Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Re: Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Postby seewood » Oct 5th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Mark5 wrote:maryjane48 wrote:Pets OK BC announced today that they have reached their goal of 10,000 signatures for their petition to change the no pets rental restrictions in B.C.Pets OK BC is a movement advocating for the abolition of unreasonable pet restrictions in rental housing across the province of B.C.“We think families with pets should have equal access to housing, equal opportunity, and not face discrimination when it comes to looking for a place to live,” says the organization’s Eliot Galan in an announcement on the Pets OK BC Facebook.

Seems obvious to me Eliot has not thought this through. Last I checked we live in a democratic, for the most part, society and just who is going to have the jurisdiction to enforce this stupid idea? What are the penalties? Just thinking about it says dumb.... Eliot must me seeking an NDP nomination somewhere.....
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Smurf likes this post.
seewood
Board Meister

Liked in: 375 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Nov 6th, 2017, 7:12 pm

I understand people wanting to have a pet. I've had dogs as pets over the years.

But being a responsible pet owner, means thinking of that pet. I would love another dog - but until something changes in my life, that isn't going to happen. We own, but dogs are pack animals, and should not be left alone all day. I know of too many people who have pets but leave them alone for most of the day. Then they can't understand why their pet acts up and destroys things.

My point is that if I, as a homeowner, can see this - why can't renters? At what point are they responsible to the pet? As renters they are also responsible to take care of the property they are living in; despite what they may think, it is not theirs and they have not got the right to damage it.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3384 posts

Postby LTD » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:27 pm

$2000 dollar damage deposit, $5000 in flooring $20000 in landscaping having some ones pet destroy it, priceless :smt045
LTD
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1876 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 12th, 2017, 6:41 pm

It's totally and incomprehensible to try and force landlords to accept renters with pets!! It is THE LANDLORD'S private property and the landlord needs total control over HIS/HER private property. There may be issues about discrimination based on color or religious affiliation but I don't believe there are ANY constitutional issues that pertain to discrimination as far as pets are concerned.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

3 people like this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5689 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:15 pm

The world seems to have gone crazy lately so maybe this will see the light of day and become law.

Oh joy! Barking, crapping and possibly even lethal monster dogs to deal with. Even grown adults are not safe from attack and being ripped to ribbons as were that couple who were caught by huge dogs as they tried to get into their apt from the hallway (Vancouver).

Once animals have inhabited a suite the smell will just not go away unless it is taken apart and carpets, drapes, and sometimes floors and walls are replaced.

What a sure fire recipe for neighbour battles.
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.

LTD likes this post.
Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 313 posts

Postby mikest2 » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Certain to reduce the rental vacancy rate to zero !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

LTD likes this post.
mikest2
Board Meister

Liked in: 777 posts

Postby JLives » Nov 12th, 2017, 8:12 pm

mikest2 wrote:Certain to reduce the rental vacancy rate to zero !

How so? Will people who own multiple properties stop renting them out? Not likely. Will properties be put on the market? Will people purchase less properties to rent out? Those sound like good things to bring cost of housing down.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

maryjane48 likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5019 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 13th, 2017, 9:31 am

Smurf wrote:My wife managed two large apartment blocks that allowed pets and after seeing the damage that was done we never allowed pets in any properties we owned and rented. Not everyone was bad but almost every pet apartment was damaged by pets some very badly. IF we were still renting and a law like that came in we would probably stop and sell the properties. You do not make enough money to put up with the possible damage.

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4310 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.