Sadness, frustration as well-known Bear 148 shot by hunter

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Sadness, frustration as well-known Bear 148 shot by hunt

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Hunting is allowed in Calgary? I don't think so. Alberta has had a ban on Grizzly hunting since 2006. The case I was making was the one where we disagreed on the difference between the threat of Grizzly bears in populated areas and unpopulated areas.

I never said anything about hunting in Calgary and I wasn't talking about differences between the threat of Grizzly bears in populated areas and unpopulated areas. You seem to be talking at cross purposes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It shouldn't be even an issue that people have eaten grizzly. A little googling would have shown that.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Premier Horgan has a lot on his plate, but he'd better straighten this out before any other 'gap-toothed, inbred, banjo playing, or wealthy uneducated losers' pull the same stunt.

Not sure what the urgency here is, or what depending on the dim-witted Horgan and his band of boneheads in the NDP will do for this issue. Bears become problems and have to be destroyed. I realized this conflicts with the warm feelings in your little liberal animal-loving tummies but cest la vie.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Whatever. The bottom line is, the hunter and his guide are lucky their names weren't made public. There are people in B.C. who are against the killing of Grizzly bears and would not let take this incident lightly. The NDP has to follow Alberta's lead and put a total ban on this disgusting practice.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fear mongering. Both guide and hunter probably don't care what the general public thinks - it was a legal hunt and this was a problem bear and there is nothing that anyone can do about it.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

There is no fear-mongering involved with wanting to see Grizzly hunting banned. There is no way to defend what those guys did, IMHO. You obviously have the opposite opinion, so let's just drop it, okay?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote: There is no way to defend what those guys did,

Sure there is. And lots of people have been defending it. Far better than those who were against it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Hi GB. Those who defend this killing are using the 'It was a legal kill' argument, whereas the people who are against it are arguing that it was morally wrong, and that the law needs to be amended.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Fancy wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/sadness-frustration-as-well-known-bear-148-shot-by-hunter-in-b-c/wcm/7a68aa47-4c2e-4afb-b6a7-bd7614710ae2

absolutly disgusting. atleast the ndp will be ending this and we should petion them to end all bear hunts .

What nonsense - this was a legal kill and this was a problem bear. Your heading has a lot to be desired. This bear was on the radar to be euthanized if there was another encounter.

Totally False; The group that tagged and monitored this bear said this was NOT a problem bear; it did get too close to civilization and was relocated to a remote area so it did NOT become a problem bear ;; the bad part is the hunting party KNEW it was a monitored bear and shot it anyways;; unfortunealy $$$$ took presentence over preservation and as it turned out was a 2 year old female just coming into her breeding prime;; I wonder if the conservationists would be better to have certain coloured collars indicating sex and age ???
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:There is no fear-mongering involved with wanting to see Grizzly hunting banned.
That was not stated. You implied something when stating the hunter and his guide are lucky their names weren't made public.

Cactusflower wrote:Hi GB. Those who defend this killing are using the 'It was a legal kill' argument, whereas the people who are against it are arguing that it was morally wrong, and that the law needs to be amended.
But it WAS a legal killing which is why there will be no investigation and that's a fact. There is no argument regarding the legalities.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Hunters and hikers are well aware of the risks they take in the back country. Comparing those encounters to the human encounters in Banff and Canmore is foolish in the extreme.

Oh, and JagXKR? I've eaten venison too, but I would never eat Grizzly meat, and it sounds like you haven't either, so let's hear a truthful account from someone who has.

I've had bear meat. It's good, but I wouldn't go looking to hunt a bear for more of it. That being said, that's just me, who can just as easily go to a local butcher shop and obtain very highly quality meat. Others may not be afforded that luxury.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Cactusflower wrote:Whatever. The bottom line is, the hunter and his guide are lucky their names weren't made public. There are people in B.C. who are against the killing of Grizzly bears and would not let take this incident lightly. The NDP has to follow Alberta's lead and put a total ban on this disgusting practice.

Why would or even should their names be made public? It was legal and those who are against hunting bears can carry on. It's the law itself that you oppose and take issue with. Until such time that it's changed, nobody is under any obligation to abide by rules that you made up.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

FreeRights wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Whatever. The bottom line is, the hunter and his guide are lucky their names weren't made public. There are people in B.C. who are against the killing of Grizzly bears and would not let take this incident lightly. The NDP has to follow Alberta's lead and put a total ban on this disgusting practice.

Why would or even should their names be made public? It was legal and those who are against hunting bears can carry on. It's the law itself that you oppose and take issue with. Until such time that it's changed, nobody is under any obligation to abide by rules that you made up.

You're right, it is the law itself that I oppose, but I also think it's morally wrong to kill Grizzlies for sport, especially a 2-yr old female. And I haven't made up any rules. I'm simply stating my opinion, which is what these public opinion forums are all about.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dontrump wrote:Totally False; The group that tagged and monitored this bear said this was NOT a problem bear; it did get too close to civilization and was relocated to a remote area so it did NOT become a problem bear ;; the bad part is the hunting party KNEW it was a monitored bear and shot it anyways;; unfortunealy $$$$ took presentence over preservation and as it turned out was a 2 year old female just coming into her breeding prime;; I wonder if the conservationists would be better to have certain coloured collars indicating sex and age ???

Not false according to the report that this bear was on the radar and another encounter would end her. It was also stated this bear was 6 years old.

news of the six-year-old grizzly’s death spread.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... ter-in-b-c

This bear's demise is not surprising.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:You're right, it is the law itself that I oppose, but I also think it's morally wrong to kill Grizzlies for sport, especially a 2-yr old female.
Where do you get the information she was 2 years old? According to the news reports she was over 6 years old and has cubs already.

Return to “B.C.”