go up into the mountains on occassion and it is a wild and hazardous, strewn with gigantic boulders left over from the last ice age. Surviving in such an environment would not be easy. So people are living in the narrow valleys with limited space to grow. This also translates to less agricultural land to grow our own food. The province is impoverished in many ways, especially now that the environmentalists are destroying any chance of improving it with the cancellation of projects that would employ people and bring in cash. The province is also filled with a lot of extremists with crackpot ideas.
Of course there are many worse places to live. So here I stay confined to these little valleys for the most part, with limited places to visit and see.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC is where everyone wants to live

Post by maryjane48 »

lol impovershed? we could send you back to ont if you like.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

The New government is still young. During the last reign of terror in the 1990's thanks to the idiotic NDP policies of the time, people were leaving in droves, or at the very least, setting up residence in Alberta purely because the brainless NDP had raised the personal tax rate so high. The NDP are unique in their ability to make people leave one of the best provinces in Canada at high rate of speed. Bad government has that effect.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I understand why people want to live here and maybe the threat of NDP governance (haha I made a funny, did you get it ....governance ....you know cause it doesn't exist with the NDP....crickets) keeps enough away so we aren't overrun. :biggrin:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

maryjane48 wrote:lol impovershed? we could send you back to ont if you like.

Maybe to that 500 dollar lot overlooking the nine hole golf course you are promoting and we all hope you are moving to soon?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Well, BC is where Albertans want to live. And many Asians have picked it as their favourite spot to launder their money.

But the total population gives a hint as to how many people really want to live in BC.

BC is a nice visit, but people with options eventually move away and only breifly visit in the summers.

The smart money doesn't stay in BC.

Return to “B.C.”